Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Various issues with AMD graphics card - driver or hardware?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:43 PM

Running 2x r9 290X 4GB GPUs.

Issues:
  • Can't set up eyefinity over 2 1440p displays (over DL-DVI)
  • Game freezes in vram-intense moments (map loading, changing graphics settings) in fullscreen mode @ resolutions greater than 1920*1200 - but not windowed fullscreen
  • The popular overlay application Overwolf becomes unresponsive almost instantly.
I have heard of issues when one installs AMD drivers with both GPUs inserted into the motherboard. Should I remove a card and try clean-installing the latest AMD Crimson? Should I RMA the card or cards? Is there any program like memtest86 for a GPU's VRAM?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:53 PM

TBH I got no idea. Have you tried uninstalling, and reinstalling an older driver?

I can't update from 16.2.1 Crimson because of a bug that still hasn't been fixed that causes the drivers to not load at all :( The display just freezes, until I force-reboot into Safe Mode, and roll back: https://community.amd.com/message/2734317

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:13 PM

Drivers load fine on mine, I think I will check my RAM with memtest86+, reinstall drivers with a single card only, and see where to go from there. However, The first drivers I ever installed were the initial crimson release (yes, the buggy one that had issues with fan control in overclocking mode), and as the problem hasn't changed in the various updates, I think it's something else.

P.S: Can Windows Defender interfere with driver installs? I know that most people recommend temporarily disabling the Active Protection module of your AV before installing video drivers.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:08 PM

AMD drivers do have problems installing with AV on because the QT, which although is available on both Linux and Windows, is not designed with AV scanning. Before reinstalling though, turn off Crossfire and see if the bugs occur again

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users