Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot / Issues with hardware detection

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 FlameseeK

FlameseeK

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:48 AM

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this one is going to be rough. Anyway, here's my build:

Mobo: Asus P8P67 LE

CPU: I5 2500k @4.3ghz

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

Graphics Card: Galax GTX 970 EXOC

RAM: Ripjaws 4gb (x2)

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb (with Win 8.1)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2tb

PSU: Seasonic 520w 80+bronze

What happened:

[1] Until 2 days ago, my computer was working just fine. When I woke up and attempted to turn it on, a message telling me to "select boot device" and press a key appeared.

[2] I attempted to restart my computer a few times and check my bios settings, but in most instances it said there was "no keyboard" and the "select boot device" message appeared yet again. But sometimes, it does detect it and it's possible to enter the bios menu after spamming del for a while.

[3] Upon succesfully entering the bios menu, I noticed that my HDD hasn't been detected either. Unlike my keyboard, there hasn't been a single time it was detected ever since this issue started. Oddly enough, I couldn't use my keyboard in the bios menu, which I did enter a handful of times, even though I had to press a key to enter the menu. On the other hand, my mouse works just fine at all times.

[4] I'd never used the EZ Flash 2 function before, but it's possible to see all folders inside my SSD without a problem if I use it. Of course, I can't open anything since it's part of the bios menu.

In other words, despite the fact my computer won't boot up at all, it's my HDD and keyboard that aren't properly detected as opposed to my SSD (where Win 8.1 is installed). Pretty odd. Ps: Both my HDD and SSD should be plugged in properly. I've double checked these cables to make sure they weren't lose.

On a side note, my SSD would make a clicking noise in short, regular intervals whenever I turned it on before this issue came up. I think it still did it a few times at first, but now it's like it's not even trying... no noise whatsoever.

[5] At one point, my monitor just wouldn't show anything. There was simply no signal. I tried rebooting a few more times, but soon I noticed the dram led on my mobo was red and decided to hold the MemOK button right next to it. After that, it went back to the previous "select boot device" stage (i.e. the same issues as before). One notable difference is that this time I was able to use the keyboard to navigate the menu... go figure.

[6] The last thing I did was remove the battery for 5 min to see if it would change anything at all, but all that happened afterwards was the usual date/time reset.

And that's about it.

The only thing that's happened somewhat recently that actually made my computer crash was when I spilled water over my mechanical keyboard. It stopped working properly and was typing all sorts of crazy stuff with a single key press. At one point, my computer restarted on its own because of that, so I immediately switched back to my previous keyboard, which solved the issue. I don't know if that could have anything to do with this, but I guess I might as well say everything I can at this point.

I'm really worried about this and it's such a pain to troubleshoot this sort of issue. What makes it worse is that I'd been planning to upgrade to Win 10 this month, something which I'd been putting it off to avoid any issues that might have come with the upgrade, but now this happens and... I hope everything will work out just fine. I'm scared though.

Please help!! I always feel extremely anxious whenever an issue like this occurs because it's much harder to fix it than when you have a regular computer. I'll be forever thankful!

Also, sorry for the length of my post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:36 AM

Most of the times that I have seen a PC where the keyboard wacked out in the BIOS, the problem has been with the ram.  Try one at a time to see if it makes a difference.

On a very few other occasions, it has been the motherboard.......

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:34 AM

What operating system are you running?

This could also be the MBR.  If you have the installation disc for the operating system you can use it to access the System Recovery Options.  If you do have the installation disc I will provide you with a tutorial to use the Command Prompt from the System Recovery Options.  

Command  Prompt is one of these options.

You can use the commands below.

To restore mbr

bootrec /fixmbr

To rebuild mbr

bootrec /fixboot

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 FlameseeK

FlameseeK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:41 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies guys! If you have anything else to add, please let me know. As soon as I go through these procedures, I'll get update this thread and let you all know whether any of them worked.

Most of the times that I have seen a PC where the keyboard wacked out in the BIOS, the problem has been with the ram.  Try one at a time to see if it makes a difference.

On a very few other occasions, it has been the motherboard.......

It's a real pain to do that because I need to unmount my cooler to have proper access to the ram sticks. I think I'll run memtest and see how it goes. That should do the trick, right?

I'll be really happy if that's enough to pinpoint the source of this problem. Last time I went through a repair nightmare like this, I was unlucky enough to have to test nearly every single component. so the only possiblity left that made any sense to me was my motherboard.

What operating system are you running?

This could also be the MBR.  If you have the installation disc for the operating system you can use it to access the System Recovery Options.  If you do have the installation disc I will provide you with a tutorial to use the Command Prompt from the System Recovery Options.  

Command  Prompt is one of these options.

You can use the commands below.

To restore mbr

bootrec /fixmbr

To rebuild mbr

bootrec /fixboot

As I said in my post, Windows 8.1. I don't have the installation disc, but I did use a flash drive to install Windows. So my guess is that it should be possible to do that with a flash drive as well. I'll give it a try as soon as possible!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:06 PM

The tutorial I'm posting was originally for Windows 7, but it will work with Windows 8.1 just as well.  If you have any question, let me know.

You will need to open the Bios and make your USB device the first device in the boot order and your SSD/HDD the second device.

1.  Place the flash drive in a USB port, then start the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Command Prompt link from the list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

8.  When the Command  Prompt opens copy and paste the commands below one at a time, press Enter after each command.

To restore mbr

bootrec /fixmbr

To rebuild mbr

bootrec /fixboot

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 FlameseeK

FlameseeK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:56 PM

Okay, I've just attempted to enter the bios menu today. Oddly enough, I wasn't able to... but my computer did start up just fine, despite the fact that I haven't done anything else that could've made it run properly since my last attempt. I've noticed that it did a quick check on my mouse as if it'd just detected it for the first time or something, not sure why since that's the first time this has ever happened. However, I can't use my keyboard at all.

I've double checked a few things. Firefox seems just fine (located on my SSD) and I was able to run games like The Witcher 3 installed on my HDD as well. Obviously, I had to plug in my xbox controller because my keyboard doesn't seem to be working. The controller works just fine. The device manager failed to detect the keyboard when I searched for new devices. In spite of that, the num lock key has been on at all times.

I though it might have been because I was pressing del during the start up like a mad man. But right now, I've restarted my pc and it still doesn't detect my keyobard (num lock is still green), despite the fact that I didn't press any keys.

Third attempt. I don't know if this makes any difference, but I decided to turn off my computer before I turned it on again instead of restarting it. My keyboard still doesn't work. I press num lock a few times to see if it would work once I got to the desktop screen and I was able to switch it on and off a few times (that was very brief), then it stopped responding altogether. I don't know what to make of this.

Fourth attempt - keyboard still not working. Fifth attempt - I've noticed the only key that worked this time was num lock, but that sometimes it didn't change the color when I pressed the button, which never happened before. The color becomes a little weaker when that happens, but instead of turning off it goes back to green instead. I think I'll try another keyboard, but I highly doubt that could cause my computer not to boot up, so I'm afraid the problem will come back soon.

EDIT: My keyboard works without any problems on my mom's computers. On the other hand, her keyboard doesn't seem to work on mine. These are ps/2 keyboards, but I did turn off my computer before plugging and unplugging them to avoid damaging the port. The only thing that might be vaguely related  to this is once again the time I spilled water on my mechanical keyboard (yet somehow that didn't make the port unusable immediately). But again, even if we were to assume that, that wouldn't explain my computer not booting, would it? Unless spilling water on my keyboard and attempting to use it later also damaged my motherboard somehow... and I have no idea if that's even possible (it did crash once when I attempted to use the keyboard afterwards and it went crazy, but that's it).

Edited by FlameseeK, 11 July 2016 - 02:14 PM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:37 PM

Very few, if any, computers will boot without keyboard recognition from the BIOS; assuming that you have a system beeper (some computer do not these days), are you getting the system beep when you first hit the power button?

If you ordinarily did get a beep when powering-up, and you do not now, that means that the signal power signal from the power supply is not reaching the BIOS. That would explain why you do not see the keyboard registered in the BIOS.

I had to plug in my xbox controller because my keyboard doesn't seem to be working. The controller works just fine

Exactly. The X-Box (Microsoft product) controller took over the ordinary function that the BIOS is unable to do.

At this point, lets try resetting the BIOS more thoroughly than just removing the battery:

> power down, unplug the computer's power cable and remove the side cover of the computer

> press the power button for one second to empty the capacitors

> On your mainboard there should be a small, bi-pole jumper that you pull off and move to the side for 5 seconds, then pull off and return back to the 1st setting. See your mother board manual for details. It is usually located close to the BIOS chip

> Now remove the CMOS battery and let it sit for 5 minutes.

> Reinstall the battery, plug in the power cord and try to boot up.

Let us know what happens.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 891 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:36 AM

Here is your users manual: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8P67_LE/E6348_P8P67_LE.zip?_ga=1.159428669.1279222292.1464040182
(Its a zip file so you have to save it then unzip it to open the PDF)
On page 1-25 are the instructions for using the CLRRTC (BIOS) jumper.

Your last post; though, has me thinking its the power supply (AKA PSU). All modern devices have a 24/7 "standby voltage" which is there to tell the PC/device to turn on when you press the power button and many "motherboards" also feed the standby voltage to the PS/2 ports so they can wake the PC. That voltage is also the least protected and/or monitored voltage in the PSU. When the standby voltage has problems, it doesn't tend to go away completely; but, rather gets very noisy or unstable. If you have another PSU you could use for testing, try it.

#9 FlameseeK

FlameseeK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:37 PM

I've noticed today that the regular clicking sound that'd been coming out of my SSD while booting up has vanished altogether. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I think the sound was gone when I managed to turn on my pc yesterday. Magician still says my SSD is "good", but I'll still run chkdsk on my HDD just in case I assumed it was the wrong drive.

After that, I'll most likely run memtest, then finally attempt the other prodecures mentioned here. For the time being, I'm kind of limited because I need a USB keyboard (unlike my PS/2 keyboard, this works just fine as I expected), which I can only borrow during the day. So I'll probably have to go over the rest tomorrow, but I'll let you guys know what's up asap. Thanks for all the replies so far.

EDIT: chkdsk says my HDD is fine. I guess it's time for memtest.

Edited by FlameseeK, 12 July 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#10 FlameseeK

FlameseeK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:58 PM

Alright guys, so today I checked my HDD and it was fine as previously mentioned. After that, I ran memtest86 and there were 0 errors after a full test (4 passes). I'll see what I can do tomorrow, but at this point I'm beginning to wonder if I'll actually be able to pinpoint what the real issue is. That really bothers me because I feel it could come back at any moment and I'd rather be one step ahead (or even 2).

Very few, if any, computers will boot without keyboard recognition from the BIOS; assuming that you have a system beeper (some computer do not these days), are you getting the system beep when you first hit the power button?

If you ordinarily did get a beep when powering-up, and you do not now, that means that the signal power signal from the power supply is not reaching the BIOS. That would explain why you do not see the keyboard registered in the BIOS.

No beeps whatsoever. I'm also able to turn on my pc even if I don't have a keyboard connected.

Edited by FlameseeK, 12 July 2016 - 11:00 PM.

#11 FlameseeK

FlameseeK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:22 PM

Today I did the jumper + power button + battery removal thing. Here’s what happened afterwards:

[1] For the first attempt, I plugged in my PS/2 keyboard. I only got a black screen though and the dram led was once again red. I held the memok button until it started flashing and my computer restarted.

[2] The screen seemed to take slightly longer to show image than before, but it works just fine now. That being said, my PS/2 keyboard remained undetected. I got a message saying I had to enter the bios menu to set things up or something, so I decided to turn my computer off to unplug the PS/2 keyboard and switch to the USB one.

[3] Plugged in the USB keyboard and unlike the previous attempt, there was no obvious initial delay on the screen. The screen where you can enter the bios menu flashed kind of quickly, so I probably wasn’t able to press DEL in time to enter it. In spite of that, I didn’t get another “enter bios” prompt and windows loaded up as usual. As usual, no problems with the USB keyboard.

[4] I decided to restart to enter the bios menu and see what happened. To my surprise, almost everything remained the same – my CPU OC settings, date, time, both my SSD and HDD were detected as last time, etc. However, my computer only detects one of my two 4gb ram sticks now. In the bios menu, “Memory Frequency” now says “Auto” rather than the previous “DDR3-1333MHz”. These are the only changes. (Is it even normal for everything else to remain the same?)

[5] No matter how many times I restart, only 1 ram stick is detected. When I tried to turn it on with my PS/2 keyboard plugged in again, it took a while to show something on the screen just like before unlike the times I used the USB keyboard. The delay lasts just a few seconds though.

I wonder if it would be safe to skip the whole mbr thing now (I can still do it for just safety if it’s recommendable). Correct me if I’m wrong, but this seems to be an issue with my motherboard or PSU, doesn’t it? Because it’s all over the place. I’ll see if I can get another PSU to do some testing, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to. As of now, what do you guys think about this?

Edited by FlameseeK, 13 July 2016 - 03:24 PM.

#12 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 891 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:51 PM

The PC is, yet again saying that it is not happy with your memory and flakey is as bad as it can get!

I just built a gaming PC where the guy had bought all of the parts and I had him return the "cooler" which made it impossible to get to his memory sockets. I used the stock Intel one instead and he hasn't had any problems.

#13 FlameseeK

FlameseeK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:25 PM

I've managed to borrow a PSU and should be doing some testing tomorrow. That being said, the person who lent me his PSU has been going through an issue where his computer restarts before showing anything on the screen, so I'm afraid it might be his PSU. No harm in trying though, since this could help me rule it out one more possible source of this problem.

To be fair, I'd be surprised if it turned out to be my memory. I'd buy new memory in a heartbeat if I got at least one error with memtest. For something "as bad as it can get", it'd expect not just one or two, but rather multiple errors. Because my PS/2 port is pretty much as bad as it gets as well (i.e. useless), my HDD was also just like that until I removed the battery, and my SSD wasn't even considered a proper boot device. But just like my memory with memtest, chkdsk says my HDD has no errors and Magician says my SSD is in "good" condition.

Either way, let's see what happens in the PSU test! I could also attempt to rule out the memory issue by borrowing my friend's memory, although it's going to be a hassle to remove my Noctua and I highly doubt my memory would pass a full test if it were defective to the point of affecting almost every single device connected to my motherboard.

By the way, I think I'll be attempt upgrading to Windows 10 while I can still turn on my computer. I hope everything goes well, because if it decides to die on me and not start up again like before, I'll probably miss the free upgrade. 

#14 alonectorch

alonectorch

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:22 PM

I'm having a really similar issue, but it's not new and I have no Idea what to do

#15 FlameseeK

FlameseeK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:31 PM

Now that I think about it, I don't even know if I can keep the Windows 10 upgrade if I change my motherboard. Worst of all, it seems pretty much impossible to find a decent LGA1155 motherboard model that allows me to overclock my i5 2500k. If it's really my motherboard, it's probably cost my an arm and a leg to buy a new CPU + Mobo. I don't think I'll be able to afford that kind of upgrade anytime soon. I guess I'm screwed big time, unless it's really my memory or PSU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users