Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:45 PM
Vista works quite well (build 5456) on my Toshiba M45 laptop - and Aero even works on it also (yes, I've tweaked the performance to get it to work smoothly).
That being said, I'd say that there are several factors to consider:
1) Video card technology. The AGP slot is disappearing rapidly. In order to expand your system you should look at the PCI-E cards.
2) Hard drive technology. The IDE interface is going the way of the AGP card. Look at the SATA drives with quick response times to get the best performance out of these. Also, consider investing in a second, fast drive to put your pagefile on - this will reduce accesses to the main OS drive and will increase your performance.
3) RAM is hard to forecast. DDR is starting to fade, DDR2 looks like it may go the same way - but it's the best bet right now. At least 2 gB of it to make things run smoothly (and reduce your reliance on the pagefile). Get the fastest RAM that you can afford
4) CPU - there's not much in the way of programming out there for either the x64 version or with dual core support. But it's going to be coming down the road soon enough. Eventually we'll all be running x64 versions on dual (or even more) core CPU's - so get ahead of the game now and you won't be left behind when these programs come out.
5) Chipset - basically, IMO, the newer the better.
6) Since the technology supports Vista right now - don't wait for Vista. Rather, wait for the technologies (items 1 - 5) on the hardware to mature. That way you'll get a solid system that can run almost anything.
IMO, most of the technologies involved have matured sufficiently to let you get a good Vista system right now. Undoubtedly there will be improvements in these technologies before Vista comes out - so, bide your time with your current system until you absolutely have to upgrade. Then enough new tech will be out - and you'll be able to get good, solid performance at a reasonable price.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able. - John
(my website: http://www.carrona.org/
)**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack
. ** If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.
<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.