Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not getting a Gigabit connection bw my router and switch!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:29 PM

My current set up includes a Motorola 6183 Modem, Airport Extreme 6th Gen Router, Trendnet TEG-S5G, and an Apple Airport Express 2nd Gen.

My modem and AExtreme are in my office and I am running a 75 foot Ethernet Cable to my Switch and then connecting my Switch. My Switch and A.Express are in my Basement.

I noticed that on my switch it is showing a green and orange connection light, which I believe is half duplex (100 MBPS).  Curious to know why I am not getting two green dots with 1000 mpbs when connecting my Airport extreme to my switch.  I think my Airport express can only give 100 mbps connection. 

Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

Edited by cap2587, 08 July 2016 - 01:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:45 PM

From Quick Installation Guide, page 6 it may be an issue with the cable.

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:23 PM

I have tried many different cables with much shorter length and all are giving me the Orange light. When I put the switch after the airport express, I end up getting two green lights.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

"I think my Airport express can only give 100 mbps connection. "

You are correct. It can only give a 10/100Mbps connection as per it's specs:

• 10/100BASE-T Ethernet WAN port for connecting a DSL modem, cable modem, or Ethernet network
  • 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN port for connecting a computer, Ethernet hub, or networked printer

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:40 AM

I went ahead and bought the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and have hooked it up. I noticed that I am getting an orange light for my connection to the printer and am getting a white light going to my computer and switch.  I am still not getting two green lights on my switch, which is frustrating.  Is it due to incorrect wiring of the RJ45 connector or this switch is not going to give me Gigabit speeds when an Ethernet cable is coming from any router.   Thanks for any additional information.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:28 AM

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM_10Oct13.pdf

Your routers manual.

Page 11 says white is gig and amber is 10/100.  Not surprising the printer is 10/100 so that is normal.

"I am still not getting two green lights on my switch"

Doesn't appear you should ever see two leds on a port lit.  Either off or yellow for 10/100 or green if gig

http://download.trendnet.com/TEG-S5G/manual/EN_Web_TEG-S5g_S8g.pdf

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:55 PM

"I am still not getting two green lights on my switch"

Doesn't appear you should ever see two leds on a port lit.  Either off or yellow for 10/100 or green if gig
http://download.trendnet.com/TEG-S5G/manual/EN_Web_TEG-S5g_S8g.pdf

I interpret the manual to mean that if there is only a 10 Mbps connection, then only the LINK/ACT LED for the port will light up (presumably green, but the manual does not say), but the 100/1000 LED will not light up at all. If it is registering as Fast Ethernet (aka 100 Mbps), then the LINK/ACT LED will be green and the 100/1000 LED will be yellow (what the original poster might be calling orange). If it is registering a Gigabit connection (aka 1000 Mbps), then both the LINK/ACT LED and the 100/1000 LED will light up green.

But, I could be interpreting it incorrectly.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:26 PM

The activity light blinks... only one led lites to indicate connection rate

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:57 AM

The activity light blinks... only one led lites to indicate connection rate

Yes, only one LED technically relates to connection rate, but the LINK/ACT LED will be solid if there is a connection (aka "link" detected) but no activity and then blink when there is activity, right?

My point is that if the LINK/ACT LED lights up green (whether solid for no activity or blinking when active), then there still should be two green lights if there is a 1000 Mbps connection, even though one of them only pertains to connection rate...assuming I am understanding things correctly (the manual does not specifically indicate what color the LINK/ACT LED will be nor what color the 100/1000 LED will be if a Gigabit connection). And this is what the original poster seems to be asking about.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:00 AM

I have tried many different cables with much shorter length and all are giving me the Orange light. When I put the switch after the airport express, I end up getting two green lights.

What kind of ethernet cables? Cat5? Cat5e? Cat6?

Are these patch cables that you bought? Or did you make them (i.e. using a raw length of cable and adding connectors yourself)?

#11 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for the information above. Whenever I connect my router (nighthawk)or any gigabit connection on a computer I am getting a green light and an orange light above on my Switch. If the switch is connected to my printer, Receiver etc I am getting two green lights on my switch. I don't know why my switch can't work at Full Duplex (1000 mbps), when connected to a router or computer directly. Any further ideas would be helpful.

I am using Cat6 Cables.  I don't think it is a wiring issue as I have tried with perfectly working Cables as well as one I have put the RJ45 connector on. 

On the picture on the switch the 1st port has the router connected (orange & Green) and the second has the printer (Green & Green)

Attached Files

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:27 AM

Thanks for the information above. Whenever I connect my router (nighthawk)or any gigabit connection on a computer I am getting a green light and an orange light above on my Switch. If the switch is connected to my printer, Receiver etc I am getting two green lights on my switch. I don't know why my switch can't work at Full Duplex (1000 mbps), when connected to a router or computer directly. Any further ideas would be helpful.

I am using Cat6 Cables.  I don't think it is a wiring issue as I have tried with perfectly working Cables as well as one I have put the RJ45 connector on. 

On the picture on the switch the 1st port has the router connected (orange & Green) and the second has the printer (Green & Green)

It almost sounds like the switch is doing the backward of what is supposedly should do. In other words, it sounds like it is showing a yellow/amber and green for 1000 Mbps and two green for 100 Mbps.

I say this because I SERIOUSLY doubt your printer has a Gigabit port as there would be no point. I cannot really think of a reason why a printer would need a Gigabit port. Printers are generally not dealing with huge chucks of data and should not need the throughput of a Gigabit connection. After all, for a non-network connection, printers typically still use USB 2.0 ports, which have a maximum theoretical throughput of 480 Mbps (in reality, max is closer to 300 to 350 maybe).

Can you try testing for Gigabit transfer speed on the computer? This would basically require transferring a large file between the computer and another Gigabit storage device (either another computer or NAS), unless you have Internet that is faster than 100 Mbps.

And if you don't have another device that can make use of Gigabit speeds ((i.e. the computer is your only Gigabit device) and don't have Internet that is faster than 100 Mbps, then it really does not matter if you are getting Gigabit speeds.   :)

#13 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:36 PM

BC Advisor, thanks for staying with me on this issue and I think you are onto something here. 

Nighthawk Router - All connections going out of that (switch, computers) are showing Gigabit via a white light, and the only amber light is for my printer, which definitely only supports 10/100 mbps.

Trendnet Switch - All routers, computers(which support Gigabit connection, show a green and amber light)  All devices supporting 10/100 coming from the switch (printer, denon receiver etc) are showing two green lights.

The manual seems to suggest that two green lights is 1000 mbps, but green and amber is 10/100. However, from my experience it seems like the opposite is true.  I will test the connection speed like you suggested and get back to you.

Edited by cap2587, 21 July 2016 - 10:36 PM.

#14 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

I connected two different Gigabit capable computers to my switch, which was connected to my router.  I then transferred 2.66GB file from one computer to the next and it took 33 sec.  Does that mean that the file was transferred at 80 mpbs?  If so, would that point to Gigabit speeds for this transfer.  Thanks. 

#15 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

That would be 80 MBps (as in MegaBytes per second). Or about 645 Mbps (MegaBits per second). You need to multiple the 2.66GB or 2660 MB by 8 to convert from bytes to bits. Capital B for bytes and little b for bits. And Gigabit speeds will be in Mbps, with a little b.

But, yes, those are Gigabit speeds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users