Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start up loop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 texascoach

texascoach

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:54 PM

I have an HP 2000 laptop that I believe runs Windows 8 that is continually stuck in a start up loop. I tried starting it, pressing esc and then running a quick test. It failed the DST test with a software error. What are my options?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:05 PM

Run the long/extended test,

When it fails (the most likely scenario), be prepared to need:
- a new HDD

- your product key

- a set of recovery media to reinstall W8 (you may not need the product key if you get the recovery media from HP)

You may or may not be able to recover data from the current hard drive.

If you want to try, be advised that every time the old hard drive is accessed, it increases the chance of the drive failing.

Let us know if you want to try to recover stuff from the drive, and we'll move on from there.

Edited by usasma, 08 July 2016 - 03:07 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 texascoach

texascoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:10 PM

So I was able to get into system information by pressing F11 repeatedly on start up. I went to startup repair, to start up settings, and restarted. It allowed me to open into safe mode and I was able to see my desktop and all my files. When I restarted again in regular mode, it just hangs up again.

Any suggestions?

#4 texascoach

texascoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:05 PM

I was able to get it back to safe mode, so I just have it sitting on my desktop until I get a response here for my next move.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:35 AM

1)  Backup your stuff IMMEDIATELY.  If the drive is failing, then you may not have much time before it dies completely.  Data recovery from a dead drive is very expensive!

Let us know when the backup is done (or if you decide not to do a backup)

2)  Then run the long/extended hard drive test ( links here:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html )

Let us know the results of that test.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users