Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to go back to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JustinHit

JustinHit

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

Hi, I just installed windows 10 today and I'm trying to Go back to windows 7 by going to Settings ->  Recovery -> Go back to Windows 7 Get started button.
However nothing happens when I select this button. I tried restarting the computer and updating windows 10, yet nothing occurs after clicking Get Started. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:17 PM

See if you can revert using option one.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4097-windows-10-go-back-previous-windows.html

If you do not have a Windows.old folder on the computer you will not be able to revert.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 July 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#3 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

Hi, I just installed windows 10 today and I'm trying to Go back to windows 7 by going to Settings ->  Recovery -> Go back to Windows 7 Get started button.
However nothing happens when I select this button. I tried restarting the computer and updating windows 10, yet nothing occurs after clicking Get Started. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thank you

I have not used Windows 7 in years.  It is a dead OS, and will not be supported soon.  My advice is to stay with Windows 10.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

Windows 7 is not a dead OS. It is still on close to 50% of all computers according to NetMarketShare and will be supported with Security Updates until Jan 2020 which is not soon. Most Enterprises are still using Windows 7.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-usage-share-continues-to-grow-but-enterprise-stays-on-sidelines/

#5 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

Windows 7 is not a dead OS. It is still on close to 50% of all computers according to NetMarketShare and will be supported with Security Updates until Jan 2020 which is not soon. Most Enterprises are still using Windows 7.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-usage-share-continues-to-grow-but-enterprise-stays-on-sidelines/

Just because a lot of companies are still using it does not mean it is not dead.  It is dead.  It is slow, and antiquated.  MS does not update it, it just provides security updates like you said, but that time is running out fast.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:58 AM

So, my Windows 7 computer boots to the login screen in 20 seconds and runs all programs with no problems I am supposed to dump it for Windows 10? I have a printer that works fine in 7 but does not have drivers for 10. I am not going to dump my Windows 7 computers for 10 and purchase a new printer. Not until at least 2020 and by then they will be going to linux. Windows 10 has about 20% market share after close to one year and that is offering if for free. After July I doubt the upgrade rate will improve once you need to pay for the OS.

Using your logic XP was dead when Vista was released and XP still has more market share than 8.1.

But, we have yet to hear from the OP so I am no longer going to respond until the OP returns.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 July 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#7 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:04 AM

So, my Windows 7 computer boots to the login screen in 20 seconds and runs all programs with no problems I am supposed to dump it for Windows 10?

Yes.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:43 AM

I agree with JohnC_21: Windows 7 is not dead

On the Windows.old folder, if you want to know where it is, if I remember correctly from when I did my Win10 upgrade: click on File Explorer, click on Local Disk C: the Windows.old folder will be in the list of folders. Let us know either way whether or not it’s there.

#9 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:57 PM

I'm on Win 7x64 Home Premium OEM.  Running fine; no issues.  I'm not in the "anti-10" camp either, just not needing to upgrade yet.  The free deadline isn't factoring into my decision and as others have stated, W7 is in extended support mode until 2020.

I read the W10 threads daily here to learn and get the latest info so when I decide to upgrade, I'll have some info to make the transition easier.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:01 AM

An OS is not dead ... ever.

It depends on what you use it for, and how well you've analyzed your requirements and the risks associated with it.

Some US government agencies still use XP.  And, they pay Microsoft for continued support - simply because it's too expensive for them to switch from those old XP systems.

Large companies are similar, staying with W7 because of the upgrade cost.

Just because an OS is free, doesn't mean that the upgrade is free to the owner.

What about hardware that won't work with the newer OS?  What about compatibility of proprietary software that they may use?
Again, they've done a cost/risk analysis and have decided to stay with the older technology.

My wife's company still uses W8 (updated to 8.1).  She used W95 and XP for many years until the proprietary software that she uses was updated - then we seized the opportunity to update the OS's.

We don't wish to pay the owners of the proprietary software that she uses to ensure that an update to W10 goes without problems.

So we stick with W8 even though it would be free to update to W10.

She also has some other proprietary equipment and some older equipment that may not be compatible.  But since we've decided not to upgrade, the decision on those devices/programs can wait.

I had an older friend who used W98 years ago (around 2005/6).

He visited 3 websites a day and checked his email on the web. 

He put no personal info into the computer and only corresponded with his grandchildren.

His daughter insisted that he update to Windows XP because it was "better".

I updated him to W98SE and tweaked some settings so that it would work better for him.

He used that system happily until he passed away a couple of years later.

Edited by usasma, 10 July 2016 - 06:02 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:54 AM

I updated him to W98SE and tweaked some settings so that it would work better for him.

Oh my!  Would he still be alive if you had updated him?

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:51 PM

JustinHit have you been able to try the recommendation in post 2?

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:12 PM

Oh my!  Would he still be alive if you had updated him?

LOL!  :0)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users