Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot load user profile in vista

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 JoshuaM

JoshuaM

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:46 PM

Microsoft community forums recommend creating a new profile and transferring data. How do I do that? 

First, i could not download windows updates, so I followed instructions to manually install much needed updates.

Following that, I had so little space on my hard drive (may have went from 8 gb to 4-5. System became sluggish, and had some explorer errors.

Then I tried to free of space. But my system then upon restart, went into a temporary user profile, and said it could not load the user profile. So i edited the registry as in step 1 of here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947215

But when I did that, it won't let me login, except within safe mode, and says the service failed to load. I tried running memory diagnostics, as it noted that there were bad sectors, and it said it was fine. I also tried to run defrag in the temp profile, but it only runs for about 1 second (i am not sure that defrag is the right choice). I am also noticing that avast will not run in the temp profile, but maybe it is because it is connected to the main profile.

i noticed these instructions: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/user-login-failed-cannot-load-profile/c917a568-ea48-47a9-8317-9e3dad451a10, but i only have one profile, and it is administrator. i created these posts from the temporary profile. i would like to at least fix this until i can get a new system and transfer data..

I think that maybe that the hard drive is too full and it cannot handle everything but i am not sure. can i get any help please?

I cannot even run system restore. When i try to run it, it says that it failed to do so, and advises that I  try to restore to an earlier point. i did that twice with the same result. As I had noted in a thread on microsoft community forums.. They had replied that my choice is to create a new user profile and transfer the data. Will you be able to provide any information about that? Also the article that they provided only seems to suggest to delete the old profile..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:52 PM

You can enable build in administrator account of Windows and try to restore computer to a working date. Follow the instructions at below to transfer corrupt user profile to new user account.

Enable administrator account by opening Command Prompt as administrator and type net user administrator  /active:yes press Enter key. To disable the Administrator user account when you finnish with it type net user administrator  /active:no press Enter key.

Transfer corrupt user profile to new user profile

Edited by FreeBooter, 11 July 2016 - 10:54 PM.

Posted Image

#3 JoshuaM

JoshuaM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:27 PM

will this work for vista? what if i only have two accounts at that point? i only have one account right now, and that is the corrupt administrator account. the temp account is only a temp account, then i create the new account, i can create two,.. can i delete the extra one once i copy the files?

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:48 PM

The instructions at Microsoft website will work for Windows Vista.  Boot your computer into Windows Vista build in Administrator user account and create new user account and copy your old user account profile to new user account profile.

Posted Image

#5 JoshuaM

JoshuaM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:09 AM

I tried to do this, created two profiles. Forgot to logout of admin from command prompt. One user had error when creating and so it would say password wrong though it not and also admin password wrong suddenly.

#6 JoshuaM

JoshuaM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:49 AM

my current issue is that when i  try, it says i don't have current permission to access those folders, i have to click continue to gain permission. when i click continue, it just waits for a long time, and nothing seems to happen.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:52 AM

Access your old user account  profile from Build in Administrator account.

Posted Image

#8 JoshuaM

JoshuaM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:27 AM

what do you mean built in administrator account? my system had shown another administrator account, but i haven't been able to access that for years, which is why i had created the account that i am trying to transfer data from now. all three accounts that i have now are supposed to be administrator accounts. overnight, it made the user profile folder appear, but my documents did not inherit the permissions...

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:34 AM

Enable Windows build in Administrator user account by opening Command Prompt as administrator and type net user administrator  /active:yes press Enter key. To disable the Administrator user account when you finnish with it type net user administrator  /active:no press Enter key.

Taking Ownership Of System Files Or Folders
Taking ownership of system files or folders in Windows is not a simple task. This method works in Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10, and it maybe works in XP, though you wont need it there.
In a text editor such as Notepad, copy/paste the following exactly:

Registry File
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]

@="Take Ownership"

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]

@="Take Ownership"

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

Save the file with any name you want, with a .reg extension. Then double-click the saved file and choose Yes to merge the registry file information into the Registry. You will see context menu option named Take Ownership when you right-click file or a folder.

Posted Image

#10 JoshuaM

JoshuaM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:05 AM

i am curious, i am supposed to transfer from "my documents," not "documents" or "app data" or another folder? i don't see nt user data which i am not supposed to copy. this is the user profile folder?

Edited by JoshuaM, 14 July 2016 - 02:06 AM.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:11 AM

Okay give me second to create a batch script for you to execute.

Posted Image

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:17 AM

You know what open the Command Prompt as a administrator and type below command this command will find all NtUser.dat hive file and copy the output to Windows Clipboard right click empty space at your next post and select Paste from the context menu.

dir C:\Users\Ntuser.dat  /b /s /a | Clip

Edited by FreeBooter, 14 July 2016 - 02:18 AM.

Posted Image

#13 JoshuaM

JoshuaM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:23 AM

okay, but those files are not supposed to be copied according to the guide i think.  but i noticed the my documents folder shows a lot of stuff, but the nt files that i shouldn't copy seem to be in the main folder of the user that i am trying to copy from.. so can you explain why it is from "my documents" specifically and not from another folder within the directory of that user? do i need to copy other directories from that user profile to the new user? how much do i need to copy? the directions just say from my documents..i thought that for some reason, some programs access "appdata" or another folder.

i also think that i don't want to lose a lot of stuff that is in the directory of that user.

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:28 AM

Yes they are not but i forget what happens if you just select all folders within your damage user profile and copy them i can't remember if hidden files will be copied as well which includes NtUser.dat but thinking about it you will be prompted to replace NtUser.dat that is in new user account so all you need to do is click NO button.

Posted Image

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:32 AM

How to show hidden files in Windows

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users