Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing/re-appearing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:03 PM

Whenever I boot my system up after some down-time my primary slave HD disappears on the initial cold-boot. Then when I restart everything comes up fine. This has happened 3 cold-boots in a row and now I'm sure its not just some co-incidenceThese are my HDs:
Drive #1 - ST380021A (74 GB) - has OS(winxp SP2) and programs in 1 partition, came w/ system in 01/03
Drive #2 - WDC WD3200JB-00KFA0 (298 GB) - contains mostly media files (music, video) in 3 equal partitions, added 03/06

The only system change I have made recently was trading up from an ATI Radeon 9000 AGP to an ATI Radeon x800 XL. This card requires a 4 pin molex for add'l power, could this be the reason my drive disappears? Other than this problem, which has only happened three times because my computer is always on, my system seems to be stable and not in power deficit although I'm probably pretty close. my PSU is rated at 300W and is 3 years old so I'm guessing that is a possibility

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:27 PM

Possibly the CMOS battery.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:22 PM

at first I thought it was a BIOS problem, but when I checked everything was fine. I didn't think it would be related to that b/c all the settings were right. That was on a restart though, so maybe the battery was recharged or somethin. I'll try and pick one up.

#4 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:43 PM

one question... how do you tell whther or not your HD is set to slave?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:16 PM

300 watts isn't very much for a system today. Although it may not be the power supply, I'd still suggest that you get one with at least 450 watts (more if you've got a whole pile of stuff plugged into it).

The system won't pull full power at all times - but at times it will demand a lot. If the power supply can't meet the demand - then you'll get errors.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:57 PM

one question... how do you tell whther or not your HD is set to slave?

On the back of the drive you will have 4 clusters of 2 pins. I you look at the sticker on the side of the drive it will indicate which 2 need to be jumpered to set the drive slave. Also if your dive shows as C: in My Computer it is set as Master.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users