Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logon, Logoff and Unlock sounds

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

Apologies if someone already made this topic; I looked but I couldn't find it. For some reason, the logon, logoff, unlock and shutdown sounds don't play. I've enabled them in the CPL via the registry and they play when I test them in the Sounds tab so I know they aren't corrupted, but for some reason they aren't playing when those events play. The startup sound plays though, but none of the other ones do. Do they just not work in Windows 10 period? I suppose it's not that big of an issue, but I grew up with those sounds ever since I had an XP.

Options available in Sounds menu

Attached File  CropperCapture13.png   19.21KB   0 downloads

SystemExit included in CPL

Attached File  CropperCapture14.png   5.1KB   0 downloads

Windows Logoff included in CPL

Attached File  CropperCapture15.png   5.04KB   0 downloads

Windows Logon included in CPL

Attached File  CropperCapture16.png   5.16KB   0 downloads

Windows Unlock included in CPL

Attached File  CropperCapture17.png   5.2KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:11 PM

Hello

I don't see the Windows Logon, Windows LogOff or Windows Unlock on my Sounds

E7d0V3S.png

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:03 PM

Hello

I don't see the Windows Logon, Windows LogOff or Windows Unlock on my Sounds

E7d0V3S.png

-CKing

Go into regedit and search for this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels. Look for these entries: "SystemExit", "WindowsLogon", "WindowsLogoff" and "WindowsUnlock". In those entries you'll find a DWORD registry key. (it'll be the bottom one in the list. Refer to pictures. It'll say "ExcludeFromCPL") you're going to want to change the value from 1 (yes) to 0 (null). You should then get the options in sound. Iiiiii don't know if they actually work though. I've tried Windows Unlock set to another sound besides the default (I put it as Foreground because it's just one tone off of the default) and it doesn't seem to work so there might be more you need to do than just getting the options to appear in Sounds.

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:38 PM

TBH I am fine with the current no sounds for Windows Logon, Logoff and the Unlock. Microsoft most likely removed it in Windows 8 because all of the computers I have used that have Windows 8 and above don't have any sounds for logging in or out. However, those sounds are actually pretty good to listen to.

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#5 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:42 PM

TBH I am fine with the current no sounds for Windows Logon, Logoff and the Unlock. Microsoft most likely removed it in Windows 8 because all of the computers I have used that have Windows 8 and above don't have any sounds for logging in or out. However, those sounds are actually pretty good to listen to.

-CKing

Yeah, I believe that they'd do something like that. Like I said in the OP, it's not a terribly big deal that they aren't there, but it was just nice to hear them, ya know? It gave computing a bit more of a... personal touch, if that makes sense? Like you could set the sounds to fit you personally. I suppose you can still do that with the rest of the sounds though, so it's not too much of a loss.

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:48 PM

Yeah, I believe that they'd do something like that. Like I said in the OP, it's not a terribly big deal that they aren't there, but it was just nice to hear them, ya know? It gave computing a bit more of a... personal touch, if that makes sense? Like you could set the sounds to fit you personally. I suppose you can still do that with the rest of the sounds though, so it's not too much of a loss.

After listening to those sounds, I definitely like them.

After figuring things out, Microsoft did allow you to add those sounds back in Windows 8 and 8.1, but not in 10: 

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/10060-no-startup-shutdown-sound.html

http://lifehacker.com/5959230/customize-the-logon-logoff-and-shutdown-sounds-in-windows-8

Github | Keybase

#7 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

After listening to those sounds, I definitely like them.

After figuring things out, Microsoft did allow you to add those sounds back in Windows 8 and 8.1, but not in 10: 

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/10060-no-startup-shutdown-sound.html

http://lifehacker.com/5959230/customize-the-logon-logoff-and-shutdown-sounds-in-windows-8

Huh. Pretty interesting. I'll check it out, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users