Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi button keeps turning off by itself

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hogesinwa

hogesinwa

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Location:Crossed the Atlantic, via Havana. Now in Tampa Bay area for a while.
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:18 PM

Hi.

I have an issue with my Network Settings.  As I try to connect to the internet on the wifi in our marina, the WiFi button turns itself off and I get the message "WiFi Turned Off".  I didn't turn it off.  I go to network settings and turn it on (slider button).  It immediately flicks itself off again.  I didn't do it, it just does it itself.  This really, really, really irritates me.  If I wanted something that made decisions for me I'd buy an Apple.  I don't want it to do anything except what I want it to do.  Using a Realtek adapter.  Had a look at the device settings and though there seem to be 4 copies of this in there, none of them are grayed out and all report that they are working.  Why I need 4 is beyond me, though.

Anyone got any ideas?

If I have a good internet connection, this does not happen.  However, most marinas have garbage internet and this is where it happens.

Hoges

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

My guess is you have a physical switch for wifi on your laptop that is turned off, which is forcing the software in the laptop to turn off. Also make sure you laptop has power plugged in or atleast is fully charged. If it only happens on battery power, I can show later how to disable power options which might be forcing the wireless to turn off to conserve power. What model laptop do you have?

Edited by Trikein, 10 July 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:50 AM

Hi.

This really, really, really irritates me. 

Hoges

Irritation don't help You. It would be better to learn the how a thing works. 
And in this cannot anyone help. Simply must learn itself.

#4 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

My guess is you have a physical switch for wifi on your laptop that is turned off, which is forcing the software in the laptop to turn off. Also make sure you laptop has power plugged in or atleast is fully charged. If it only happens on battery power, I can show later how to disable power options which might be forcing the wireless to turn off to conserve power. What model laptop do you have?

#5 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:26 PM

No, no switch, though I have had them before. The power supply bit is interesting and that may have something to do with it. I am using a Toshiba Satellite laptop. The same thing has occurred on my HP Elitepad 900, though only once, not multiple times like on the Toshiba, which made me suspect a Windows 10 fault. I'll investigate the power thing. Thanks for the positive help. Hoges

#6 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:46 PM

Hi.

This really, really, really irritates me. 

Hoges

Irritation don't help You. It would be better to learn the how a thing works. 
And in this cannot anyone help. Simply must learn itself.

Well, that goes a long way to solving nothing.  

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:15 PM

Can you find the model number of the Toshiba laptop? See here for what the sticker should look like.

Next thing I would suggest is making sure the wireless adapter drivers are up to date. Enter your model number here for the latest drivers. If the wireless software is crashing because of a partially corrupted driver, then that might be what is forcing it to turn off. Also, "garbage" wifi could might use older routers that have compatibility issues, compounding the problem. Does the issue happen at home or on a private network? 

#8 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:33 AM

Can you find the model number of the Toshiba laptop? See here for what the sticker should look like.

Next thing I would suggest is making sure the wireless adapter drivers are up to date. Enter your model number here for the latest drivers. If the wireless software is crashing because of a partially corrupted driver, then that might be what is forcing it to turn off. Also, "garbage" wifi could might use older routers that have compatibility issues, compounding the problem. Does the issue happen at home or on a private network? 

Thanks Trikein.  The site doesn't recognise my laptop because it's an Australian model and it will only recognise US or Latin American laptops.  When I try to go to the Australian site, my model number doesn't appear for some reason.  It never ceases to amaze me how a company can issue a piece of equipment and then deny it was ever part of inventory (not only computer companies, I might add)  The unit is a Satellite P850, with a model number PSPKFA-OE9001.  There seem to be 4 Realtek Drivers in the mix, all of which report that they are working.  Hoges

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:48 AM

See if downloading and installing this driver for the wireless adapter in the PSPKFA-OE9001 helps. Might want to backup or create a restore point before you do, just in case, but you should be able to roll back the driver just in case. Also, see if you have more then one wireless program in the bottom right corner of your screen when on your non-metro desktop, next to the clock. If you do, try right clicking on the one that isn't Windows, and click on disable or quit. 

#10 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:20 AM

See if downloading and installing this driver for the wireless adapter in the PSPKFA-OE9001 helps. Might want to backup or create a restore point before you do, just in case, but you should be able to roll back the driver just in case. Also, see if you have more then one wireless program in the bottom right corner of your screen when on your non-metro desktop, next to the clock. If you do, try right clicking on the one that isn't Windows, and click on disable or quit. 

There are two icons for Realtek Wireless LAN.  When I hover over them, BOTH say "no Realtek Wireless LAN".  Why bother to put the icons there if the drivers aren't there???  Got me fooled.  Anyway, I'm leaning towards one of your previous theories about power not being sufficient to run WiFi, Windows turns if off to protect itself.  At the moment, I'm using my phone tethered to the laptop and all is ok.  I also have 100% battery.  I'll remove the power and run the battery down and see what happens.  I'll d/l the driver anyway - Realtek aren't my favourite company - I had a Wifi extender some years ago in the Bahamas and I had to email them several times, with nil response, ever.  Thanks for the advice.  Pulling the plug now.  :)

#11 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:28 AM

There are two icons for Realtek Wireless LAN.  When I hover over them, BOTH say "no Realtek Wireless LAN".  Why bother to put the icons there if the drivers aren't there???  Got me fooled.  Anyway, I'm leaning towards one of your previous theories about power not being sufficient to run WiFi, Windows turns if off to protect itself.  At the moment, I'm using my phone tethered to the laptop and all is ok.  I also have 100% battery.  I'll remove the power and run the battery down and see what happens.  I'll d/l the driver anyway - Realtek aren't my favourite company - I had a Wifi extender some years ago in the Bahamas and I had to email them several times, with nil response, ever.  Thanks for the advice.  Pulling the plug now.   :)

DUH.  Helps if I type in PSPKFA -(Zero) E9001 instead of OE.  However, Toshiba's downloads only go to Windows 8 64Bit for the P850, and it's the Realtek one anyway.  Your link, because of the incorrect info I gave you, doesn't find anything.  Hoges

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/computers/satellite/p850/pspkfa-0e9001/download

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:33 AM

Is your Wifi set to maximum power?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/613939/wifi-randomly-dissconects-on-pc/?p=3999564

Right click your Realtek Wireless in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post. Realtek keeps there wifi drivers up to date while the OEMs may not.

Edit: If you do a google search of Wifi disconnects on Windows 10 you will see it's a common issue with the OS.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 July 2016 - 10:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users