Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer died, have a theory, wondering if my approach makes sense

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 cherold

cherold

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:07 PM

My PC died. Turned itself off, and when I turned it back on it died in about 30 seconds then wouldn't go on again. The power works (the only testing hardware I have is a power supply tester), but the motherboard doesn't even give an error beep.

When I've had PCs died before and I've taken it in for repair, the problem has inevitably been something overheated and was destroyed and something had to be replaced. I was regularly using compressed air to clean this one out, but I got lazy and forget about it and sure enough, the fan over my CPU was full of dust.

So my guess is something burned out; based on past experience, MB, CPU, or video card.

After sinking too much money into repairs on my old PC I found it was cheaper to just buy a replacement on Craigslist, so at first I thought I'd just skip repairs and buy another Craigslist PC.

But then I wondered, should I just replace the most likely hardware, which would be cheaper, and I'm wondering if that makes sense?

If I'm right that it's MB, CPU or video card, well, someone's selling mine (nvidia 650i) on eBay  for $50. I can get a intel core 2 quad 2.4ghz CPU for $20. A geforce gts250 video card for $30 to $40. (I'm not married to these in particular, but I have limited knowledge in terms of building computers it seems easier to just get the same stuff.)

Replacing all of these is cheaper than going to someplace for a repair (at least with New York City prices), but does this make sense? After all, there's no absolute guarantee that it's one of these three things.

I figured I could replace things one at a time. Since it doesn't beep, I'm guessing the MB is likely shot (although perhaps the same thing could happen if it's a dead CPU?) So I was thinking, just replace the MB. If it still doesn't work, get a new CPU. If still dead, get the video card.

Is that nuts? And is it possible that if it's the CPU or videocard that they could immediately fry a new MB, or that if I replaced the CPU first it could get fried if it's an issue with the MB? Is it best to replace both CPU and MB at once?

Am I better off just getting something on Craigslist? Or does this this plan seem reasonable?

(BTW, while its clear from my post my hardward expertise is weak, I did once install an MB and CPU so I do have the necessary skills, more or less.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:56 PM

Specs or computer model number please

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:03 PM

It could be something as simple as the Thermal paste on the Processor is dried up.

Same with the video card, the thermal pads could be dried up.

Computers don't just turn themselves off for no reason, if it shut off WITHOUT any warning im guessing the CPU got too hot.

They turn themselves off to prevent any further damage to the machine.

if you can, carefully twist the heat sink left to right till it comes loose, (i recommend to have some kind of thermal paste near by so if it is bad you can replace it) if it does it effortlessly then the thermal paste is bad, if it takes quite a bit of elbow grease then the thermal paste is fine.

Check for Blown Capacitors, on your mobo and your vc.

Edited by Viper_Security, 09 July 2016 - 02:04 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#4 cherold

cherold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:05 PM

Specs or computer model number please

This was built by the guy I bought it from, so it doesn't have a model. As I say, motherboard is nvidia 650i ultra, the cpu says "intel core 2 quad 2.4ghz/8m/1066/05a", it has a GeForce GTS250 video card. I have 6 gb of memory. It's in a full-sized tower. It's got a couple of hard drives and a DVD drive.

What else would you like to know?

#5 cherold

cherold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:23 PM

The heatsink is that big think with the fan that's set over the processor? To see what kind of CPU it was I had to take that off. I don't think that took a lot of elbow grease, but I was having trouble figuring out how to loosen the four connectors that held it in place so I was fiddling with it, so I can't be positive. At any rate, I take it that what I should do first is get some thermal paste (which I assume is what that dried white stuff on the heatsink and processor is), find a set of instructions on how to attach a heatsink, and see if that fixes the problem? Do I need to scrape off the dried paste that's on things now?

It would be exciting if something that simple was all I needed.

It could be something as simple as the Thermal paste on the Processor is dried up.

Computers don't just turn themselves off for no reason, if it shut off WITHOUT any warning im guessing the CPU got too hot.

if you can, carefully twist the heat sink left to right till it comes loose, (i recommend to have some kind of thermal paste near by so if it is bad you can replace it) if it does it effortlessly then the thermal paste is bad, if it takes quite a bit of elbow grease then the thermal paste is fine.

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:39 PM

The heatsink is that big think with the fan that's set over the processor? To see what kind of CPU it was I had to take that off. I don't think that took a lot of elbow grease, but I was having trouble figuring out how to loosen the four connectors that held it in place so I was fiddling with it, so I can't be positive. At any rate, I take it that what I should do first is get some thermal paste (which I assume is what that dried white stuff on the heatsink and processor is), find a set of instructions on how to attach a heatsink, and see if that fixes the problem? Do I need to scrape off the dried paste that's on things now?

It would be exciting if something that simple was all I needed.

Yeah, most heat sinks are silver colored (Aluminum) and yeah your thermal paste should not be dry, and i recommend getting ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal paste, i put some on my processor a year ago, and it's still good.

and yes clean both the top of the processor and the bottom of the heat sink  with a coffee filter (non static) wear rubbed soled shoes just in case and make sure the power is unplugged from the back of the machine.

as for attaching the heat sink, some of them have 2 long bars on the side, some have 4 rods/pins on each "corner" if it's the latter and if it's Intel, you'd have to twist and pull to get it off, and twist and push to get it on.(should only turn 1/4 - 1/2 inch) but attaching heat sinks isn't very hard and if you find a better way go for it!

hQBT2G3.png

#7 cherold

cherold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:35 PM

I redid the thermal paste and that had no effect; motherboard still not doing anything when powered up. How do I check for a blown capacitor?

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:40 PM

How do I check for a blown capacitor?

Looking for it. Google blown capacitor

#9 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

How do I check for a blown capacitor?

Looking for it. Google blown capacitor

You'd have to take the side off your machine case and inspect each cap one by one to be sure you didn't over look one by chance.

A Capacitor has lines engraved into the top (some with 3 lines some with 4 or even 2) if it looks like it's bulging out , it's blown,

Flat = Good.

Bulging = Bad.

Edited by Viper_Security, 18 July 2016 - 01:48 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#10 cherold

cherold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

Okay, the capacators all look good.

One thing I've noticed is my square heat sink, the thing that looks like an office file holder for very tiny folder, is loose; it's held on by two pegs and one isn't clamped in. It doesn't look to me like that should effect whether the MB works, but I don't know much so I wanted to ask.

If that wouldn't be the problem, is there something else I need to check before I start considering replacing parts?

#11 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:34 PM

When you say the power works but it doesn't even turn on again, explain exactly what happens when you hit the power button.

Edited by chalup, 18 July 2016 - 03:34 PM.

#12 cherold

cherold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:10 PM

When you say the power works but it doesn't even turn on again, explain exactly what happens when you hit the power button.

The fans go on and an orange light appears on the MB, but the usual sounds of my PC starting up don't happen and there are no error beeps or anything else that would indicate anything is actually happening. As I mentioned originally, this began when the computer turned itself off. The next time I powered on it began to boot up and died within 10 seconds. After that it would not come on at all, except, as I say, for the fans.

#13 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:42 PM

The fans go on and an orange light appears on the MB, but the usual sounds of my PC starting up don't happen and there are no error beeps or anything else that would indicate anything is actually happening. As I mentioned originally, this began when the computer turned itself off. The next time I powered on it began to boot up and died within 10 seconds. After that it would not come on at all, except, as I say, for the fans.

did you get a POST within that initial 10 seconds? (Power On Self Test) usually a beep.

Also is the light Solid or flashing on or around the power button NOT on the Mobo?

A solid orange power light is a motherboard issue. And flashing orange light is a Power Supply issue.

Try unplugging the power from the PC. Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds. Then open it up and unplug the BIG 24 pin power connector for the motherboard and let it sit like like 15 minutes. Plug it back in, plug back into power, and try turning it back on again.

a Wire in the PSU could be shorting out, which is why it turns on for a second then nothing.

i'd also take out all your RAM and test it one by one in each slot. may have killed a stick of ram.

hQBT2G3.png

#14 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:45 PM

Okay, the capacators all look good.

One thing I've noticed is my square heat sink, the thing that looks like an office file holder for very tiny folder, is loose; it's held on by two pegs and one isn't clamped in. It doesn't look to me like that should effect whether the MB works, but I don't know much so I wanted to ask.

If that wouldn't be the problem, is there something else I need to check before I start considering replacing parts?

I'm assuming you mean the South Bridge? (best description ever btw.)

and if one of those connectors is not connected the heat can't spread evenly on the heat sink  and may cause heat to stay on one side of the chip under it which could ruin your machine as well, make sure everything is nice and tight.

Edited by Viper_Security, 18 July 2016 - 04:46 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#15 cherold

cherold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:24 PM

did you get a POST within that initial 10 seconds? (Power On Self Test) usually a beep.

Also is the light Solid or flashing on or around the power button NOT on the Mobo?

A solid orange power light is a motherboard issue. And flashing orange light is a Power Supply issue.

Try unplugging the power from the PC. Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds. Then open it up and unplug the BIG 24 pin power connector for the motherboard and let it sit like like 15 minutes. Plug it back in, plug back into power, and try turning it back on again.

a Wire in the PSU could be shorting out, which is why it turns on for a second then nothing.

i'd also take out all your RAM and test it one by one in each slot. may have killed a stick of ram.

I don't get any beeps of any sort. I don't get any indicator lights near the power button. I've unplugged and plugged the power connector, didn't change anything.

It doesn't turn on for a second anymore, it just did that once. Now the fans go on but there's no other indication that anything is working (except the little light on the MB) but also, the fans don't turn off.

I have a gizmo to test the power supply and it works fine.

If it were the memory, wouldn't I still get a beep or something indicating something was happening?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users