Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Issues with taskbar/ cortana/websearch and left hand side of taskbar is gone

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Scruffy1012

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:25 PM

Hey everyone, i've been having a lot of problems with windows 10. Recently i've had an issue with the taskbar, it started where when i left clicked on a program that i had pinned to it would not show up the menu like it usually does and just does nothing, and later on the start button wouldn't open up at all when i clicked it, now on my main screen (im using a dual screen setup) the left hand side of my taskbar is gone which had the internet access, speakers, notifications, language and date/time plus the show hidden icons and question mark. They are all on my second screen, but none are on my first (main) screen. I've tried using all of the different guides such as

5 Steps to Fix Your Windows 10 Taskbar Issues
How to fix your Windows 10 Start Menu - BT

and none of them worked, i followed every step, i did the powershell thing and everything else, i even tried make a new account and it was working for about 5-10 minutes and then it did the exact same thing its doing on my main account.

Can anyone please help ? I would really appreciate it
Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:06 PM

First off, do you have the Fall Update (aka 1511, Threshold 2, TH2, build 10586) installed?

To find out, type "winver" (without the quotes) into the Run dialog and press Enter

As an aside, you may want to wait until 02 August when the Anniversary Update comes out (to see if that'll fix things).

Beyond that, I'd try these things in this order:

- DISM/SFC repair (DISM doesn't work with W7, although SFC does)
Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

- RESET using the "Keep My Files" option

- Repair install of the OS (Thanks to FreeBooter!):
"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10"

- RESET using the "Remove Everything" option

- Wipe and reinstall from the Recovery Partition (if so equipped)

- Wipe and reinstall from Recovery Media - to include deleting all partitions.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

Edited by usasma, 11 July 2016 - 06:08 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users