Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Symantec and Norton Security Products Contain Critical Vulnerabilities

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:10 PM

Symantec and Norton branded antivirus products contain multiple vulnerabilities. Some of these products are in widespread use throughout government and industry. Exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow a remote attacker to take control of an affected system.

Read full article here: https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-187A

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:20 PM

Yep, they're not having a good year:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/615348/another-reason-not-to-use-symantec/

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:14 PM

To be honest have they ever been good?

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,608 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:54 PM

Well, yeah, sorta.  About 15 years or so ago, they built their reputation on being way better than McAfee.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 Ethan_PCG

Ethan_PCG

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:56 AM

Even though I use Norton anti virus myself I wouldn't say it is the best anti virus out there. I would recommend Malwarebytes to people who don't have an anti virus or AVG for people who can't afford anti virus, and just want one that doesn't cost any money. 

"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:38 PM

I would recommend Malwarebytes to people who don't have an anti virus

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild".

This includes malicious programs and files, such as virus droppers, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. That being said, there are many infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect or remove which any antivirus software will, such as file infectors.

https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/hc/en-us/articles/201861736-Does-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-replace-antivirus-software-

#7 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:54 AM

The....ahem.... 'aforementioned' security suite was installed on my pc as part of an extra package I was talked into buying by an over-exuberant member of a sales team when I purchased my first ever pc back in 2013 as a complete novice.

Supposedly being the best 'all-bells-and-whistles' AV program money could buy (in the salesgirl's opinion), I spent the best part of the first year struggling with (what I now know!) was a malware (and god knows what else!)-ridden notebook pc that was running slow and hot with the fans kicking in all the darn time. How my dear little Samsung NP3530 survived the first year of it's life, I'll never know!

It seems that the 'aforementioned' AV suite did pretty much nothing to protect me as a novice user. The turning point came when, out of sheer frustration (and at the end of my tether!), I signed up to this site. After doing a little research within this forum and running/installing some of the free-to-use programs listed in the Downloads forum of BC (see my sig), I completely cleansed by long-suffering pc within a couple of hours and haven't been infected since!  

And one thing I really don't understand is why so many folk seem to be quick to put down Windows Defender? IMO, someone must be really going some and visiting some pretty darn dark and deep places on the web to be getting infected with Win Def and firewall installed on their device. I have never had any problems with it whatsoever.

This place has been a godsend to me. Just would like to take this opportunity to thank those that work or are affiliated here. I am very much in debt to you all! 

Edited by robby501, 05 September 2016 - 07:11 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users