Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server on home network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JoeMason2016

JoeMason2016

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

Hi All

Just so you can see what I am talking about in my post I have attached a picture to make it easier.

Basically, I would like to know if in the setup on my picture, would work with me turning off DHCP and allowing the server to take over DHCP duties, and also allow me at a future date to route everything via the server before getting to the internet.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attached File  Network Plan.jpg   52.73KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

Just my opinion but a firewall router is what you want to run internet through and not a server with all of its vulnerabilities.

wireless to wireless link is your weak link.  It is possible to have the server do dhcp but the question is why?

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:00 PM

What is the server for? Just DHCP for IPv4? If so, I think the first issue will be to make sure both wireless links have intranet access. Next, you want to make sure the firewall in the fiber router doesn't block port 67/68(DHCP) and that the ARP requests aren't leaving your LAN. 

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:30 AM

I'm with Wand3r3r the biggest issue I see is connecting the server wirelessly to the rest of the network.  Normally you want your server hard wired to provide the best access and availability.  Though I'm not sure that Wand3r3r sees that you're running your Internet through the router and not connecting the server directly to the Internet, at least from my understanding of your diagram.

Other than that you should be able to have the sever perform DHCP and switch DHCP back to the router at a later date.  What device will you be having perform DNS?  If it is the server the wireless may also affect web performance.

#5 JoeMason2016

JoeMason2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:25 PM

Hello

Thanks for your replies

Just to clarify a couple things:

Yes there is a router at the beginning, just easier to show it as I did.

The wireless link I show, isn't just a usb wireless adapter, im using a pair of Open Mesh OM2P units, which, when setup correctly, can be the equivalent of a wired network.

There is a very good through put on the wireless link, as I hve had a gaming PC on the other end (wireless end) and it performs perfectly with my 52mb fibre internet.

As it is FTTH i'm getting around 5mb/sec download.

So I think the internal network is quite good with regards to internal speed etc.

I basically want, all PCs, phones, tablets etc to go via the server before hitting the internet.

At this stage I dont have much of an idea why, but I like to experiment with things, mainly to see if  I can do it, but I just like getting things up and running.

So the answer to "why" i dont really know, just want to. 

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:59 PM

"There is a very good through put on the wireless link,"

The issue isn't so much throughput as latency. Even a few milliseconds can mess up DNS parsing. Also, QoS would be difficult to manage through the bridged links. 

Is this a learning experiment or do you plan on running the server this way long term? From a networking perspective, the setup could never be made optimally IMO. If your looking to learn why, try hooking it up and measuring any different in speeds of internet. If you are looking for guidance on configuring the server, what software are you using?

#7 JoeMason2016

JoeMason2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

I think I would be ok with configuring it etc, as google has the answer haha.

I'm not too bad with the configuration, as I could figure it out.

I'll be using Windows Server 2012. i suppose the only issue I cant figure out yet, is how i get all the computers etc to go via the server.

Once I know that i could figure out testing whether it works like I would like it or not really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users