Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Stops Displaying and Monitor goes to power saver

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dmalonson

Dmalonson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

So for a while now my computer will randomly stop Displaying and my monitor will say "entering power saver mode" this usually only happened when I played games on my computer. I was able to prolong this from happening by dropping the graphics and resolution way down on the games I was playing. However it has begun to be much more prevalent. I assumed this was a graphics card issue because the picture was the only thing affected. The LED lights on my tower would stay on but sound and video would completely disappear. I would love some input from a few other people. I have tried new ram. And the spare graphics cards that I have are either incompatible with Windows 10 or busted. Currently I am using an AMD A6-5400K API with Radeon HD Graphics as my processor/video card since I first got the computer. All drivers are up to date as well. Thanks in advance guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dmalonson

Dmalonson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

I should also state that I am looking for the most cost effective way to fix this. I don't have a ton of money to spend on parts

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:19 PM

When the monitor says its going into power saving mode it mostly does so because it doesn't receive a signal from the video card.

Didn't you get a message "No signal" before it said "Going into power saving mode"?

Check your display resolution is not set too high.
Check the video connection into the monitor.
Try a different video cable.
If all that fails, then try a different monitor.

Connect monitor to motherboard VGA port to see issue resolves.

Go to "Control Panel > Power Options" then change power saving settings.

Posted Image

#4 Dmalonson

Dmalonson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:25 PM

I will definitely be sure to try all of that. However if it were simply a cable or resolution issue I wouldn't expectthe computer to seemingly stop completely. If I'm in a voice call or anything it disconnects me from the call. Almost like my OS crashes but no BSOD or crash log

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:35 PM

You need to use native resolution and refresh rate of the monitor meaning that optimal display quality can be reached only when the signal input matches the native resolution.Does the computer power off or just monitor turn off. Why do you think bad cable or resolution will cause system to power off you computer can work without monitor connected.

Posted Image

#6 Dmalonson

Dmalonson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:37 PM

The computer does not power off. I have blue LED lights on my tower that stay on and fans keep spinning just now output whatsoever it seems until I reboot. Sound stops, picture stops, everything

#7 Dmalonson

Dmalonson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:38 PM

I do see what you are saying about the native resolution of the monitor though. I may have been running some games at a resolution the monitor may not have been able to handle (it's a cheaper flatscreen monitor)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users