Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Long Should I Wait For New Technology

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Temo

Temo

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:13 PM

Well everyone knows about Windows and their "We requiere better technology to power our OS" secrete logo...

So after Windows Vista comes out to the public how long should I wait till I can start buying new stuff to create a BRAND NEW SYSTEM? I mean... those graphics cards that can bearly run the Aero Theme should lower their price because that is the new requierement of Windows.
The biggest pain in this world is Debuging!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:27 PM

From what I've read, a X300 SE could handle the Aero theme okay, but laged a bit when you have alot of tabs open.

But any midranged card and up should be able to handle the Aero theme just fine. So like a 6600GT/7600GT and up should be able to do Aero and X800/X1600XT and up should be able to handle Aero fine.

But then there's all these rumors of DirectX10 video cards. But I'm pretty sure they'll offer a low end, mid ranged, and high end range of DirectX10 cards, like as nVidia and ATi has done with their G7 series and 1K series.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:32 PM

I would think it is not a smart step to plunge into the uncharted waters of Vista for at least six months, after which the Operating System, the hardware manufacturers, and game programmers will have had some time to iron out any problems.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Temo

Temo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:43 PM

Yeah I was also thinking about waiting about half a year... Especially when the first 2-core cpu's came out I had several bugs when it came with old games not understading the architecal of the 2-core system...

also the news of the quat has been bugging me and I really want to see if people have any problems with it.
The biggest pain in this world is Debuging!!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:45 PM

Vista works quite well (build 5456) on my Toshiba M45 laptop - and Aero even works on it also (yes, I've tweaked the performance to get it to work smoothly).

That being said, I'd say that there are several factors to consider:
1) Video card technology. The AGP slot is disappearing rapidly. In order to expand your system you should look at the PCI-E cards.
2) Hard drive technology. The IDE interface is going the way of the AGP card. Look at the SATA drives with quick response times to get the best performance out of these. Also, consider investing in a second, fast drive to put your pagefile on - this will reduce accesses to the main OS drive and will increase your performance.
3) RAM is hard to forecast. DDR is starting to fade, DDR2 looks like it may go the same way - but it's the best bet right now. At least 2 gB of it to make things run smoothly (and reduce your reliance on the pagefile). Get the fastest RAM that you can afford
4) CPU - there's not much in the way of programming out there for either the x64 version or with dual core support. But it's going to be coming down the road soon enough. Eventually we'll all be running x64 versions on dual (or even more) core CPU's - so get ahead of the game now and you won't be left behind when these programs come out.
5) Chipset - basically, IMO, the newer the better.
6) Since the technology supports Vista right now - don't wait for Vista. Rather, wait for the technologies (items 1 - 5) on the hardware to mature. That way you'll get a solid system that can run almost anything.

IMO, most of the technologies involved have matured sufficiently to let you get a good Vista system right now. Undoubtedly there will be improvements in these technologies before Vista comes out - so, bide your time with your current system until you absolutely have to upgrade. Then enough new tech will be out - and you'll be able to get good, solid performance at a reasonable price.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:24 AM

Oh, and one thing you can do which I've read about Vista. Instead of buyign a second hardrive, you can just buy a USB flash stick for putting that page file on.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#7 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:15 PM

Hey, what is this 'Aero' I keep hearing you guys talk about? :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:50 PM

The new 3D accelerated UI in Vista.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

Cool! So what does it do?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#10 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:30 PM

Uhmmm, it's Windows but it 3D. So your computer has to actually render frames as it does for games. Ad with a brand new 3D interface comes all new little ways to do things. Liek you could have a 3D cube and on each side you have diffirent web pages to look at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users