Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Baffled with Wifi connection

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 itskimmy

itskimmy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:22 PM

I have the ZyXEL AMG1201-T10A router, all of the lights are lit up in green. I am able to gain access to the internet on my desktop pc, via the B-LINK Wireless Network adapater. However, the speed has decreased.

http://i.imgur.com/oljvDft.jpg

The problem is, other devices are unable to use the internet. We have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and that can detect and connect to the Wifi but we are unable to actually use the internet on our phones. For example, we unable to perform a simple google search as it will return nothing but a white blank page that eventually turns into a connection error message. My PS4 can detect the Wifi but is unable to connect.

I have tried the following:

1. Restarting the router manually
2. Logging into the router and restarting the router
3. Reset to factory settings.
4. Changing the channel.
5. Restarted the android phones.
6. Reformatted the Samsung S5
7. Reset to factory settings on PS4

No success with any of the above.

This has just happened suddenly today, and I am pulling my hair out to find out why and how to fix the problem. I am baffled how I can connect on my desktop pc with a wireless adapter but nothing else. Everything was working perfectly yesterday. My ISP are not having any problems so I am stumped.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:51 PM

Could be a much more local problem like your line to your house... Have you had a lot of rain lately?

Does your router interface to browser connect quickly or is it very slow also?

Edited by TsVk!, 08 July 2016 - 12:05 AM.

#3 itskimmy

itskimmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:01 AM

Could be a much more local problem like your line to your house... Have you had a lot of rain lately?

Does your router interface to browser connect quickly or is it very slow also?

There has been a touch of rain here and there but nothing too heavy.

The router interface connects quickly. Normal web pages connect quick but just not as fast as normal, videos are buffering which never happened before.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:04 AM

I just saw the pic of your router, looks like it could be very old. Might be time for a new one?

#5 itskimmy

itskimmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:16 AM

I had a Netgear which went faulty, and I was given that one which was brand new. The picture does give off an old vibe to it but I've only had it for a few months, if that.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:25 AM

If you can get a spare router (or borrow one from a friend or neighbor) you could isolate the fault.

I'm more inclined to think the router has gone bunk on you, with the electronics failure bell curve. ie: Normally stuff fails in the first 3 months or after 3 years.

I think you've covered it pretty well though, I've no more suggestions.

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:58 AM

Thats a old Wifi N 150 router. How do you have the wireless configured? Or did you just use the default settings? 

#8 itskimmy

itskimmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:03 AM

Thats a old Wifi N 150 router. How do you have the wireless configured? Or did you just use the default settings? 

Default settings, although I have tried changing the channel from 1 to 6 and then 11 which didn't fix it. I've since contacted my ISP and they told me I have 14MB going into the router and they confirmed that there is no problem at their end.

I'm able to connect to the Playstation Network on the PS3 via a wired connection but not on the PS4. I ran the test connection on the PS4, obtain IP address and internet connection are successful but it failed connecting to the playstation network. I've checked the status of the PSN, and all services are up and running.

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:06 AM

Never meant to insinuate it's a ISP issue, but a issue with the gateway. Can you connect to PSN via wired? Also is UPnP enabled? See page 178 of manual for more info. If you have it enabled, and doesn't work, then my bet is a problem with IGD, a competing standard to UPnP. 

Think easiest work around would be to get a better gateway, or better yet, a separate DSL modem so you can buy your own router. N150 is ancient in Wifi terms.

#10 itskimmy

itskimmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:12 AM

Never meant to insinuate it's a ISP issue, but a issue with the gateway. Can you connect to PSN via wired? Also is UPnP enabled? See page 178 of manual for more info. If you have it enabled, and doesn't work, then my bet is a problem with IGD, a competing standard to UPnP. 

Think easiest work around would be to get a better gateway, or better yet, a separate DSL modem so you can buy your own router. N150 is ancient in Wifi terms.

I can only connect to PSN wired on the PS3, not PS4. However, I can use the web browser on the PS4 and dowload game updates which baffles me.

UPnP is enabled.

My ISP are sending me out a new router, it's the same brand but a more up to date one.

Edited by itskimmy, 08 July 2016 - 08:13 AM.

#11 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:48 AM

Your ISP doesn't let you buy your own? Most will have a support page listing compatible modems you can buy, then once you have a modem any router should work. Having a separate modem would help because you could isolate network(LAN) issues from ISP issues. If nothing else, thats what I would suggest next if the new router they send doesn't work.

#12 itskimmy

itskimmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:05 AM

They do but they would send out a free one if we sign up for another contract, which we was going to anyway as it is the only ISP we can get access to in our city.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users