Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop only starts to System Recovery Options, with W,F and F8 keys not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 turk1964

turk1964

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:57 AM

I have my senior aunties laptop, she asked me to fix it. it will only open to System Recovery Options and the above keys do not work (no idea if that is viral or not). I need help to fix this one please.

Edited by turk1964, 11 July 2016 - 04:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:27 PM

Start with these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

What make and model is the laptop?

What operating system did it come with?  What operating system is on it now?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 turk1964

turk1964
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:46 PM

Hi usasma, and thamks so much for your time the computer is a Toshiba Satellite A300 Model #PSAG8A-05P02D. It came with Vista Installed, some young bloke in town tried to help her and installed Windows 7 Enterprise? over the top and then Windows 7 Professional over that. No idea why, just going on what my Aunt told me. No mem/hardware issues show up, i have run all of the test that will run and nothing shows up, bot still can not get into windows

Edited by turk1964, 12 July 2016 - 02:52 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:15 AM

OK, what do you want to do?

If the System Recovery options don't fix anything, then there's not much we can do to fix it since it doesn't boot into Windows.

Another thing to consider is that the keyboard may be physically damaged.  They're not very difficult to replace, but it does require a bit of skill to do.

Also, is there stuff on the laptop that she wants to save?  We can help to save data, but cannot save programs (they'll have to be reinstalled if the system is reset).

Also, please try these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

This will assess the hard drive and memory - so you'll know if you need to replace that (or not).

Finally, you have to decide if you want to reinstall Vista, or if you want to install W7.
Either way, you'll need recovery media and the product key for the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 turk1964

turk1964
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:47 PM

Hi, Thanks for your input. Unfortunately the HDD stopped working all together and I have reinstalled a new one. I did manage to save all her stuff before it stopped so mostly all good. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. this topic can close now, do I do that or does it just happen.

Thanks again you were a great help

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:44 AM

I'm glad that you were able to save the data before it died.

Thanks for letting us know!

No need to close the topic.  It'll remain open indefinitely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users