Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Still Won't Turn On!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lcplsexton

lcplsexton

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

I'm making no progress. About a month ago I had a power outage and since then my new computer won't turn on. I built it myself (did everything correctly) and it worked for a good 5 months, until the outage. I had corresponded with the MoBo manufacturer and they said it was likely a problem with the board. So, after getting the replacement board and hooking everything back up it still won't turn on. I know it's not the PSU, I tested it in the machine I am on, and I know it's not the case...I reassembled everything in a different case. So, I'm back to square one.

The LED's on the board light up, so I know the board is getting power, and when I plug the keyboard in, the LED's on it light up, as well as the mouse. I have tried removing everything but the CPU/fan, video card (no onboard), and RAM, but I don't get even as much as a BIOS beep, and the CPU fan won't spin. I'm hoping the outage didn't nuke the CPU.

Can anyone lend a hand? Thanks in advance!

**edit**
I am running Windows XP Home, Asus A8N-SLI Premium board, AMD Athlon X2 4400+ with stock heatsink/fan

Edited by lcplsexton, 12 August 2006 - 12:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:15 PM

From what you are describing I would suspect the processor. You have tested everything else. Did you inspect the underside of the chip for scorch marks? Not that, that is definitive, but it can be a physical indicator.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 lcplsexton

lcplsexton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for your response. I have inspected the CPU, and it shows no physical signs of damage (scorch marks, bent pins, etc.).

I'm not the most knowledgeable person about electronics, but to narrow it down before I go buying a whole new CPU, could there be any other source for this problem? Thanks again!

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:07 PM

Check the capacitors around the CPU. The tops should be flat and the sides should be smooth. If there are bulging that will indicate a bad capacitor. Also if fluid is leaking from them.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:51 PM

Do you have a meter to check the voltages on the mb?

#6 lcplsexton

lcplsexton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:22 PM

I don't have a meter, nor is there any apparent damage to the capacitors, heatsink, or processor itself. I'm not too concerned with voltages because it is a brand new board direct from the manufacturer, and the system had worked perfectly up until the power outage. I've been doing more research, and it really seems the processor has gone out, because, as acklan said, I have tested everything else, including the RAM.

#7 lcplsexton

lcplsexton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:36 PM

Well, time for an update...I got a new CPU, installed it, and hooked up ONLY the RAM and video card...STILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Won't turn on. As before, the LED's light up, but the CPU fan still won't spin.

So, is it possible that the power supply I tested in the other machine (which had considerably less power-hungry components) could have a bad wire or two, thus providing just enough power for the MoBo LED's to light, but not enough to power it up? I could really use some help on this...I'm one step away from sending it to GeekSquad...but with the money I've spent trying to fix it myself, I would have to wait even longer before paying them to fix it.

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:29 AM

To light the motherboard's LED doesn't require much in the way of power. A power supply not being powerful enough to start the machine doesn't stop it from lighting the motherboard LED. Getting something more powerful in the way of a power supply sounds like the way to go.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users