Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wps files not transfering to Win 10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 roadbum1660

roadbum1660

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:00 PM

I have Win 7 on my home computer and recently was forced to purchase a H/P notebook with a Win 10 operating system on it. I now notice that files loaded onto a thumb drive show up looking like garbled code when I try and work with them on the notebook. I received a complementary subscription to Microsoft office on the notebook but nothing is readable. What do I need to do to be able to read these files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:37 PM

WPS files are either old Works files or WPS office files. Do you remember which application you used to create these WPS files?

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:55 AM

Who made the old, Windows 7, PC?

If it was Dell, you should have a Microsoft Works installation CD.  Install it on the new PC.

If it was HP/Compaq, the installation will be in a folder named SWSetup.  Copy the Works setup folder to a flash drive, copy it to the new PC, and then run Setup inside the folder. 

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:30 PM

I just checked my Windows 10 laptop.  I have old WPS files created with MS Works that have transferred and open fine in MS Works.  If you don't have MS Works, the free LibreOffice can be installed, and it will open them.  I tried Word 2007 and Word 2016, but they wanted to download a converter that is apparently no longer available from MS.   :axe:  

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users