Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Home - Accessing Websites and FTPs appear blocked.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rigwald

Rigwald

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:23 PM

Hello,

I have an elderly, not very tech savvy friend whose Windows 10 Home laptop's internet access become restricted.  He was having a hard time installing some new software (not sure what it was), so I offered to remote in to help.  Windows assistance wouldn't let me in, so I had him run ipconfig to get his local address and had him change his internet IPv4 preferences to keep that local ip address (predicting that we would have to go into the router and do a port forward).  Since we couldn'g get access to the router (he didn't remember the pw and it wasn't the default), we bypassed the router and went straight to the modem.

Google search works, but links often don't.  I even had him try to access my personal ftp server, but the address doesn't resolve, even after trying to change his DNS servers to both OpenDNS and Google DNS.  He's located in another part of the country from me, so I don't have physical access to the computer, other than telling him what to do. 

Here's what I've done:

1)  I was able to remote in when we plugged the laptop directly into the modem.  (He is normally wireless, but was behind a router's firewall that wouldn't let me through).  When I was there, I couldn't run Malwarebytes or Spybot  (clicking on them saw them pop up in the Task Manager, then nothing), so we rebooted into Safe Mode w/ Networking and I ran them and found nothing.  I also ran SFC, which said it found some items, but didn't fix all of them due to possible conflicts.  I also installed Avast at that time, since he didn't have any virus protection running.  Prior to installing Avast, I could not start Windows Defender.

2)  After Safe Mode, we rebooted and ran reran Malwarebytes, still nothing.  Windows appeared to be working and connecting to the internet (various websites and even my personal ftp server).  I had Avast run a boot scan, as well.   Things appeared good, although I was surprised that none of the scans turned up anything.

3)  After disconnecting from the modem and going back to wireless wi-fi, the problem continued.  I had him boot into safe mode and run Kaspersky scanner.  All it turned up are miscellaneous IE settings.  I had him open the hosts file and there was nothing added.  I had him look at his IPv4 settings and his default gateway was missing.  I had him re-enter that, but no change.

4)  We restored the IPv4 settings to automatically obtain the local IP address. 

So I am at a loss.  Nothing is showing up in any scans, yet he is not able to get beyond Google.  

Thanks for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:10 PM

Hello Rigwald, welcome to Bleeping Computer!

We apologize for the delay in response to this topic!

==========

This doesn't appear to be a case of malware and likely why you're not getting much response in this forum. Many helpers may not be as comfortable helping with networking issues as opposed to malware issues.

To make it even more difficult, you don't have physical access to the machine and that can be especially problematic with some suggestions we may provide. You seem to know what you're doing, but that may not help unless the "other end" can do the same thing(s). :wink: Hopefully this can be enough for you!

Have you ever run tools like MiniToolBox, or FSS? You may find the logs quite useful to you (there are some issues with W10 machines, but they both seem to at least run and provide logs). I would give you instructions, but it's still probably best for you to become familiar with the tools first.

I would test both those tools out on your own machine first (just to get an idea of things), then ask your user to run them and provide the resultant logs to you. You may be surprised by the results you see. :)

==========

I hope that helps, and sorry if this is not enough! :(

Please let us know how things go!!!

bloopie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users