Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual monitors and making sense of HDMI, DMI, and VGA cords

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kristin42167

kristin42167

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:08 PM

Hi, 

My first problem is that I know very little about computers, which is why I'm having the following problems.

Late last year, I decided to set up a home office so I could telecommute a few days a week. To be budget friendly, I bought the necessary items one at a time, as I found them on sale.  Briefly, what I ended up with is:

• Microsoft Natural Ergonomic keyboard
  • ASUS desktop, model number M32CD_A_F_K20CD_K31CD Series (from the properties tab on the "this PC" icon.  I also found a shorter number that may or may not be a model number: 208HB5H
  • the tower came with a graphics card that said it supported dual monitors.  It's an Intel (either "R" or "K"; it's not clear) HD Graphics 530

When that arrived, I wanted to plug it in to make sure it worked since I bought it online. Initially, I only had access to an old HP old monitor, I think they were called CRT flat screen monitors.  The computer booted up fine, though the display was like an old-time DOS looking screen, so I repacked it until I could find a deal on flat screen LED monitors.

• I then bought an ASUS 24" LED Monitor, model # VE247H.  I could only afford one at the moment because I bought a dual monitor stand so I could elevate both the monitor and regain desk space.  A co-worker said I could use an older monitor that I had lost the VGA cord to (which is why I used the boat anchor to make sure the desktop tower worked). This new monitor came with two cords, a VGA (has blue adapters on each end) and a DMI (has white adapters with the pins that have two separate squares of 9 pins in each square and then a long pin that looks like a horizontal hyphen). 
  • The second monitor I'm trying to use is a 19' or 20" (I think) wide screen Compaq LCD flat screen monitor, model number: S2022a and as luck would have it, I located the VGA cord.

I didn't know about needing a splitter cord, so I set up the ASUS monitor and have been using just the one monitor.  My son-in-law texted me a picture of a VGA cable splitter from Wal-Mart and said that's what I need.  I went to Wal-Mar, they don't carry them in the store, so I went to Office Max, and they don't either - but the sales person was at least trying to be helpful, even though she confused me more.  She said I could get an HDMI cable and put that in my new monitor and connect it to the tower, then hook the small monitor to the tower with the VGA cable. That didn't sound like that would work, so I left without buying anything and here I am, on this forum, trying to figure out what I need before I just order what my son-in-law said I needed, because I'm not sure that's ultimately what I want. I spent the extra money on the monitor so I could get the HDMI, etc. 

Is there a splitter that is half HDMI and half VGA or DMI (because I actually think the small monitor has both VGA and DMI holes to screw the cords into).  Is that even possible?  

My roommate tried to hook up both monitors following the Office Max lady's instructions, but he said something about the tower can only output to one of the monitors.  So I asked him to just hook up the big monitor with an HDMI cable I had on hand.  All I got was blue screen and then the monitor would go to sleep in less than 30 seconds and the mouse wouldn't work.  He used the menu screen from the monitor to click over to HDMI, but the screen remained blue until it went to sleep.  

I have the new monitor reconnected with the VGA cord. Since I don't know where anything is with Windows 10, I can't find anything that says "Control Panel" but I came across a picture of a computer that I think said devices, but I don't remember how I found it, so I can't be sure. It had a weird description in the dropdown tree/list of the only monitor listed under (I think, drivers?) and I think that's for the small monitor. I didn't see anything for the new monitor).

I don't know if you would also need to know that I'm running Office 2016 (which is as confusing as Windows 10...)

I would appreciate any help any member is kind enough to offer...I do ask that your response be simple-minded, as I'm sure the above explanation screams "NOVICE".

Thank you,

Kristin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chucky3375

Chucky3375

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:36 PM

The women was correct, rig the one monitor up with a HDMI cable and the other with a DVI cable (I'm unsure if VGA and HDMI will work together). Make sure both are plugged into your graphics card. My monitors are connected the same way with HDMI and DVI. Also, to find the control panel look at your taskbar on the left you should have a search bar that has the text inside "Search the web and Windows", just enter control panel in that and hit enter if you're still unsure on where to find it.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Chucky3375, 10 July 2016 - 06:38 PM.

#3 kristin42167

kristin42167
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

Thank you for the tip on how to find the Control Panel, I will find that very helpful!

I'm needing a little bit of direction about the other part.  What does a graphic card look like?  Isn't it internal?  If I open the case, my warranty paperwork on the desktop becomes void. And which monitor gets that "output jack" plugged into it...I think it's color-coded in a light green plastic and it reminds me of the plug thing on my earbuds that I stick in my phone to listen to music.

My other question is if I hook up each monitor with their respective cables, will each monitor be able to have different programs on them? The way I use my computer is to log into my employer's network using a Citrix key. I planned to use the new monitor for my database work and have my small monitor used mainly for my work account Outlook (because the change requests I do come from the server to my email and I can send emails to the requesters once I finish).  

Thank you again! 

Kristin

#4 Chucky3375

Chucky3375

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:06 AM

Sorry for my delayed response it was quite late last night. I can't find much information on the graphics card or PC you own, probably due to me doing a 10 second Google, but I believe (please correct me wrong) it may be on board graphics which means it's trough your motherboard, and not an actual graphic card. However if you do have a graphic card it'll be near the bottom of the case usually. If you look at the back on the out side of the case, you should see inputs near the bottom of your tower similar to this; 

Yzy2nuh.jpg

If you see this, then that's where you plug both of your monitors in. The inputs are inside the yellow squares (white is DVI and black is HDMI). If you do not see this, then you need to plug both of your monitors near the top, like this (assuming HDMI and VGA work together, I'm sorry I don't know this, if they don't then you need a graphic card I believe unless your motherboard has DVI then even better);

lL4uEhM.jpg

Blue being VGA and the other being HDMI. I'm not 100% sure if my information is correct, but I do know I own a Geforce GTX 960 and have two monitors currently, both connected the same way I'm trying to explain here. Feel free to correct me wrong.

To your other question, yes you can have different programs on each monitor. Two monitors is basically one desktop stretched. You can game on both monitors and you can watch films on both. If you had two 24" monitors, think of them both as a big 48" monitor. So yes you'll be able to have your database work on one monitor and the second for Outlook. After you setup your two monitors they may be configured wrong, with your mouse slide it to your left monitor, if it doesn't go to your left monitor then slide the mouse to the far right and keep going until the mouse appears on the left monitor. If sliding it right takes you to the left monitor then it's configured incorrectly. I can help you with this if that happens. Hope this helps :) Sorry I'm no professional it's just how mine is setup, I'm sure someone with more knowledge can help if what I have said doesn't work for you. Also it's not DMI, it's DVI :)

Edited by Chucky3375, 11 July 2016 - 05:11 AM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:39 AM

If your machine looks like the images posted by Chucky3375 there is a very good chance that the on board video connections are disabled because of the added video card.  In some machines you can enable them in the BIOS, in others they won't work if there is another video card installed.

#6 Chucky3375

Chucky3375

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:45 AM

If your machine looks like the images posted by Chucky3375 there is a very good chance that the on board video connections are disabled because of the added video card.  In some machines you can enable them in the BIOS, in others they won't work if there is another video card installed.

I'm hoping he has a graphic card to avoid using the motherboard connections, however if he doesn't have a graphic card then there should be no problem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users