Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless devices taking priority over LAN pc

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dannyrj91

dannyrj91

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:09 AM

Will try and paint the picture as well as I can.

I bought a second hand gaming PC last weekend, when picking up the pc the seller told me he had upgraded to windows 10 for the sale but hadnt tried everything and also there was no wirless card as he used LAN. I went straight to an IT shop on the way home and bought Powerline Network Adaptors. I installed all my games and everything was fine till my partner signed on her laptop the my ping went from 30-50 to 300+ which if you play games you will know that is unplayable. After doing some homework I tried upgrading my mobo drivers however couldnt find any for Win 10 (my mobo is not supported). Luckily the seller gave me his win 7 disk so I have now reverted back to win 7. Updated all drivers but the problem still persists.. It seems like because our laptop and tablet etc are newer technology that they are taking priority over me being LAN which I cant seem to understand. I called my ISP and they have check all my lines and have put it down to a software/hardware issue.

If anyone can suggest something I could try I would be greatful, I have posted on a few forums but no help yet.

Thanks in advance,

Danny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:35 AM

"t seems like because our laptop and tablet etc are newer technology that they are taking priority over me being LAN which I cant seem to understand"

Can you explain this? How do you have your laptop connect? Ethernet, wireless, or powerline? Sounds like you hooked up powerline and your latency went up because something is wrong with it. 

#3 dannyrj91

dannyrj91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

Laptop is wireless but my PC is powerline. As soon as the laptop or even my kids tablet connects to internet my ping goes through the roof on my PC.

I am honestly at my wits end, I have been trying to fix the problem for around 1 week. Just now I am not allowing anyone on when im gaming but that is just a short term fix.

I have changed ISP and should be up and running by next week but I am 99% positive the problem is with my PC.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:54 AM

Does it happen if PC is wired to the router and someone uses wireless? Or if PC is powerline and laptop is wired? Sounds like a networking issue. What modem router/gateway do you have?

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:56 AM

what is your down/up for internet? 

bypass the powerlines and connect directly to the router.  Improvement?

Sounds more like you have less available and all that is happening is when someone else is competing for bandwidth that's when you see the issue.

have you done QoS on your router to balance the bandwidth usage?

nothing is wrong with the pc from what you have described

#6 dannyrj91

dannyrj91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

I have never tried directly plugging it into the router as the router is downstairs. I have also tried a USB wireless adapter however the same thing happened.

My ISP is sky so using Sky Hub SR-102-Z.

#7 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:58 AM

Check if you setup QoS on your router, if its a new computer you probably have the existing computers set as a priority over one that has not been setup.

#8 dannyrj91

dannyrj91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

what is your down/up for internet? 

bypass the powerlines and connect directly to the router.  Improvement?

Sounds more like you have less available and all that is happening is when someone else is competing for bandwidth that's when you see the issue.

have you done QoS on your router to balance the bandwidth usage?

nothing is wrong with the pc from what you have described

If I do a speed test I am roughly getting 17mbs up and 3mbs down.

Unfortuanately this router doesnt have QOS but when I switch to EE theirs does.

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:01 AM

EE?  Are you using two routers in series? 

#10 dannyrj91

dannyrj91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:03 AM

EE?  Are you using two routers in series? 

I am currently with Sky however have recently cancelled and will be with EE in the next week or so.

No I am only using 1 router.

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:27 AM

I would do a pc direct wired connection to the existing router to see if you have the same issues thereby eliminating the powerlines as being the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users