Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have to constantly keep repairing my wifi to stay online

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Punisher

The Punisher

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:48 PM

Hi,

Im using my old laptop for python coding and generally Youtube. Its a Toshiba Tecra M2.

It has PAE disabled by default so I can only run Windows XP on it. Which I am happy with but the only problem is that the built in wifi keeps losing connection randomly. I have to then right click on the icon and click repair for it to reconnect.

The driver was picked up automatically by Windows. I have even tried updating the driver from Toshiba website but still the same problem.

To avoid this problem I installed Linux and tried running that, but Linux is horrible on my machine, dont know why. Browsing is extremely sluggish and youtube is unwatchable. I believe its because of no proper drivers for my nVidia card. I have tried Ubuntu, Xubuntu and even Lubuntu. All have the same problem.

But in Linux the wifi connection does not drop. Its stable as it should be,

So now I have removed Linux and am back on Windows. but this wifi problem is driving me up the wall. Would appreciate some help here.

Here is a detailed speccy report if needed: http://pastebin.com/yqcXCTAj

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

Download and install the latest intel driver for the 2200bg here. You should have 32bit XP. I had to link to Google cache as I could not access the site direct for some reason.

For the distros you mentioned you need to install proprietary Nvidia drivers. Ask about this in the linux forum.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 July 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:29 AM

I suggest trying LXLE.

It's based on Lubuntu, but is designed to support older hardware.

#4 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:30 PM

Download and install the latest intel driver for the 2200bg here. You should have 32bit XP. I had to link to Google cache as I could not access the site direct for some reason.

For the distros you mentioned you need to install proprietary Nvidia drivers. Ask about this in the linux forum.

Thank you, I installed the driver from the link you provided. Hopefully it will be more stable now.

Regarding the proprietery drivers, I did try to install them but was presented with an error every time at building kernel stage

I suggest trying LXLE.

It's based on Lubuntu, but is designed to support older hardware.

Did not know about this distribution. Thanks.

But I think the problem with my laptop was more due to the nvidia driver.

#5 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:19 PM

Hi,

bumping this back up again as I still have the same problem. Before it was occasional but now I have to repair the wifi once every 10 minutes.

I installed the latest driver as mentioned above.. What else can I do?

I know for sure that this is not a hardware problem because I do not face this issue in Linux. In any Linux distribution the connection is always stable.

Thanks for reading

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:18 AM

Does rebooting solve the problem?

Download Windows All in One Repair and only check Network Repair. If that does not work then download Netadapter Repair and select Advanced Repair.

It may be time to move to linux. The Advisors in the linux forum can give additional instructions on installing Nvidia drivers. Sometimes it takes additional commands to install correctly. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users