Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying Ram

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 im_no_good_with_computers

im_no_good_with_computers

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:42 PM

im looking to buy 512 mb ddr dimm ram i know this is the kind i need o and its pc 3200
i know that this is the right kind for my pc but the pc 3200 confuses me
does this ram have to be the same speed as the ram thats already in my pc?
or is there a certain interface that my pc only accepts?
or can i just buy this ram as long as its ddr dimm?
a quick response would be greatly appreciated
thanks
o and my pc is a compaq presario p4 512 ram
well actually i guess the problem is the ram i want to buy is 400 mhz
if my pc is a p4 2.3 ghz is it probable that my ram speed is 400 mhz?
i know i should check but im away from home and found this good deal on ram where it is really cheap and its not back home so i want to buy it here

Edited by im_no_good_with_computers, 12 August 2006 - 02:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:58 PM

The site listed below makes it easy for you to figure out your memory options with its advisory tool.

/www.crucial.com/crucial/pvtcontent/memorytype.asp?model=&memtype=CHOOSE

"Which upgrade should I choose?
Typically the easiest and most cost-effective way to improve your computer's performance is to add more memory. So, which memory is the right one for you? There are two ways you figure this out. The first is to spend some time and learn what terms like ECC, DDR, DDR2, registered, unbuffered, and parity, mean. Not a DRAM brainiac? Don't worry, there's an easier way.
You really can't make a wrong choice when you're using the Crucial Memory Advisor™ tool. Find your system in the Memory Advisor tool and make a selection — all the upgrades the Memory Advisor tool lists for your system are guaranteed to be compatible, or your money back.

The biggest decision you'll have to make using the Memory Advisor tool is figuring out how much memory you need."
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 lcplsexton

lcplsexton

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:40 PM

From what I've learned, if the ram speed is faster or slower than what your system is built to handle, it MAY work, but you run a great risk of ( A ) damaging components or ( B ) wasting money if it doesn't boot or if the system doesn't recognize it. Your best bet would be to buy the same speed (PC3200, PC2700, etc.) that your current RAM is.

Edited by lcplsexton, 12 August 2006 - 03:41 PM.

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

I'll give you an example.

If your motherboard was built to handle PC2700,PC3200. And if you right now have 1 512MB stick of PC3200 in your computer. And you then put in a 512MB stick of PC2700, your PC3200 would "underclock" itself to the PC2700 speed.

You'd be better off buying the same type of RAM as you already have. It's pretty straitforward with the Crucial memory advisor. Just don't buy cheap RAM, as you get what you pay for.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:14 PM

Crucial.com has a memory configurator that will detect the kind of memory needed for your system.

#6 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:59 AM

APPARENTLY (not too sure, but I heard it on the grape vine)... that if you go to crucial.com, they have a tool that checks what type of memory is compatible with your MoBo.... LOL, I couldn't help myself!
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users