Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly-built computer, graphics card woes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dr_Mint_Pinch

Dr_Mint_Pinch

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:53 AM

I recently finished putting together a new build (my first time). It passed POST and everything seemed to be working until I noticed that a dialog popped up with "Display driver updated" and restarted my computer. Restarting caused the monitor to have haphazard white stripes all across it after the BIOS screen (on the Windows loading screen). (If necessary, I will put up a picture later - at work right now.) Going into safe mode and uninstalling the driver software allowed the system to start up normally again.

People across the internet seem to think that the graphics card might be broken (not as a response to me personally but to others with a similar problem), but my graphics card is almost brand new out of the box, so I find this unlikely. Others have suggested ensuring that all the motherboard drivers (including the BIOS) are up to date before installing the GPU drivers. (Once I get home from work today, I'll re-check this thread, update all my motherboard and BIOS drivers, and try again.)

I'd really like to ask for help and make sure there's nothing wrong with the GPU, or with any of my other components, before giving up on it and asking for a refund/exchange. Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

System specs:

Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell processor

ASRock H97 Anniversary motherboard

Crucial M500 240 GB SSD

WD Blue 1 TB HDD

Asus GTX 980 Ti GPU

Corsair HXi 850W Platinum PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:09 AM

Its entirely possible you have a defective GPU. Make sure you have the GPU seated correctly, pop it out and pop it back in - just to make sure.

I would hold off on updating the BIOS drivers. Just make sure all others are up to date and you get the latest Nvidia drivers for the 980. I would do the BIOS update as a last ditch effort if the other newer drivers for everything else doesn't work. If then the BIOS update doesn't' help, I would RMA the GPU.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Dr_Mint_Pinch

Dr_Mint_Pinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:37 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a try once I'm home today.

#4 Dr_Mint_Pinch

Dr_Mint_Pinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:21 PM

Just a quick update. Motherboard drivers should be up to date but the problem persists when the graphics card driver is updated. Haven't updated the BIOS yet so I will try that tomorrow.

#5 Dr_Mint_Pinch

Dr_Mint_Pinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:31 AM

So it does seem like the GPU is giving out; now, the system is telling me it can't find the hardware.

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:20 AM

Hmm... yeah I would RMA that GPU. Probably defective.

#7 Dr_Mint_Pinch

Dr_Mint_Pinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:26 PM

Hate to necro an old topic but I thought I would post again for people who are having the same problem down the line.

The original GPU was in fact faulty. My computer appears to be running just fine now with the replacement GPU. Thanks for the advice.

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:25 AM

Good to know you are now up and running! Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users