Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloud Computing Security

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dawson4013

Dawson4013

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:29 PM

Hello,

I am currently doing a project on cloud computing security. I am trying argue about how secure the cloud is and am doing researcher to that end. I am reaching out to any cloud security professionals or anyone that has any information on cloud security. If you just want to give your opinion on cloud security, that is fine too. I want to know what people think about the security of the cloud. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:44 PM

Are you doing data security in the "cloud"? Or Security as a service (cloud security)?

Edited by DeimosChaos, 08 July 2016 - 01:45 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Dawson4013

Dawson4013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:08 PM

Data security in the cloud

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:26 PM

I figured as much. You picked a rough topic... honestly there isn't much you can do about your data in cloud. Short of just encrypting it all and then uploading it. Essentially seucrity comes down to whoever is hosting your data. I could call myself hostbox.com and could just be a server sitting in my basement, taking whatever data I want whenever. You have absolutely no idea what the host is doing for their security and you kind of leave it in their hands to do it right (which is never a good thing). Sure most data hosting services are probably trust worthy, but with no real way to know what their security looks like... you have to take it on faith and some chance. Even if you are going to be spending tons of money on data hosting, you might get a walkthrough of their data center and see what security they have in place, both phsycially and virtually.... once data is in the cloud, you have zero controll over it. All comes down to trust in the end.

Good luck with your paper!

#5 Dawson4013

Dawson4013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:38 PM

Thank you very much. From what i have been able to dig up so far, that has been the gist of it. Hopefully I'll be able to find more with a bit more digging.

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:43 PM

Yup keep looking! If you find anything good post back here!

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

US-CERT Alert (TA13-309A) advises some crypto malware variants have the ability to target, find and encrypt files located within network drives, shared (mapped network paths), USB drives, external hard drives, and even some cloud storage drives if they have a drive letter. In most cases, if you're using a cloud backup that provides strong encryption, includes versioning and does not utilize a drive letter (cloud backups typically do not use those), then you should be safe from crypto ransomware as you can back up to the date prior to the infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:51 PM

Hey, You, Get Off My Cloud: Exploring Information Leakage in Third-Party Compute Clouds. https://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~hovav/dist/cloudsec.pdf

Edited by Crazy Cat, 08 July 2016 - 07:53 PM.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:22 AM

https://mega.nz/ 50G's Free. Extra storage for cheap. The big plus here is high open source encryption, client side encryption private keys. The CEO said "They cannot see what the data is nor decrypt it". Review and CEO interview http://www.cloudwards.net/review/mega/#mega-overview

#10 YafaAlvi

YafaAlvi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:58 PM

Security in the cloud depends on many factors, whether you choose SaaS, Paas or IaaS, and whether the cloud is private, public, hybrid or "community"-based. For companies without special IT security competencies, e.g. many small or medium sized businesses without a dedicated IT security function, cloud computing could probably provide better security than they would be able to establish, not least maintain by themselves.

Check out the Cloud Security Alliance's guidance doc (https://cloudsecurityalliance.org/csaguide.pdf) covers this topic pretty well.

#11 dougperkins

dougperkins

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:04 PM

Can someone explain the different security issues involved with private cloud/media server apps like younity and tonido vs those of standard cloud storage options like dropbox and google drive? :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users