Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

getting frustrated with slow wifi at home

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jethrodfrog

jethrodfrog

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:13 PM

Ever since I have had this laptop, I have experienced slow wifi, but only at home.  I know this because I travel for a living and in countless hotels it works...ok.  Not awesome, just ok.  I have run a virus scan and there's nothing wrong with it.  What would be my next step for fixing the problem?  I use this laptop to fall asleep watching netflix at night and it takes me about 2 hours to watch a one hour episode because it keeps buffering through the entire episode.  I know my way around computers to a point but am in no means an expert like anyone on here so if you could please dumb down the language to something I could understand I would be MUCH appreciative! :thumbup2:   Thanks!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 July 2016 - 08:32 AM.
moved from Windows 8 to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:28 AM

If you have no issue with speed of the internet connection at other places then at your home there is a issue at your home internet connection or connection to router. Your Router could be malfunctioning or setup incorrectly reset your router to its factory default settings. Check the Wifi connection speed to your router open the "Control Panel  ---> Network and Sharing Center"  click your wireless connection name to view its properties.Test your Internet connection bandwidth.

Increase WiFi Speed and Signal strength and coverage area

Edited by FreeBooter, 08 July 2016 - 12:29 AM.

Posted Image

#3 jethrodfrog

jethrodfrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

According to the first test for signal strength, it's funny.  I don't know if this is normal or not, but it keeps dropping from 130 mbps to 78.  As for my ping, it says 24ms, and my download and upload speeds are .12 and 3.66 respectively.  The problem has to be the connection to the router like you said, because all the other devices work just fine, and like I said, with other wifi setups THIS computer works fine too.  

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:22 PM

There are a number of things that can affect signal strength. How far is the WiFi transmitter from your computer? Which 802.11 protocol are you using? B? G? N? Is there anything that might be interfering with the WiFi signal?

Lastly, if you have ethernet ports on the router, what happens to your data speeds if you use an ethernet connection instead of WiFi? That would at least narrow down whether it is a WiFI issue, or an issue with the router itself.

#5 jethrodfrog

jethrodfrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:39 PM

So many questions so few answers!!  Let's start at one

1.  Wifi is literally in the next room.

2.  What is a whatsamajiggy protocol?  How do I find that out?

3.  Literally 5 feet between me an the router with a wall separating me and it.

4.  The speed stays at exactly 130 mbps if plugged in.  According to my mother, the router AND modem were both replaced within the last 6 months.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:32 AM

The fact that your data speeds are fast and stable on ethernet indicates it is a WiFi issue.

If you log into the router's admin console, there should be a section for protocol settings. You'll need to know the router's admin username and password.

You mentioned a wall between you and the router. Is it brick? Sheetrock? What kinds of electronic devices are between your computer and the router?

Also, are you using a built-in WiFi receiver on the computer or a USB-type receiver?

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:52 AM

What model router and modem are you using? Also what model laptop? Many ISPs provide cheap wireless gateways that depend on active wifi amps that don't work well with the smaller internal antenna on some devices. That might explain why the issue is with the upload. 

#8 jethrodfrog

jethrodfrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:15 PM

So it's a regular wall (sheetrock) between it and I.  Also, there's only a TV set in between that and me.  That's it.  Oh, and a computer that hasn't worked in ten years and is permanently off so that is seriously unlikely to be something interfering with a wifi signal.  How do I get into the router's admin console?  I'm not sure I would be able to anyways because my mother set it up and it's highly unlikely she wrote something like that down.  Anyways, I'm on an HP laptop.  According to the bottom it's an HQ-TRE, but there's no other numbers anywhere so I'm guessing that's the model number?  It's about a year old now and the wifi has never worked from day one unless I am under a different wifi signal.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users