Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop Windows 10 is Trash

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MamaJuJu

MamaJuJu

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:50 PM

Can anyone help me? I bought a brand new Dell Inspiron 15 on March 18,2016 and it is a disaster.

When I got it home and unboxed it and turned it on, it went wild. It quivers and shakes and flashes off and on

so fast you can't even read the screen. Trusting the name Dell I didn't get the extended warranty, so I have the

limited warranty until Mar. 2017. I got in touch with Dell Tech support, gave them permission to go in and probe

it. They told me it had what they called a"ghost touch", I sent it back to the depot for repair. Two weeks later I

got it back with a note saying "no issues found". Since then more Dell techs have probed inside and found nothing.

Now they want me to send it to the depot again. I have burned a couple of small spots on the palm rest, I told them

that I was totally to blame for that, they wanted to blame that. I explained again that my Dell was no good when I took

it out of the box. There is a lemon law isn't there?? I am at my wits end.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:39 AM

I would talk to the place that you bought it from.
Some places have lemon policies and will provide a new system after a certain number of qualifying repairs.

Lemon laws very from state to state, so I'd suggest contacting your state's Consumer Protection department

Here's the one for South Carolina:  http://www.consumer.sc.gov/Pages/default.aspx

Edited by usasma, 10 July 2016 - 05:40 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 MamaJuJu

MamaJuJu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:46 PM

usasma, thank you very much for your reply. I bought my laptop at Walmart, and tried to take it back there. I was told that I had it over

13 days so I would have to take it up with Dell. I could do as you suggested and go to Walmart about the Lemon Law. Thank you again,

I had no clue where to start.   MamaJuJu

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

"Ghost Touch" happens when a part of the digitizer (if touchscreen) is not isolated from the outside chasis properly. and is "Ghost touching" the screen. (or is not properly grounded)

By ghost touch im assuming you mean the touch screen (if it is) does things on it's own without you touching it?

if so call dell support, hit "0" (zero) and wait to talk to a human and tell em your laptop is faulty,(they replaced mine within a week with option of Brand New or Refurbished.)

the manufacturer works much better with consumers than wal-mart does,

the people at wal-mart are only qualified to sell the items not repair them (unless applicable) let alone know what "ghost touching" is (the people at my BEST BUY don't even know what RAM is.

Ghost touching is a HARDWARE issue (mainly) that probes would not find at all because well, it's hardware. (eg, a ribbon cable touching metal inside your screen)

I think if people understood the technology they were selling there would be much less issues.

EDIT: Regardless if you got the store warranty or not, the manufacturers have a one year warranty on ALMOST ALL electronics.

Edited by Viper_Security, 10 July 2016 - 03:15 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#5 MamaJuJu

MamaJuJu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:25 PM

Thank You for your time, Dell wants me to send my laptop back to the repair depot (again). After all that has been done to it (without any success) I see no need.

My laptop does not have a touch screen, I specified a pc   without one but I do have the finger pad. I much prefer using a mouse.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:21 PM

13 days on a brand new computer? Wow.

I'm not sure an extended warranty would have helped you unless home repairs are included in which case it would have been possible to personally show the issues at hand to a qualified technician with a name and first hand contact etc.

Anyway I would send it back to Dell one more time.

Get a name of a supervisor or someone who can get you through this situation.

In my mind the original condition was terrible and even it can't be proven it's hardware related it's still a brand new unit with terrible performance right out of the box. 

I don't recall the exact description, but when it was sent in for repairs, did you get a number assigned to the service?

If not find out what it is.

If you did get one, use it. It might have been closed out but complain about it as it shouldn't have been closed out until after you agreed to close it out.

I believe It should be replaced

#7 MamaJuJu

MamaJuJu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:51 PM

Yes you are totally right, I will take your advise and try it. Yes I got a number assigned to the service and I still have it.

Also every conservation I had with Dell, I have with dates put in a folder in my email. If this does not work out to my satisfaction I

am ready to report them to the Consumer Dept. of my state.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me. 

#8 greywarrior

greywarrior

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:53 PM

Well here goes something. I worked at Dell Pro Support for a while. Typing is my issue. Do try to get it replaced. I would let it go back to Depot. After so many attempts to fix the Ghost Issue they will probably replace it. Here is what I would suggest in the meantime and I am going to quickly hit the points. Normally the policy is to check the video drivers. If you have an external monitor to use as a test, I would start there. The reason is that you are bypassing the LCD panel and configuration. If the Ghost touch goes away then it is in the laptop. I am assuming that the techs you spoke with over the phone uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. You can do a driver check yourself.

Go to this link  http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/dhs?ST=+dell%20+support&dgc=ST&cid=297765&lid=5693618&acd=123098073120600&ven1=PV7LXyOZ&ven2=p&ven3=260703443993874819

Enter the Service Tag number and you will see what drivers are for your computer. You will see a lot for your computer. If the problem of ghost touch is still on the test monitor it is inside the laptop. Does it happen all the time or just when it starts up? Does it disappear and come back? Intermittent issues can be tough. I checked and this ghost touch goes back a few years in other models and vendors. Keep good notes on what you found. Hope this gives you some place to start.

#9 MamaJuJu

MamaJuJu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:04 PM

greywarrior, you sound very knowledgeable and I will give it a try also. But you know, the longer I try to get it going the more damage

is being sustained. I already had a small burn on the palm rest which Dell tried to tell me was the problem. As I said my laptop was bad

straight out of the box. Now I have dropped a small glass coke bottle on the keys and messed the D up, making it hard to use. Dell will

through it all back on me. My Dell being brand new, they should have given me another one when I first contacted them. One of the techs told me that if I still had problems to email him. I did two days ago and no reply yet.

#10 greywarrior

greywarrior

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:42 PM

If you can get them to send it to Depot. I do not know how standard service worked, but after two times and the problem is still there, you should be able to get it exchanged. I don't work for them anymore. =Email the tech back. I know how it can get in the phone room. Don't mention me though. Spilling soda on the keys is not good though. Try to clean it off. If you can use a separate monitor try that. It is to isolate the problem. We need to see where the problem is. Also if they cannot duplicate it at Depot, then you have to make your case and push it. Let me know how the test goes.

#11 MamaJuJu

MamaJuJu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:52 PM

I tried twice to email the tech back but no reply. I might have to go through the chat session again. The Tech told me that it operates

like it is supposed to when it was at the depot before. No soda was spilled on it, the bottle was empty and dry. The bottle itself was accidently knocked over onto the keyboard, breaking a chip out of the D. Each time a tech has been into my laptop probing around, it

has went berserk, can they not tell that and them inside of it ? It being a laptop I don't have another monitor. 

#12 greywarrior

greywarrior

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

Does this happen around the palm rest area? I would ask too speak with a supervisor. You need to get someone who has the authority to replace it. When it goes into ghost touch, it happens arbitrarily I assume. You will have to be firm with them. It is not like you waited a year and complained. I was hoping for that external Monitor. If you have to go into chat do so. See if there is a supervisors name attached to the techs email.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users