Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

~~Trying to format laptop for Windows 7~~problems.....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:55 PM

Working on a laptop. I set the BIOS to boot from the cd drive. When I put my windows 7 DVD in, it starts to load up the Windows install program then I get this error:

SETUP WAS UNABLE TO CREATE A NEW SYSTEM PARTITION OR LOCATE AN EXISTING ..SEE SETUP LOG FILES.

THE HARD DRIVE IS SHOWN AS

DISK0, PARTITION 1 298.1 GB, 298 GB FREE.

I FORMATED THE HARD DRIVE THROUGH A C: PROMPT WHEN I STARTED THE COMPUTER.

Why can't I install windows?

Edited by jake21, 08 July 2016 - 05:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:01 PM

If you are starting clean then have you tried deleting all partitions so it shows "Drive blah, 289.1GB/289.1GB) available.

. also did you format it as NTFS? then mark it active?

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:36 AM

I only went to a dos prompt and formatted.

c: format.

How do I delete all partitions, etc as you mentioned. Thanks...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:11 AM

See this guide on a step by step clean install. Just delete all partitions and then press next. Windows 7 will automatically partition and format the drive.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

If this is an upgrade disk and not a full install disk you can see this guide on doing a clean install using an upgrade disk.

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512

Edit: If you cannot get to the Window that allows you to delete the partitions then at this Window press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt window. Type the following

diskpart    Will open the diskpart command window

list disk

select disk X    Where X is the number associated with the hard drive you will be installing Windows to. If you only have one hard disk it will be disk 0. 

clean                 This will delete all partitions

exit                    Exits out of diskpart

exit                    Exits out of command prompt

Press Next to continue the install.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 July 2016 - 08:17 AM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:52 AM

JohnC's post is very much spot-on!  I just recently had to do what the thread-starter is wanting to do; and sure enough, if the hard-drive is not properly prepped, Windows 7 will not install.  +1 for JohnC.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:56 PM

JohnC's post is very much spot-on!  I just recently had to do what the thread-starter is wanting to do; and sure enough, if the hard-drive is not properly prepped, Windows 7 will not install.  +1 for JohnC.

Awesome, so my input was useless. got it. starting to dislike these forums. unfollowing the thread.. gl hf.

I only went to a dos prompt and formatted.

c: format.

How do I delete all partitions, etc as you mentioned. Thanks...

From inside the windows installation, when it asks you where to install, hit delete on all partitions until is says 200GB / 200GB free (with your HDD size Obviously) then you should be good to go,

In my 18 years+ experience  I've NEVER had to use diskpart to format a main hdd. ever. only flashdrives when installing linux.

gl hf, hope it get's resolved.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#7 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:12 PM

Tip of the hat to ya JOHN...worked to perfection...followed the step by step....went right in. Thank you for taking the time to help me out on this one.......All Smiles here!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users