Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Install Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit(OEM) on Newly Built PC: Driver Missing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KArthur92

KArthur92

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:39 PM

Hello,

I am having issues installing Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit(OEM) on a newly built PC. The error message that I am receiving after clicking to install windows is this:Error_message_1_Driver_missing.jpg

I understand that this is a common issue that people face when trying to install Windows 7 as evidenced by the plethora of threads scattered across various forums on the web related to this very issue. Thus, based on my research through these threads, I've tried to solve this issue but to no avail. I understand that the particular fix to this problem varies depending on what motherboard the computer has. These are the components in my computer:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110N

Links for motherboard:http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5738&kw=GA-H110N#ov

http://amzn.to/28REidx

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz
http://amzn.to/28T2k8k

RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4
http://amzn.to/28P9GXK

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO M.2 250GB
http://amzn.to/28P9PKY

PSU: EVGA 430W 80+ (3 Year Warranty)
http://amzn.to/28REfi9

http://amzn.to/28Os5pA

For more information on my build, you can watch this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn_Lw8e7yFk

My build is the same as the one in that video.

For this build, I decided to not install an internal optical drive, so I opted for making a bootable flash drive for windows 7. Keep in mind, that I actually have the physical DVD; I didn't torrent the ISO or anything like that. I've used multiple methods(only two out of the five methods seemed to work) just to make sure this wasn't the cause of the drive issue. The first method I tried can be found in this video:

This video demonstrates the command prompt method for making a bootable flash drive for windows, which involves these commands:

disKpart

list disk

select disk 1

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

aCTIVE

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

d: cd boot

cd boot

bootsect.exe/nt60 e:

It seems that this method was a success. I receive the driver is missing error message when using the bootable flash drive created from this method.

The second method I tried was the one recommended my Mircrosoft, which was to use their Windows USB/DVD download tool. I created the ISO file from my windows 7 DVD with imgburn. The tool did not accept this file. Thus, I used this fix for that particular issue:http://www.intowindows.com/fix-the-selected-file-is-not-a-valid-iso-file-error-in-windows-7-usbdvd-download-tool/

After applying that fix to the ISO file, the tool accepted it, but it failed at 99%. After that, I tried the fix in this article:https://ardamis.com/2012/03/03/windows-7-usbdvd-download-tool-unable-to-copy-files/

However, it still failed at 99% after applying this fix. So, I created the ISO file once again with imgburn, but at the slowest speed(slow burn) to see if this would make a difference. This failed as well even after applying all the necessary fixes. I tried this process on a different computer to see if the other computer was causing the issue and it still failed. I also tried it on different flash drives to which it failed for that as well. Thus, I was unable to make a bootable windows flash drive with this method.

The third method I tried was with Rufus, but this failed as well. I received this error message:  Write error [0x00000015] - retrying...
  Write error [0x00000015] - retrying...
  Write error [0x00000015]
  Error writing file: [0x00000015] The device is not ready.

The fourth method I tried was with WinsetupfromUSB 1.6. This program didn't even accept the ISO I created from my Windows DVD, so I used this iso: http://downloads.jmay.us/Downloads/Windows7Prox64.aspx

It accepted this iso, but it didn't seem to succeed. The program indicated that it completed the process, but I encountered a black screen when trying to use the bootable windows flash drive created with this program.

The fifth method I tried seemed to work. I used the program wintoflash. With the bootable flash drive I created with this method, I receive the same error message that I receive with the bootable flash drive I made with the first method. However, the key difference is that with this one, I am unable to access the repair options that can be found on the "Install Windows" screen. The error I receive when trying to access the repair options is this: Error_Message_Repair_Options_Win2_Flash.

However, here is the kicker. I tried the flash drives created from the first and fifth method on another computer, to see if I would receive a different result. And it seemed to work. I didn't receive the same error message that I received on my newly built computer and was proceeded to the screen to accept the license agreement.

Another thing, I tried installing windows with an external optical drive, but received the same error message.

Based on this, it seems that I've succeeded to create a bootable flash drive with the first and fifth method and that I may have to alter the settings in the motherboard BIOS to get around this error message. I am just not sure what exactly I need to do in the BIOS. I've flashed the BIOS, but this didn't fix the problem as well.

Besides all that, I will outline all the steps I've took thus far to try to solve this issue:

1. I tried to move the flash drive to another USB port, particularly a 2.0 port, after going to the "install windows" screen. This didn't work. I tried every single USB 2.0 port in the computer.

2. I tried changing the boot priority in the BIOS, with USB being the first one, and the SSD being the second.

3. I tried this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo7tyFFjSsA

4. I tried to install the drivers on the computer, and received several error messages, particularly for this driver:Intel SATA Preinstall driver(For AHCI / RAID Mode) and the display audio driver. These are the error messages I received for these drivers:Intel_SATA_ACHI_Error.jpg

Error_Display_audio_driver.jpg

Also, when trying to install the USB 3.0 driver, the computer freezes, forcing me to manually shut down the computer.

5. These seem be all the steps I've taken thus far that I can remember right now. If I happen to remember any other measures that I've taken, I will edit the post and provide them.

Some other things to note:

1. When flash drives are inserted in the computer, they do not show up after inputting diskpart>list disk in the command prompt:

Diskpart_Listdisk_Doesn_t_show_Flash_dri

I find this rather odd to say the least.

2. If it is of any merit, with this computer,  I am able to use Ubuntu through the "try" option. In Ubuntu, the flash drives can be accessed(this is how I moved the drivers on the computer).

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I want to provide as much information as possible. Thank you for any help that can be provided.

Edited by KArthur92, 10 July 2016 - 07:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:57 PM

You are very thorough!  I will be learning quite a bit from you!  Question:  where from is this OEM Windows?  If it's never been installed elsewhere before, if it's being installed for the first time ever, then I'm perplexed that it doesn't install.  I'll be watching this thread.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,015 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:03 PM

From your motherboard manual you have a UEFI BIOS. If UEFI is enabled then you need to initialize the disk as GPT in order for Windows 7 to be installed and boot from UEFI. If SecureBoot is an option in UEFI make sure it is disabled.

I would use Rufus again to create the bootable USB flash drive but select GPT for the partition scheme in the dropdown box.

When you get this install window press Shift + F10. This will bring up a command prompt window. Type the following

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0  Edit: This should be disk 0 unless you have another hard drive with an OS installed. 

clean

convert GPT

exit

exit

Continue with the install. At this install screen select Custom, If at this screen you do not see your hard drive listed download the Mass Storage driver here

You want the Intel Pre-install driver. Unzip the files to another flash drive. At the screen that lists what drives to install press the Load Drive Link in the bottom left. Browse to the files on the USB flash drive. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 July 2016 - 07:05 PM.

#4 KArthur92

KArthur92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:14 PM

You are very thorough!  I will be learning quite a bit from you!  Question:  where from is this OEM Windows?  If it's never been installed elsewhere before, if it's being installed for the first time ever, then I'm perplexed that it doesn't install.  I'll be watching this thread.

Thank you. I bought the windows disk from Amazon.Yes, this whole thing is very frustrating. I've been trying to resolve this issue for the last couple of days.

#5 KArthur92

KArthur92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:17 PM

From your motherboard manual you have a UEFI BIOS. If UEFI is enabled then you need to initialize the disk as GPT in order for Windows 7 to be installed and boot from UEFI. If SecureBoot is an option in UEFI make sure it is disabled.

I would use Rufus again to create the bootable USB flash drive but select GPT for the partition scheme in the dropdown box.

When you get this install window press Shift + F10. This will bring up a command prompt window. Type the following

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0  Edit: This should be disk 0 unless you have another hard drive with an OS installed. 

clean

convert GPT

exit

exit

Continue with the install. At this install screen select Custom, If at this screen you do not see your hard drive listed download the Mass Storage driver here

You want the Intel Pre-install driver. Unzip the files to another flash drive. At the screen that lists what drives to install press the Load Drive Link in the bottom left. Browse to the files on the USB flash drive. 

Secure boot is disabled and surprisingly, I was able to create the bootable windows flash drive with Rufus. However, after following all your steps, the issue still isn't resolved. I am unable to download the mass storage driver because windows doesn't recognize the flash drive with the driver for some reason. The last time, I got the drivers on the hard drive with an Ubuntu live USB, but now I am unable to do it with Ubuntu. For some reason, Ubuntu is displaying the hard drive as having a storage space of only 8.4 gb, when the hard drive in the computer has 120gb. Also, I tried to download that mass storage driver before, but received an error message. The error message is in my original post.

Edited by KArthur92, 10 July 2016 - 08:19 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,015 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:33 PM

Do you still get the same error when using the latest Intel Storage drivers here? I am not sure why Ubuntu see the storage as 8.4GB. 

You want to download and unzip the F6flp-x64.zip file

Edit: I think the issue is your M.2 SSD and Windows 7 which does not have the drivers for this drive interface. See the following thread for possible solutions.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2817439/install-windows-x64-sm951-drive.html

A possible kludge workaround is to format the drive as GPT using the bootable version of Partition Wizard. This new version may have the correct driver to see your M.2, Use Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. If it sees your disk then delete all partitions, Initialize the disk as GPT, and then create a partition and format it NTFS. Mark it Active

Boot your Windows 7 install disk and see if it detects the drive.

I think if you create a bootable Windows 10 flash drive using the Media Creation Tool it will detect the drive. You can use your Windows 7 key to install Windows 10 but that is your decision.

Edit: I don't believe your SSD is NVMe from what I can tell. At least there is no driver on the Samsung Support Page. 

Edit Edit: See page 29 or your MB manual regarding your M.2 controller configuration. There may be something there.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 July 2016 - 09:10 PM.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:18 PM

There is one thing you can try.  Perhaps a local business-oriented computer store's internal tech can use and attempt to install their legal copy of Windows 7.  If the fixit tech can install their copy, then we might want to take a close look at the Amazon copy.  And at that time, you have a fork in the road:  you either purchase their legal MS or OEM Windows and return to Amazon the Amazon copy OR you continue the fight of installing the Amazon Windows.  The fixit shop cannot leave their copy on the computer if you do not buy it.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 July 2016 - 01:51 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 KArthur92

KArthur92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:18 PM

Do you still get the same error when using the latest Intel Storage drivers here? I am not sure why Ubuntu see the storage as 8.4GB. 

You want to download and unzip the F6flp-x64.zip file

Edit: I think the issue is your M.2 SSD and Windows 7 which does not have the drivers for this drive interface. See the following thread for possible solutions.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2817439/install-windows-x64-sm951-drive.html

A possible kludge workaround is to format the drive as GPT using the bootable version of Partition Wizard. This new version may have the correct driver to see your M.2, Use Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. If it sees your disk then delete all partitions, Initialize the disk as GPT, and then create a partition and format it NTFS. Mark it Active

Boot your Windows 7 install disk and see if it detects the drive.

I think if you create a bootable Windows 10 flash drive using the Media Creation Tool it will detect the drive. You can use your Windows 7 key to install Windows 10 but that is your decision.

Edit: I don't believe your SSD is NVMe from what I can tell. At least there is no driver on the Samsung Support Page. 

Edit Edit: See page 29 or your MB manual regarding your M.2 controller configuration. There may be something there.

To avoid any more complications. I decided to install windows 10. I wasn't aware that the OEM Windows 7 product key would work for windows 10, but it kind of makes sense, since they're offering a free Windows 10 upgrade till July 29. Thanks for the help, John and Roland. I am very grateful. Hopefully, the installation goes well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users