Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Drive Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:52 AM

I quite like this facility and have been using it to archive my photos. I use it with 2 PCS and often view files on my android tablet. I normally upload from one PC only and let the files sync to the other PC (an older laptop) for backup purposes.

All fine until my latest upload when I started to have problems. Firstly a load of newly uploaded files got duplicated and I had to disconnect cloud and main PC in order to carefully remove the extra files. This has happened before, annoying but not a big deal, I think it's caused by glitches in the Internet connection.

This sorted I went on the backup laptop to let it sync up to the cloud and download the new files to the local google drive folder. This it would not do. Normally the newly 'uploaded to cloud' from the main pc are automaticalky downloaded to the second pc. This time nothing. Couldn't see anything stopping it. Tried adding them manually to the local google drive folder but this just caused duplicate files to be uploaded to the cloud and a resulting mess to be sorted out.

Any ideas how I can fix this (other than starting again of course)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:24 AM

+1 for your problem description, spot-on, earlier I had the same problem!  What I had to do finally was get rid of the auto-sync between my hard-drive's "Google Drive folder" and the Google Drive cloud.  Now, within the cloud, I manually delete the old files that are to be immediately replaced with updated files.  To this day, I have not figured out to set Google Drive HD/cloud sync correctly for future use.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:49 AM

Thanks. How do I disable auto sync? Is it just a case of Quitting Google Drive,? In which case not sure how this helps as it will just reset itself when the PC is next booted up?

Kind of defeats one of the benefits of this type of backup, instead of it doing things automatically you have to remember to do it manually.

#4 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:47 PM

May have found a solution. Decided to disconnect problem PC from cloud drive and then reconnect it. When I reconnected it scanned the files on the
local folders and the cloud folders to check for differences. It found the files it hadn't downloaded before and added them to sync cloud and PC successfully this time.

Looks like there was a glitch or 'bug' in the sync process that was cleared my resetting the connection. Did worry that disconnecting would mess things up more but thankfully all seems well. I can continue using Google Drive with confidence.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:36 PM

+1 for you!  Now, if you have the ways and means, please do a full image backup of your OS partition onto any external media, in case something BigTime goes wrong.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:23 AM

Seems OK again now. However I still keep getting random files being duplicated for no real reason. Not a major issue, easy to remove, this time I took google drive offline before doing so to avoid up/download issues. Bit of a nuisance though, wish I knew what was causing it and if I can stop it happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users