Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Settings Prohibit Running Activex Controls On Page

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jrm99

jrm99

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

Dell Precision 360, XP Pro SP2, AOL dial-up, HP Ljet 3055

HP Ljet 3300 (prt/scan/copy) died, so installed HP Ljet 3055 (prt/scan/copy/fax) using network connection. Prt/copy OK, but scan fails with 'hp scanning... Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page.' HP software has been reinstalled several times. Internet security is Medium, Intranet security was changed from Med-low to Low. IP address of printer was added to Trusted Sites. Popup blocker is disabled. Hardwarer drive signing is set to Ignore. Also fails using USB connection. The problem must be specific to this PC, otherwise thousands of people would be having the same issue. Running Spybot 1.3 did not help (only found 3 tracking cookies). Tried installing latest version, but got 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\XMD5.dll... Unable to register the DLL/OCX: DllRegisterServer failed; code 0x8007007E.'

I am basically just a Windows user myself, but function as the 'admin' for my adult son's home office network (peer-to-peer, 1 PC running XP Pro, 1 PC running ME, 2 HP plotters, 1 HP Ljet 3055, 1 Cannon inkjet) which is 20 miles away. Have pretty much exhausted all suggestions from HP Tech Support and co-workers, so am turning to you for help. What do you suggest?

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 12 August 2006 - 12:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

When you installed the combo printer did you have it connected before you installed the software? It should not have been connected until it told you to do so on screen.

Try deleting the printer entirely (including all control software), rebooting and reinstalling it.

Are you saying that Active X is not working oon an Internet Explorer page?

If so, open Internet Explorer
click on "Tools"
then "Internet Options"
Click on the "Security" tab
Click the "Custom Level" button

Set your Active X Controls as shown:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Enthusiast, 12 August 2006 - 06:32 PM.

#3 jrm99

jrm99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:48 AM

Ljet was installed per instructions... connect printer to network, install software, let software find printer on network, reboot, print test page. No problems... until you try to scan.
The Internet custom security settings for ActiveX have been checked again and again and are NOT the issue. I was on the phone with HP TS for over 2 hours checking security settings, uninstalling/installing, etc. Internet security can not be set lower than Medium, but I don't think that would help anyway.
The HP Scan software is the only application that is open when error occurs, but when msg says '...on this page' I assume Internet Explorer components are still being used. Having IE (+ AOL) open makes no difference... no msg, no popup, nothing.
Maybe problem is caused by a corrupt/missing file or registry entry. Is there a way to trace activity and capture it to a log file?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users