Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with a birthday tablet decision.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mechanoid2k

Mechanoid2k

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:02 AM

Hi all. I've returned to my favorite computer help site to see if you can help me make a decision on a tablet for my birthday.

The issue is that my family doesn't have very much money so we're going to be ordering through airmiles Canada which we have plenty of. Because of this I'm limited in what I can get so I only ask if you can keep your recommendation only between the tablets that I list here as those are the only ones I can get.

So with that out of the way, I like to jailbreak my devices. I like to be able to read all my comics in Comical or other similar programs. I like to create and edit music on programs like steinburg cubasic and use programs like the Kaossolator pad emulator thing. I like drawing so I'll use one of the artist programs that are availible.

But mostly I like to game, watch movies and read comic books on tablets, listen to music and tinker around.

So now I'm gonna list off the tablets, give a couple thoughts and then hopefully someone can help me make a decision (I'm a piss poor decision maker)

The first is the Asus Predator 8

This is the one I'm looking at the heaviest. It seems to have the speed and power to do everything I want. Since I want it for games and tinkering, and if it has the performance for games it should be able to do everything else, and look sexy in the process. Now I'd like to say that I'm not computer illiterate so I completely recognize that many people get bamboozled by lights and whistles and buy a terrible product that looks pretty. I generally stick to functionality over form but it pains me to say that coolness is a factor and the asus predator has a lot of it. Low battery life though

The second is the  HP Pavilion 10-n130ca x2 Detachable Notebook - 64GB - 10''

This looks really nice. It has windows 10 so the possibilities are there. The issue is that it's kinda slow. Has B&O sound which is awesome because I'm a big music guy. Bigger screen for videos and comics which is a big seller on me. With the slower processor though I wonder if it will be able to do lots of tasks at once. Especially considering it's windows 10 I can run more hardware intensive programs. Has the keyboard thing which is very cool. Looks pretty cool too so it's got some style points. However HP has kinda crappy customer support and they're never known for having the greatest of hardware.

The last of my options is the Lenovo Ideapad Miix 300 64GB Windows Tablet - 10.1''

Say's it's good for both work and play. Again, kinda slow ram and processor but has the big 10" screen. Not sure how it stacks up against the HP pavillion one though.

So as you can see I'm really really eyeing the predator because of it's ability to play games and run more taxing programs. But I'm sure I'll get more going with windows 10, but it might run a lot slower. On the other hand the predator has kinda crappy battery life, but it looks so fast and cool.

I need help guys. I'm in existential crisis mode. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:58 PM

I am not a tablet expert but for sheer pizzazz I don't think the ASUS can be beaten - you are certainly not likely to pick someone else's up by mistake !  One really major difference between this one and the other two you list are that this runs on Android, the others on Win 10. How much this matters to you is up to you but yes you are more likely to do work style stuff on the Win 10 devices.

Between the HP and the Lenovo the HP appears the better choice. I don't know how much portability mattters to you but to get the best out of the Win 10 tabs you would need to consider humping the keyboard around with you.

However a tablet that you don't list, it may not be available to you, is the Nokia Shield K1. This is rated even better for gaming than the ASUS, and again runs Android.

So, for gaming over work, the ASUS (or the Nokia if available); for work over gaming, the HP. That's my tuppence worth.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:33 AM

I won't offer a recommendation as I don't tend to recommend something unless I have used it and I have not used any of these devices.

Plus, my preferences for things are likely different than your, if not vastly different.

But, I will note that Chris Cosgrove raise a good point. The ASUS run Android while the HP and Lenovo run Windows 10.

My first thought is which OS has the programs/apps that you want use. Is there a specific game or other type of app that you want to use? Is it available on Android and/or Windows 10? For example, you mention Comical, which I do not believe offers an Android version. If you really want or need Comical, then that kind of rules out the ASUS by default...although I am sure there are other options for reading comics on Android.

If both OSs offer the apps/programs that you want/need, then my next thought is whether or not you have another device already that does some of what you need. For example, if you already have a more "traditional" Windows computer, then one could argue that strengths of the Windows 10 tablets compared to Android are lessened as you can do those types of things on the Windows computer...unless you really want Windows in a very portable device.

Then there are the more "intangible" preferences that you might have. Do you want/need a physical keyboard? Which is more important...gaming or watching movies/reading comics? I ask because the 10" screen is likely a better choice for the latter, but those two will likely not be nearly as good for gaming as the ASUS.

All of the above is some of the things that would happen in my thought process if I were in your shoes. Since I am not in your shoes, I cannot answer many of those questions...which is one of the reason that I generally don't like to recommend specific products.

Don't know if that helps at all or not.

:bounce:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users