Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Failed

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 fitzcisco

fitzcisco

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:28 AM

Windows 8.1 upto BIOS only. Hello, I'm inquiring about my Samsung All-In-One PC. It doesn't boot up. When you turn it on it only shows logo of Samsung then goes to BIOS. After searching I think it's the HDD. And the there are no values in the boot order, which also is a sign that the HDD is the problem. I know some stuffs about these computer things and I know how to reformat, assemble etc. I just wanna ask, if I upgrade my processor, will it fit my mother board because my old processor is i3 only. And also if I have to change the motherboard,how will I reinstall the OS if I ever manage to save the HDD because I don't have the OS CD and Serial. Thanks  :) More questions to follow after someone answers my questions here.  :)

Edited by fitzcisco, 11 July 2016 - 06:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fitzcisco

fitzcisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:36 AM

Also, what ways can I save my data from my HDD?
Thanks to whoever will reply. :)

Edited by fitzcisco, 11 July 2016 - 08:06 AM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:48 AM

All in Ones are extremely difficult to work on if you have never worked on one before and if you have they are still a pain. I am not sure how easy it is to access your HDD but you can create a bootable linux disk. You may need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI/BIOS and if that does not work use Legacy Boot Mode.

Download the UBCD iso and burn a CD. Boot and select HDD/Diagnosis. Look for Seatools for DOS. If it does not detect your hard drive then reboot UBCD and select PartedMagic at the menu.Click on Disk Health or Gsmartcontrol on the desktop. Run the short and long tests. If you do not have an optical drive use Rufus with a USB flash drive and the UBCD iso.

Besides Boot Order you should have a list of devices including your Hard Drive and optica drive if you have one. If the Hard Drive is not detected in UEFI then it could be the HDD or some other hardware issue.

You can download the 8.1 install media here. The key is embedded in firmware and Windows will self-activate when online.

#4 fitzcisco

fitzcisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for replying, I'll try doing these stuffs later because I have to go to school. But, I just wanna ask, what seems to be the problem if there are no values for the Boot Order, because as I remember, it should contain the CD Drive, USB, HDD as values right? Thanks :)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,250 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

Yes, it should list your devices in the boot order menu. Either the device has failed or the device interface with the motherboard had failed. Do you have a model number of the All in One? There should be another location in UEFI showing the devices detected.

Here is a youtube video showing the replacement of a hard drive on a Samsung All in One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWHzRZ34Ssg

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 July 2016 - 06:48 PM.

#6 fitzcisco

fitzcisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:20 AM

My Samsung All-In-One PC is DP300a2a. What do you mean about "device interface"?

Either the device has failed or the device interface with the motherboard had failed. 

#7 fitzcisco

fitzcisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:25 AM

When I tried running the UBCD from my flash drive, it was stuck at: 

C: HD1, Pri[ 1], CHS=    0-32-33, start=    1 MB, size  7787 MB

FreeCom version 0.84-pre2 XMS_Swap [Aug 28 2006 00:29:00]

Using US-English keyboard with US-English codepage [437]

C:\> _ (And the underscore blinks)

I did what you said about making the USB bootable and etc. I think I did it right? What seems to be the Diagnosis here? Thanks :)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,250 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:13 AM

What I meant by device interface was the connection at the motherboard. It's possible a defect on the motherboard is preventing the drive from being detected but from your last post it does look like the your hard drive is detected but not by UBCD.

If UBCD booted correctly you would not see a C:\ prompt as that is a Windows prompt. You selected iso image during Rufus and browsed to the iso of UBCD, correct? The prompt almost looks like it was from FreeDos. 

Was SecureBoot Disabled? There may also be a setting in BIOS called Legacy or CSM boot that you may need to enable if disabling SecureBoot does not work. When you attach the USB flash drive and then enter UEFI/BIOS is the flash drive listed in boot order?

#9 fitzcisco

fitzcisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:11 PM

I followed your instructions. I made a mistake in RUFUS and I did it right this time, I was able to boot UBCD, when I used Seatools my HDD wasn't detected and I was able to reboot and I used Parted Magic. I was able to find Disk Health/GSmart Control but when I saw it, my HDD wasn't detected in the device list. There was only my Flash Drive and my CD Drive with no CD on it. What does this mean? And what do I do next?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,250 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

It means either the hard drive has failed or your motherboard connection to the hard drive has failed. You need to pull the drive and attach it to another computer either internally, or by using a USB enclosure to verify if the hard drive has failed. A USB adapter like this can also be used.

#11 fitzcisco

fitzcisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for replying :) I'll try and see a technician to know what's really wrong, whether the HD or the Motherboard but I sure hope it's just loose or something. I'll first try to buy an enclosure to check whether the HDD is broken but if it's the Motherboard, I'll just let the technician handle it. Thanks again :)

#12 fitzcisco

fitzcisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 01:45 AM

Hello, I already bought an enclosure and my Hard Drive can't be detected, this means my Hard drive is broken right? Then I bought a new HDD and it still isn't listed when the Secure Boot is enabled, but when I disabled it, I think it's the other value listed in the boot order. I'll just buy a new OS CD to install to my PC. Any ideas on how to salvage my data from my old HDD?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,250 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:21 AM

SecureBoot should not prevent a hard drive from being detected in your UEFI/BIOS. If the new hard drive is not detected in the computer there is a hardware fault that I cannot diagnose. You should take it to a good shop and see if they can determine why the new drive is not detected in the All in One. 

If you placed the hard drive in a USB enclosure and it still was not detected on another computer I would have to surmise that the drive is bad but there is always a chance however small that the enclosure you purchased was also bad. 

It depends on how important the data is on your old HDD. You can send it to a professional recovery service for a quote but it can be expensive. This would be the only way to recover data from a HDD that cannot be detected. 

#14 fitzcisco

fitzcisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

I was able to buy a new OS and I was able to format the new HDD. However I just left the Secure Boot disabled for it to work. I think secure boot doesn't work because it's not the stock OS and HDD provided by the maker or something like that. The HDD enclosure is working, I tried it in my new HDD, it is working. The data is quite important but isn't there still any other way for me to recover it?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,250 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:36 PM

I think your only chance at recovery is to send it to a Professional Data Recovery service for a quote. One of the better ones is DriveSavers.

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users