Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What the hell america?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:53 PM

I see on the news that the cops there are killing more black people, what the hell is happening over there.
Is it because nearly everyone has a gun and the cops feel threatened? I have seen footage after footage of people (Generally black) being gunned down by cops for nothing but traffic accident.

You guys in america really need to do something about the way the so called "Protectors" are acting like the wild west.
There needs to be mass riots and i honestley think guns need to be taken of the hands of these renegade cops. Give them a taser or rubber bullets.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 July 2016 - 10:48 PM.
moved from General Chat to Speak Easy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,046 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:07 AM

news just in...

The initial peaceful protest came after the deaths of two black men shot by police officers in separate incidents within days.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-08/dallas-police-shot-dead-by-snipers/7581276

Here's what we know so far:
  • 11 police officers have been shot, four are dead
  • Police say two of the officers are in critical condition
  • One person of interest has turned himself in
  • Another suspect is in custody after a shootout with police

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 powernub

powernub

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:44 AM

Wow. Nothing good will come from this.

#4 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:53 AM

I get the impression that most of the shootings occur due to a lack of training.

Constables are taught to fear the worst, and so expect the worst, and react in that manner.

Training should focus on defusing a situation, rather than reacting to it.

Unfortunately, we are encountering similar incidents in Canada, though not to the frequency and violence level that is occurring in the US.

I think the problem lies in the continued increase is population, requiring more personnel, combined with a decrease in the number of qualified applicants to our police departments.

Add to that the large immigrant populations in large urban areas, who come from countries where they fear the police, rather than respect them.

Tuppence,

Naught.

#5 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:38 PM

Think I would feel saver living in Irag or Syria than the USA!

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:21 PM

I see on the news that the cops there are killing more black people, what the hell is happening over there.

Is it because nearly everyone has a gun and the cops feel threatened? I have seen footage after footage of people (Generally black) being gunned down by cops for nothing but traffic accident.

To be honest.... the media and what people put online make it seem like all the cops do is kill black people. Sure, racism is still a big issue in America... it shouldn't be but it is. So this kind of thing tends to get the forefront of the news cycles. Though if you look at the numbers, almost double the amount of white people have been killed by a cop this year than a black person. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2016/

Think I would feel saver living in Irag or Syria than the USA!

Good luck with that...

All the shootings that have happened are terrible.... but honestly most of the stories are one sided. Who knows what actually happened. I'm not siding with the cops, nor am I siding with the civilians in these cases. Not yet anyway. Either way, its a terrible tragedy when a life is taken, no matter who is wrong or right.

Then you get the crazies like the people that started a war with the Dallas cops and killed 4 of them. I watched a video someone took of one of the gunman systematically using cover to blind side a cop and shoot him point blank range with a rifle! What the F*** people! Messed up. Apparently this guy was an ex military guy too. The Jester (look up thejester if you don't know who he is) tweeted that he was.

All the violence has to stop, both ways.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 08 July 2016 - 01:21 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,403 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:28 PM

I am reading the members comments on another site about this. It turns out one of the 4 shooters was a soldier.

This is one of the replies.

That soldier did exactly what he was trained to do: "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

Killing innocent cops is considered defending the Constitution of the United States by some. This is just plain wrong.

The 5 cops that were murdered had nothing to do with it, They were decent hard working people with families.

Whilst I am not anti gun and support peoples rights to own guns, I have a few question.

Why do Americans  feel the need to always be armed, I mean you are going to the store to get milk, Why do you need to have a Glock strapped to your hip?

Is America truly that dangerous, Have you slipped back into the wild west days?

Australia seems like such a different place, It truly is the lucky country,  Generally we do not fear our police, and they do not fear the population, Oh sure we hate them when we get booked, Australians will understand what I mean.

Edited by NickAu, 08 July 2016 - 10:02 PM.

#8 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:51 PM

You guys in america really need to do something about ...

If you don't live here STFU.  We don't need your help.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,046 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:28 PM

And that comment, sunshine, is exactly why topics get closed and members become non members .......

we dont need your help could be considered infantile in some quarters.....

Nothing helpful/positive/contributory etc to say ?....say nothing.

The Facts according to Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_shooting_of_Dallas_police_officers

Opinion piece....NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/09/opinion/my-protests-and-prayers-in-dallas.html?_r=0

2qn6s0y.jpg

protest group....middle of the road type of folks

Edited by Condobloke, 08 July 2016 - 10:36 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:07 PM

Well...I've never quite understood...why "the media" pretend that every incident involving a black person, honest or immoral, is a "national tragedy" that can be played up for several days of moronic comments and "support statements".

For those of you who have never lived in a "black neighborhood", let alone in a black slum...the most-feared personnel in such are the inhabitants.  The persons taking the greatest advantages of the "black brethren"...are some of those "black brethren."  The crime element in such "communities...the fear element...derive from a segment of those "black brethren" who seem to become so revered every so often (usually when the mdia need a "story" to throw out for public consumption while other matters should/could be commanding public attention.

I wonder how many of you with comments regarding such incidents...have ever put yourselves in a position where your job is to provide security for those incapable or unwilling to provide secuyrity for themselves.  How many of you even provide security for your family, your home...by owning a gun and being proud of the idea that your possessing a weapon makes you more capable of defending anyone or anything, including yourself?

The police, the armed forces....they all have a difficult job...doing that which we do not or cannot do for ourselves.  That doesn't seem to be acknowledged or recognized by many...nor do many have a realistic view of the environments which designated security forces must operate in.

Sorry for the intrusion of reality...go back to your mindless comments about the "national tragedies" that are not national tragedies.

Louis

P.S.  I understand this topic now, I just took a look at who the initiator was.

Edited by hamluis, 09 July 2016 - 05:08 PM.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:45 PM

Luis, I agree with your comment about the police having a difficult job, but it is made more difficult by the readily available weaponry in the hands of your citizens. A proportion of the uniformed police in the UK are routinely armed with pistols but I think that even on a pro rata population basis we have fewer citizens shot by the police because they do not approach situations on the assumption that the individuals involved may be armed.

I do suspect, although I do not have figures to support it, that in situations where they believe the suspect(s) may be armed that they are no less ready to shoot than any other police force. This of course leads to tragic mistakes happening. The deaths of the Brazilian J C Menezes on the London tube and Harry Stanley come to mind here.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:49 PM

You are right Luis we non Americans don't get it. 

Why is the USA so different to Australia or England or Canada ( population numbers aside ).

I cant imagine being able to walk down the street with a assault rifle slung over my shoulder and or a pistol on my hip,

Suspect-for-Dallas-police-officer-shooti

Edited by NickAu, 09 July 2016 - 05:51 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

Nick...the problem is that "the media" has one job...to serve the public a lot of useless disinformation that keeps the public from being concerned about the issues that they should be concerned with.

I've never been a policeman...but I've been a soldier.  I had carried a gun long before I entered the military, as a 15-year-old attending high school.  And I had no doubt in my mind then...that I would use it occasion warranted such.

That was life in the city for me at 15...I have no idea what it was like for women or younger children.  That was life in a "black neighborhood, the inner city".  I would not have made a martyr of anyone whom I had cause to use that weapon on...but the media would have, if such suited their purposes.  If not, it would have just been another teen incident in the city I grew up in.

I had much more to fear...from my "black brethren" than I had from the police...and I knew it...and I took measures to minimize my risks.

Maybe every black person now becomes a saint when they die...maybe every black person now becomes a saint when they die as the result of action by "the police."  And maybe...it's just another diversion of public interest into a channel where only a minority of persons have any interest whatever in the why and how...the real circumstances...of how another person was shot by those "awful cops" who are underpaid, overworked...and daily deal with situations that you and I would just rather not even think about.

Louis

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:10 PM

My Wife is a police woman and I understand what police face everyday. 

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:25 PM

To all who think they have pertinent opinions, I suggest you take a look at the following.

Article Worth Reading, IMO

Another would be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States, yet another would be http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/wp/2015/12/26/2015/12/26/a-year-of-reckoning-police-fatally-shoot-nearly-1000/ .

IMO, that's a hell of a working climate for anyone to have to face every day...and not make mistakes.  Mistakes happen in the military all the time when troops are in highly stressful environments...it's part of the human process (making mistakes under high stress).

How would you do?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 July 2016 - 07:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users