Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to create restore point

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PGJ

PGJ

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:16 PM

I was not expecting this, I'm already having issues and just found I can't even make a restore point. So I'm hoping there are repairs I can make, or at least run some tools to find out what the problem is. I got a screen shot of the error message while trying to make one.

restore%20point%20fail.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:41 AM

Does this error message happen when you open the System properties dialog box or when you click System Restore button.
Also which partition does the System restore points setup to store at.
Press 7W6b39o.png  keys and type rstrui.exe into opened Run dialog box and click OK button to open System Restore tool.

Posted Image

#3 PGJ

PGJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:29 PM

When I open the item for the system information, it's fine and off to the left of that screen you'll see there's four administrative tools, that's being partially covered. When I click on the one for "System Protection", the error comes up.

I'm actually not sure where it stores it at, but I think recently, while freeing up some space, the folder that had all the old restore points was emptied.

I tried the short cut and I didn't get an error until it opened the System Protection tool, the same error message. 

Edited by sirMAXX, 08 July 2016 - 12:38 PM.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:47 PM

The partition where all system restore points are stored and can be changed from System Properties where you have post the screenshot of it. Under Protection Settings, click the disk, and then click Configure.

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.  Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow  

Sfc command will repair any damage Windows system files. If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

Run the batch script i have created as a administrator to restore Windows services to there default startup settings. Batch script can be downloaded from below link.

Set Windows Services To Default Startup

Posted Image

#5 PGJ

PGJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:05 PM

I'm stuck at the part with Protection Settings showing a disk. Right under where it says "Available Drives", it hangs with a queue that says "Searching..." and doesn't change. Left clicking anywhere under that box doesn't do anything.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:26 PM

Open the Command Prompt as a administrator and type below command and press Enter key.

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=20%

After executing the above command the output of this command should say Successfully resized the shadow copy storage association any other output please write it down at your next post.

Now see if you can start the System Restore tool.

Posted Image

#7 PGJ

PGJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:48 PM

Okay.

I got stuck for a second, but got it. It failed though.

vss%20failed.jpg

I'm looking at the event viewer for the application and it's showing a few errors.

vss%20event%20veiwer%20errors.jpg

Edited by sirMAXX, 08 July 2016 - 04:01 PM.

#8 PGJ

PGJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:27 PM

Am I out of luck with this issue?

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool and run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool from Safe Mode With Networking and  from Repairs tab click Open Repairs button. From opened Repairs window place check mark for  Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI, Repair Network, Repair Windows Firewall, Remove Policies Set By Infections, Repair Proxy Settings, Repair MSI (Windows Installer), Restore Important Windows Services, Set Windows Services To Default Startup, Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings and Reset File Permissions check boxes and click Start Repair button.

Edited by FreeBooter, 10 July 2016 - 07:38 PM.

Posted Image

#10 PGJ

PGJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:25 PM

Okay, I'll give that a shot.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:47 PM

I forget to add you need to select Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service option  as well.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users