Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UPS for my PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Reystar

Reystar

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:53 PM

Hello

I purchased the Cyberpower 1500VA UPS this one here (EU Version - 6 outlets, 3 battery and 3 surge)

Wall outlet ---> Powerline with an outlet passthrough (netgear PLP1200) ---> Power strip ---> Devices

My devices:
1 PC
1 Modem
1 Router
1 Desk Lamp
2 Monitors 
1 Ethernet Switch Port
1 charging adapter

8 plugs in total, running into the wall outlet for 2 years now just fine

I purchased a Cyberpower 1500VA UPS that has 3 battery outputs and 3 surge. 6 in total. Thing is that i need 4 battery outputs (ideally) for: PC, Monitor, Modem, Router and 8 outlets in total...so i have couple options i guess...

I was thinking what if i use an outlet splitter like:
15-021.jpg

1 goes for the UPS Cyberpower 
1 goes for the powerline and via the it's passthrough i connect the power strip 
1 goes for a very small UPS for modem only

this is one way i was thinking of.

Another way idea could be
Wall outlet ---> powerline with passthrough ---> power strip (non surge) ---> UPS

I also have another smaller UPS that was provided from my provider for my modem because its a VOIP line, its a small 300w UPS. Could i connect 2 UPSs on the power strip

I am really confused....!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:26 PM

In general terms, the issue becomes the rating of the cords, splitter, etc. You do not want to overload something as that could lead to a fire. This is why it is generally recommended (here in the US at least) to avoid using extension cords (they have even made the electrical codes here such that in the kitchen you are supposed to have enough plugs that are not far enough apart so as that some countertop kitchen appliance would need an extension cord to reach the plug). The splitter you are considering is essentially a very short extension cord. So, the question is whether or not that splitter would be rated to handle all the power/amps that would be drawn through the big UPS (with potentially 6 devices connected to it), the small UPS (with just the modem), and the powerline with the power strip (with assume multiple devices connected to it). This would depend on the rating of the splitter and how power/amps each device connected through the splitter draws.

So, it is not really something that I can answer. You might want to consult an electrician (which I am not, but I know some basics being an engineer) to be on the safe side. I can say that my practice (and what is recommended) is to only plug power strips and UPS devices directly into electrical outlets...that way assuming the wiring is done correctly in your house and the UPS and/or power strip is properly constructed, the fuse or circuit breaker should always be the weak link and trip before any cords or wires overheat and potentially start a fire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users