Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's Slowing down my computer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Xysaerv

Xysaerv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:53 PM

Hi, this question falls under mutiple categories on this forum and hopefully I posted this in the appropriate place.

*cough, clears throat*

I have been dealing with a slow Windows 10, 64 Bit Computer. (Asus - Model number: G751JMBHI7T25) - - I have been suspicious for months that I've had a virus - However, I've scannedI've scanned with :

Avast, Adaware, Malware Bytes, Spybot search and destroy, webroot Internet security suite (own full version). I also have done rootkit and keylogger scan with Hijack this. And I have been 100% clean, every time for everything.

In terms ofmaintenance, I :
* defrag weekly
* disk cleanup daily
* Done a memory check.
* Have all windows updates
* Manually went through all my drivers they are up to date, including video card.
* checked for unnecessary start up programs and services, nothing could disable.
* I optimize daily with Ccleaner
* Have optimized computer for best performance in Control Panel

Im stumped, do you know what could be causing a slow computer? Or am I being paranoid?

- PS: Keep in mind This process of elimination went on for months. In Addition, I did fix one problem I came across in which Internet Explorer was saving cache in wrong directory and Disk cleanup for some reason didnt catch it. This apparently was present since I bought computer and can only assume was a random bug considering hasnt happened since.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:51 PM

Avast, Adaware, Malware Bytes, Spybot search and destroy, webroot Internet security suite (own full version). I also have done rootkit and keylogger scan with Hijack this. And I have been 100% clean, every time for everything.

Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable...it can slow down computer performance as well as cause other issues. The same applies if using multiple anti-malware programs with real-time protection. Read the IMPORTANT NOTE in this topic: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Also see Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware.

One of the most common culprits is too many startup applications. Almost all applications you install want to startup when Windows loads. Many of these programs are not needed and disabling them can save resources and improve performance as they are available from the Start Menu > All Programs or an icon on the Desktop if needed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Xysaerv

Xysaerv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:49 PM

I'm well aware having more than one anti-virus can slow your computer. But, it's my fault for not clarifying. I scanned with all those programs then uninstalled after the scan results. The ONLY program I have and use is Webroot.

Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable...it can slow down computer performance as well as cause other issues. The same applies if using multiple anti-malware programs with real-time protection. Read the IMPORTANT NOTE in this topic: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.Also see Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware.One of the most common culprits is too many startup applications. Almost all applications you install want to startup when Windows loads. Many of these programs are not needed and disabling them can save resources and improve performance as they are available from the Start Menu > All Programs or an icon on the Desktop if needed.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:27 AM

Please ask for malware infection checkup, BC has expert malware removers they will assist you disinfect your computer from malware infection follow the instructions at Am I Infected? What do I do? How do I get help? Who is helping me? thread.

You can follow my instructions at my thread to boost speed of Windows OS link to tutorial is below.

Tweaking & Optimizing Windows

Posted Image

#5 Ethan_PCG

Ethan_PCG

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:18 PM

Do you know how much RAM you have on your computer? If you're low on RAM then that could be the reason why your computer is slow. Also, clean your computer because all the dust goes into the fans which causes the computer to overheat. Make sure you clean your computer and uninstall things you don't need. 

"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:03 PM

That and more is covered in the Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users