Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defrag program??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:22 PM

I was using MyDefrag but I got a message that it had to delete it for some reason.  So. what defrag program do you all use?  My "D" drive is Solid State so I just wanted to defrag my "C" drive.  Do I not need to defrag the Solid State drive??TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:50 PM

Go into Control Panel, Security and Maintenance, open the Maintenance section, you will see Automatic Maintenance and it runs on a daily basis. You have an SSD and you shouldn’t be defragging it yourself. From what I understand Automatic Maintenance includes keeping the SSD optimized as well as defragged without user input.

Do SSDs require special care and feeding?

http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/do-ssds-require-special-care-and-feeding/

“Defragging: The classic method for boosting performance on conventional drives isn’t needed on SSDs. The mechanical parts of a standard drive cause various amounts of read/write latency. But an SSD is completely electronic; accessing one data location is just as fast as accessing any other. Not only is it pointless to rearrange your files on an SSD for improved performance, the process wastes time and causes needless drive wear.”

The real and complete story – Does Windows defragnent your SSD?

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

#3 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

Thanks so much for your quick reply.  I really appreciate it.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:54 PM

Your welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users