Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD drive not recognised by Windows 8 setup

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dezzanator

dezzanator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:29 AM

I've recently installed a 480GB SSD (Crucial M500) in my Lenovo Yoga 500, but I can't get Windows 8 setup to recognise the disk.

When going through setup, no drives are found. The BIOS however does recognise the disk.

The USB drive with the Windows 8 installation has been tried in both USB 2 and 3 ports with no difference. Changing some settings in the BIOS, such as UEFI/Legacy, Secure Boot on/off hasn't helped either.

Any ideas appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

What USB device are you using to make the installation?

Where did you get the installation media?

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS to make the USB device the first device in the boot order and the SSD the second device?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dezzanator

dezzanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:42 PM

I'm using a Sandisk pen drive with W8 downloaded from the Microsoft download tool - it's been used without issue on another PC previously.

The boot order is already in that order - there's no problem with booting from the USB drive.

#4 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:12 PM

Did you run Diskpart on the SSD just prior to install?

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#5 dezzanator

dezzanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:38 AM

Did you run Diskpart on the SSD just prior to install?

Yes, Diskpart didn't recognise the SSD either.

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:08 AM

I need the rest of the model number which should be something like Yoga 500-14IBD. What is it?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#7 dezzanator

dezzanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:45 PM

Ah ok, the model number is Yoga 500-15IBD.

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:21 PM

Support page for your laptop: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Yoga-Series/yoga-500-15ibd?beta=false

About the 10th entry down is a BIOS update from November 2015.  Have you already done that update?

If not, I'd put the original drive back in and do it!

#9 dezzanator

dezzanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:10 AM

Yes, I did indeed upgrade the BIOS prior to removing the old SSD.

#10 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:53 AM

Are there any partitions already on the SSD?  Windows does best when the drive is dead blank.

Do you have any other PC you can connect the new SSD to for testing?

#11 dezzanator

dezzanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:52 AM

Nope, no partitions on it at all. I've tried connecting it to another laptop as an external drive and it works fine. I haven't got access to another laptop to connect it internally.

#12 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:26 AM

Try unplugging the Yoga's main battery with the ac adapter unplugged, too, and then pressing the power button for 60 full seconds. Apparently it fixed the recognition problem for some others.

#13 dezzanator

dezzanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:46 PM

That's one of the first things I tried. Before that the laptop would take several minutes to boot to the USB drive and only display a blank screen - after doing that it now boots normally to the USB within a normal time. In other words that 'trick' did do some good but the SSD remains hidden.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:19 PM

Download the intel rapid storage driver for 64bit here. Unzip the file and place the files on the root of a USB flash drive. When you get to this screen select Customize and then at the next window click on the Load Driver link in the lower left. Browse to the files on the flash drive. Is your drive then detected?

8-71.png?w=920&h=690

#15 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:34 AM

I haven't needed to load storage drivers for anything but SCSI or RAID in I don't know how long; most certainly not on Windows 8 or 10!
Lets try something else just to be sure....
Get a copy of Roadkill's Diskwipe ( http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P14/Disk%20Wipe ) and unzip it on the PC you can connect the SSD to as external. Connect the SSD to the working PC. Run DiskWipe and be freaking careful to select the SSD or you'll wipe your own PC! Just use the "Blank Disk" button to the right and click erase. You only need to let it get the first 1% of the SSD; but, if you want to be really safe (NTFS keeps stuff on the last sector, too), let it finish.
Put the SSD back in the Yoga and try the install, again. It ought to work in UEFI mode, too.
When I get PC's abandoned to me (usually because I setup a new on for them which I helped them buy), I secure wipe the drive and then fill it with zeros. I then run several diagnostics to verify the drive is OK before I mark it as good. If the PC is usable or I need a drive to setup a "refurbished" PC, I'll pull one of those fully tested drives to do the install. I have done this or supervised it's doing, well over 5,000 times (on desktops, laptops, and ultra-portables) and never had a problem.
Since the BIOS sees the drive, something is a little weird, so lets try making sure the drive is really blank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users