Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0xc00021a nightmare

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcon5

pcon5

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:19 PM

Hey guys, hope I'm posting in the right area and hope you can help. For the past couple of months I have been getting this error code when trying to start my laptop after or during a Windows update. It has been haunting my dreams. I have temporarily fixed it a few times now with system restore but that isn't working anymore. This left me so desperate that I tried to refresh my computer but am given this message "the drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again." Frustrated I said screw it and tried to do a whole reset and it says "unable to reset your pc. A required drive partition is missing." I searched Google and tried to find solutions and had no avail. I don't think my hard drive is screwed up because system restore has fixed this before but now is saying "to use system restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system and then select system restore" I hope I didn't screw anything up by trying command prompts that I saw on google when I typed in 0xc000021. Anyways I don't have a boot disk, I think there is one built in to my computer? Am I up the creek without a paddle or does anyone have any suggestions. I hope I put this in the right place. Thank you so so so so so much in advance guys.

-patrick

Edited by pcon5, 10 July 2016 - 07:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:29 PM

Hello pcon5 and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer :)

I hope I didn't screw anything up by trying command prompts that I saw on google when I typed in 0xc000021.

Which commands did you run?

BTW do you see this screen?

0xc00021a.png

A few questions

================

Which OS are you running?

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 pcon5

pcon5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:36 PM

Hello thank you for responding.
I ran sfc/ scannow, chkdsk, and one other one I can't remember. My operating system is Windows 8 but I believe recently the computer updated to Windows 10 for free and I can't see that picture on my iPhone.

Thank you,
Patrick

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:39 PM

When the computer used to work, did you see this screen (Windows 10)

Windows-10-start-menu.png

Or this screen (Windows 8/8.1)?

image74.png

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#5 pcon5

pcon5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:40 PM

Windows 10 screen

0 user(s) are reading this topic