Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 start button not working after MalwareBytes scan

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#196 Christophe_F

Christophe_F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

I told you you should make fat32 active as we have created this partition to support both booting from UEFI and BIOS and i have also told you when you boot your computer with Windows 10 Setup DVD or USB when you try to restore backup image you will not be prompted to select any user as you so that is what happened.

Yes I know this partition needs to be active to support UEFI boot but I had to temporary set the FAT32 partition as inactive to be able to create the system image (which worked). Because I forgot to set it back as active I had the issue in the WinRE that no user was found so I could not proceed with the restore of the image.

I agree about the booting from DVD or USB, but I hope you understand this was a workaround. The fact that I had no user shown when accessing the WinRE from my harddrive or partition was not normal. Luckely it was quickly solved by reactivating my FAT32 partition.

Edited by Christophe_F, 10 August 2016 - 06:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#197 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:46 PM

Are you telling me with my command line instruction in my tutorial you could not backup FAT32 when it was set to active?

Posted Image

#198 Christophe_F

Christophe_F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:18 AM

Are you telling me with my command line instruction in my tutorial you could not backup FAT32 when it was set to active?

Yes you're right, there are even 2 problems

1) UEFI must be disabled

2) No FAT32 partition can be used for backup

First I need to disable UEFI otherwise I get an error message with both the command line and the built in system image.
With UEFI enabled I get in both cases the error 0x807800A1.

When I have UEFI disabled, I can use the wbadmin command (or the built in system image) ONLY when it does not include any FAT32 partition.
Basicly I can resolve it by temporarely setting the FAT32 partition to inactive and set any NTFS partition active (as long as I can boot Windows it works).

If I try to backup with the command line (or the built in function for system image) when I have any FAT32 partition included I will get the following error:

"One of the source volumes specified has an invalid format and cannot be protected. Only volumes formatted with NTFS/ReFS can be protected.

It seems pretty clear WIndows does not allow to backup FAT32 because of safety reasons, but I didn't find any official explanation about this yet.

Edited by Christophe_F, 11 August 2016 - 04:28 AM.

#199 Christophe_F

Christophe_F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:07 AM

I noticed something strange about my so called "system reserved" partitions.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to me my system reserved partitions are in fact EFI partitions

Volume 1     F   UEFI         FAT32  Partition    399 MB  Healthy    System
  Volume 2     E   System Rese  NTFS   Partition    360 MB  Healthy

When I created both partitions I used the "Bcdboot C:\windows /s E: /f All" command from post 94 to copy the boot files.
What I find strage, both partitions contain the X:\EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi and X:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Bootmgr.efi files. (where X = F or E).

I was expecting to find the file "bootmgr.exe" and not "*.EFI".
The bootmgr.efi is for EFI partition like in this tutorial for example: (note that I did NOT follow this tutorial, I just use it here as example)
http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/52515-windows-8-cant-start-due-missing-efi-partition.html

How come I get EFI partitions when I use the "Bcdboot C:\windows /s E: /f All" command?
I was expecting a normal System Reserved partition and not EFI partition.

I'm not sure I understand the exact difference between EFI partition and a normal System Reserved Partition.
From what I understand the EFI partition is only needed for GPT disks to be able to boot the UEFI firmware, while the System Reserved Partition CAN be used to store the boot files to boot the OS but these boot files could also be stored on the partition with the OS itself. The system reserved partition is only mandatory if you want to use Bitlocker. > This is what I know from reading about it so please correct me if this is not true.

Edited by Christophe_F, 11 August 2016 - 06:10 AM.

#200 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:01 AM

Below is the output from my computer who has GPT disk and both UEFI and Secure Boot enabled.

wbadmin start backup -allCritical -backupTarget:E:
wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
© Copyright 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Retrieving volume information...
This will back up SYSTEM(EFI System Partition) (100.00 MB),Win(C:),(\\?\Volume{1478506e-c53e-4237-8547-d9fc16f0ab6d}\) to E:.
Do you want to start the backup operation?
[Y] Yes [N] No n

The operation ended before completion.

The  SYSTEM(EFI System Partition) (100.00 MB) partition is the FAT32 formatted partition so looks like when backup run on MBR disk you get the error message that FAT32 partition cannot be backup. Your choice is to disable UEFI and Secure Boot and make a backup image of System Reserved partition that is formatted as NTFS as you know this partition cannot be use by the UEFI firmware to boot Windows OS so your choice is to restore your computer with  backup image while computer booted  UEFI and Secure Boot disabled then after restoration finished if you want to turn on UEFI and Secure Boot create a FAT32 100MB System partition as i have shown you  how on one of my posts.

Posted Image

#201 Christophe_F

Christophe_F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:30 AM

Below is the output from my computer who has GPT disk and both UEFI and Secure Boot enabled.

wbadmin start backup -allCritical -backupTarget:E:
© Copyright 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

This will back up SYSTEM(EFI System Partition) (100.00 MB),Win(C:),(\\?\Volume{1478506e-c53e-4237-8547-d9fc16f0ab6d}\) to E:.
Do you want to start the backup operation?
[Y] Yes [N] No n

The operation ended before completion.

The  SYSTEM(EFI System Partition) (100.00 MB) partition is the FAT32 formatted partition so looks like when backup run on MBR disk you get the error message that FAT32 partition cannot be backup. Your choice is to disable UEFI and Secure Boot and make a backup image of System Reserved partition that is formatted as NTFS as you know this partition cannot be use by the UEFI firmware to boot Windows OS so your choice is to restore your computer with  backup image while computer booted  UEFI and Secure Boot disabled then after restoration finished if you want to turn on UEFI and Secure Boot create a FAT32 100MB System partition as i have shown you  how on one of my posts.

Do you mean I need to create a 100MB system partition following your instruction from post 94, but then with FAT32 like you asked in post 145?

I ask this because I already have created this before but it was 399MB back then, it's volume 1 I have right now:

Volume 1     F   UEFI         FAT32  Partition    399 MB  Healthy    System

I know you can also create a specific EFI partition with this command:

create partition efi
format quick fs=fat32

But this does not work on my laptop because I need GPT to be able to create it.

Let me know if I need to retry your instruction from post 94 & 145, I'm willing to try but I'm not sure it will work because I tried it before with no luck.

Edited by Christophe_F, 12 August 2016 - 05:31 AM.

#202 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:17 PM

After restoring the backup image if you want to enable UEFI and Secure Boot you need to create 100 or 350 MB Fat32 partition and use below command to copy files boot for UEFI and BIOS to this FAT32 partition using below command which allows your computer to boot with either UEFI or BIOS firmware. About marking the FAT32 partition active tell you the true i have test this process with MBR disk and i created two partitions with NTFS and FAT32 files systems with below command and even do i mark the NTFS partition as active computer was able to boot with UEFI or BIOS firmware but i notice when i boot computer to Windows 10 recovery environment then there is no option to Troubleshoot only shutdown system option was available this happened because computer was booting with UEFI so  when a disable the  UEFI firmware guest what all the links for troubleshooting issues where back same happens if i mark FAT32 active.
Bcdboot C:\windows /s E:   /f All

Edited by FreeBooter, 12 August 2016 - 07:18 PM.

Posted Image

#203 Christophe_F

Christophe_F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:24 AM

Hello FreeBooter

I've succesfully created a 100MB FAT32 partition including the boot files.
I can boot with UEFI enabled or disabled (no problem this far).

But I have the same problem when trying to backup with the wbadmin command, it clearly says I cannot backup FAT32, only NTFS/ReFS:

This is from my CMD (I only translated the part that was in Dutch, but you can clearly see my computer does not allow to backup FAT32.)

C:\windows\system32>wbadmin start backup -allCritical -backupTarget:D:
(C) Copyright 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

One of the source volumes specified has an invalid format and cannot be protected. Only volumes formatted with NTFS/ReFS can be protected.

C:\windows\system32>

Edited by Christophe_F, 14 August 2016 - 05:24 AM.

#204 Christophe_F

Christophe_F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:40 AM

Hello FreeBooter

I've succesfully created a 100MB FAT32 partition including the boot files.
I can boot with UEFI enabled or disabled (no problem this far).

But I have the same problem when trying to backup with the wbadmin command, it clearly says I cannot backup FAT32, only NTFS/ReFS:

This is from my CMD (I only translated the part that was in Dutch, but you can clearly see my computer does not allow to backup FAT32.)

C:\windows\system32>wbadmin start backup -allCritical -backupTarget:D:
(C) Copyright 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

One of the source volumes specified has an invalid format and cannot be protected. Only volumes formatted with NTFS/ReFS can be protected.

C:\windows\system32>

For your information: I get the same error message with UEFI enabled or disabled, it does not matter if I change it.

#205 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:30 AM

You need GPT disk that is way you cannot backup FAT32 System partition.

Posted Image

#206 Christophe_F

Christophe_F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:18 AM

You need GPT disk that is way you cannot backup FAT32 System partition.

Yes indeed I also think this is the issue.
I'm only able to create a backup or system image when I temporarely set a NTFS partition as active.
I don't want to take the risk and convert my disk to GPT, I have too much data, but I will use GPT next time I reinstall Windows 10.

I guess you can close this topic too since everything on my laptop works now.
I read everywhere MBR is more compatible than GPT but for Windows 10 this is not true, they should warn their customers!
Microsoft should not allow to install Windows 10 in any way on MBR if it does not fully support all functions like the built in system image.

This is not something you can fix (only Microsoft), but  I'm glad I know this now for my future installations of Windows 10.
Thank you for your help and patience, keep up the good work!

#207 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:31 AM

You are very welcome and i agree don't convert MBR to GPT disk its risky process.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users