Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI cable quation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LikeAboss

LikeAboss

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:20 AM

Is it possible to conect my pc to the TV using an HDMI cable and run on the TV a film, while I will be playing a game on my pc.
In other words can I display a film on tv but play games on pc without them going on the TV?
Windows 7
Samsung Smart hub TV
regular 60fps HDMI cable

Edit: Moved topic from Audio and Video to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:39 PM

Yes this is possible but may require special configuration depending on your TV. What model is it? Also I assume your computer has 2 HDMI outputs?

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:49 AM

Almost every TV made has more than one HDMI input and a selector switch to select which HDMI input is being processed.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:11 AM

You can even use your remote to select between different HDMI inputs.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:05 PM

You can even use your remote to select between different HDMI inputs.

I believe the original poster wants to display a movie on a TV either while playing a game on a computer monitor at the same time or be able to switch between the TV (for watching movies) and computer monitor (for playing games).

It appears they do not want to switch between two inputs on a TV.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

Is it possible to conect my pc to the TV using an HDMI cable and run on the TV a film, while I will be playing a game on my pc.
In other words can I display a film on tv but play games on pc without them going on the TV?
Windows 7
Samsung Smart hub TV
regular 60fps HDMI cable

Do you want to switch between using the TV (for watching movies) and a computer monitor (for gaming and other "computer" things)? Or do you want to use both at the same time with the movie displaying on the TV but the game displaying on the computer monitor? It is not completely clear from your post. I am going to assume the former.

If it is the former, then the easiest and cheapest way is to just plug and unplug the HDMI cable that you want to use from the computer. The possible down side of this is wear and tear on the HDMI connector on your computer.

The other cheap option is to just mirror the content to two displays. This will mean that the same content will display on both screen at the same time. Then, if you don't want to see it on the TV, then turn off the TV. If you don't want to see it on the computer monitor, then turn off the computer monitor. This option would require your computer to be able to support displaying to two displays (i.e. more than one video output from the computer). If you are using this for a gaming computer, then more than likely this is the case. The potential downsides of this option are 1) if the two displays do not have the same resolution, then they will both be set to the lesser resolution of the two devices; and 2) it might affect the graphics card performance when gaming (even if the TV is off, the graphics card may still think it is trying to drive two monitors even if they display the same thing).

The last option (that I can think of off the top of my head) is to use an HDMI switch box. This will allow you to send one video output (presumably HDMI or DVI-HDMI cable) to the switch box and then switch the output between the computer monitor and the TV. If you need just a switch box (see below why you might need more), then that would be something like $40+/- US. If your only outputs from the computer are DVI (would just need a DVI to HDMI cable) and/or VGA (would need a VGA to HDMI converter), then you would also need to get the sound to the TV. This would either entail an audio cable going from the computer directly to the TV or an audio cable going from the computer to an DVI to HDMI converter with audio (not just a cable, but a converter box).

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:28 PM

I am not actually clear exactly what the OP was asking.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:40 PM

When I was shopping for a matching desktop and laptop as retirement gifts, the desktop was looked I for had to have both a VGA or DVI video output AND one HDMI.  The monitor was DVI driven at 1920 by 1080 and the HDMI was directed to a 47 inch HDTV.  The TV was set as extended display and programs could be opened on the monitor and moved to the TV, like a movie player or Netflix, go back to the monitor and play a game.  The sound would be confusing, no way to split those out.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:03 AM

FWIW:  OP last active 15 July.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users