Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen with only Mouse Cursor

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dizzman

Dizzman

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:56 PM

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting here so sorry if these are the wrong subforums!

The computer is an prebuilt hp envy h8-1419. 

Last week I went to turn on the family computer and after the boot loading (where you see the HP logo with the loading circle underneath), a black screen appeared with a beep.  I could move the mouse around and it seemed like basic functionality worked (I could turn on voice assistance) but I couldn't get it to load the desktop.  CTRL-ALT-DEL didn't work either.  I did see the power/hdd/cdrom lights on the tower working, but the hdd light was permanently on (not flashing) like it was stuck loading or something.

I tried rebooting a bunch of times and at one point I did get to the desktop, but it was glitched where the taskbar was a faded colour, the windows button didn't work, none of the desktop icons opened, and the right side of the screen had a black bar.  Unfortunately, I shutdown the computer before thinking of trying ctrl-alt-del.  I then tried to plug the desktop into another monitor and the same issue persisted so I doubt it was the graphics card.

Afterwards I ran HP's UEFI thing and did a start-up test: it failed at the "Hard Disk Short DST" test (it also gave me an error code that came up with nothing on Google).  The HDD Smart, pci device, processor, and memory tests passed.

Next I booted into Recovery Mode and tried to use a restore point a week earlier, but after it was done the same issue still happened.  I also randomly started getting a Windows Blue Screen Error 0xc0000225, which seems like a hard drive failure?

Then I tried refreshing using system recovery, but got a strange message, "The Drive where Windows is installed is locked."  Automatic Repair also failed and told me to go to "system32/logfiles/srt/srttrail.txt", which is useless to me since I can't even load the desktop.

Afterwards I tried unplugging the hard drive and booting without it hoping it would reset everything.  I reconnected the drive, but nothing changed except now in the cmd prompt it shows X: as the default drive instead of C: I think.

I tried using sfc /scannow, but got the error message, "Windows Resource protection could not start the repair service".

bootrec /rebuildbcd was met with another pointless message, "Total identified windows installations: 0; completed successfully".

Using chkdsk c: /f /x /r told me that "Windows scanned the file systems and found no problems"

At this point I unplugged the hard drive, plugged it into a different computer and found that I could access all of my files there fine.  I'm currently scanning it with panda antivirus, but I doubt that will come up with anything. 

Anyone might know what the problem is or what steps I should take next?  I've been at it for 3 days scouring the internet for clues and nothing has been working.  At this point I'm considering just backing up all my files and then doing a factory reset, although I'm not even sure if that will work.

Please help :(

Edited by Dizzman, 10 July 2016 - 12:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:10 AM

The "Hard Disk Short DST" is an indication that your HD is nearing death. I suspect the hd corruption killed the video drivers.

#3 Dizzman

Dizzman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:34 AM

The "Hard Disk Short DST" is an indication that your HD is nearing death. I suspect the hd corruption killed the video drivers.

I was thinking of simply replacing the hard drive, but since it's an HP tower I don't have the Windows 8 key so I can make install media; I only have the boot/recovery CDs I made a long time ago, which will only reformat it.

Is there a way to find the windows serial number from the command prompt?

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:10 AM

Try this command.

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:16 AM

I believe that command is for the key stored in the UEFI bios & if you get the key running that command, then that means the key is stored in the UEFI bios. Your set of cd's should be able to install clean and use that key. Everything automagically works. 

Edited by technonymous, 10 July 2016 - 01:17 AM.

#6 Dizzman

Dizzman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:24 AM

Try this command.

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

This command doesn't work for me.  It only says:

ERROR:
Description = Not Found

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:04 AM

if you can get into bios and your system uses UEFI bios it should be in there. You can also try installing belarc advisor program it will show the key. Be warned though some don't show the proper key. Speccy from the downloads section sometimes won't display the right key.

#8 Dizzman

Dizzman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:27 AM

How would I view the key in the mobo bios?  I don't know where to find it on the HP UEFI either..

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:28 AM

I would suggest running both belarc and speccy & if the keys differ then copy both. Sometimes upgrading Windows Speccy might read the old OS key and not the new and belarc shows the new. They are kind flaky lol. The file structure of Windows changes dramatically between Windows 7, 8 and Win 10.

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:34 AM

How would I view the key in the mobo bios?  I don't know where to find it on the HP UEFI either..

They all differ so I can't give you a definite answer. Some show right on the first page and others they hide them deeper in the menu. You'll just have to poke around in there.

#11 Dizzman

Dizzman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:38 AM

So do you mean I use Belarc and Speccy to search for the key in the hard drive while plugged into my other functioning computer?  Because I can't even load the desktop from that hard drive currently.  And from there I would use the key to make a Win8 installation USB or something and attempt a reformat?

Anyways thanks for the help, I need to sleep now before my brain fries :)

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:28 PM

If you know for certain that the computer has a UEFI bios and it came with Windows 8 software, then it is likely that the key is embedded in the bios. As you reinstall from the cd's it will enter those keys automatically and register with Microsoft again. A lot of the major issues that arise is when you replace the motherboard. Since you're dealing with a dead dark system then you can try some methods here to try and recover the key. Other than that you can try reinstalling and hope it registers itself. Otherwise you will need to buy a OEM copy of Windows 8.

#13 Dizzman

Dizzman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:49 AM

I just scoured the UEFI and didn't see the Windows key anywhere in there so I guess I'm out of luck.  Do you happen to know where I can find the Windows 8 installer though?  It might be last hope to see if my computer can detect the key from it, but I only see 8.1 on this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:09 AM

I just scoured the UEFI and didn't see the Windows key anywhere in there so I guess I'm out of luck.  Do you happen to know where I can find the Windows 8 installer though?  It might be last hope to see if my computer can detect the key from it, but I only see 8.1 on this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/

That is the correct link for the media creation tool for 8.1. It should pull the key from firmware and self-activate. If the install keeps requesting a key, which it should not, you can always pull the key from firmware using a live linux disk.

Edit: See this post. You can use Parted Magic on the UBCD iso.

Edit Edit: Windows 8.1 will still activate from a Windows 8 key.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 July 2016 - 08:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users