Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best way to protect battery health (not charge) when using laptop AT HOME

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 anniyan

anniyan

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:45 PM

i have always been intrigued about this, right from when i purchased my first laptop. since a laptop's battery has a particular limited number of charging-discharging cycles, (however big might be the number), what is the best way to use the laptop when i am AT HOME, so as to conserve the cycles of the battery?

possibilities:

a. remove the battery and plug-in the AC adapter directly and use the laptop (like i use a desktop).

b. use the laptop at home the same way when i am outside. ie., use the laptop when it is being charged; once it reaches 100% unplug the AC adapter and continue using the laptop.

c. without removing the battery, plug-in the AC adapter directly and use the laptop as long as i need, assuming that the laptop has some internal mechanism to automatically cut off the supply to the battery once it reaches 100% so as to prevent the battery from over-heating due to over-charging, therby protecting the battery's life.

my main concern is to conserve the number of cycles of the battery. i am so much concerned because the 9-cell-battery of my laptop (hp pavilion dv6t quad edition) lasted for a short time only. i am using the 2nd method. am i wrong in doing so? EXPERT KNOWLEDGE is most welcome. thanks in advance to everyone :)

Edited by anniyan, 07 July 2016 - 07:46 PM.

Become a BleepingComputer fan on Facebook
Have you seen.....Select Real Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:48 PM

Batteries function best and last longest if you charge and discharge fully.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

I would use A) unplug battery and use like a desktop

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#4 anniyan

anniyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:22 PM

sorry about the late response.

@Captain_Chicken: i completely agree with your statement, when i am using it on the move. wouldn't doing the same even when i using it at home, consume battery charge-discharge cycles unnecessarily? i don't know if i am right. please enlighten me.

@bc0306: even i think the same.

expert opinions with sufficient backing are most welcome, please. :)

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:12 PM

I have a Lenovo unit that has been run mostly on the adapter but once a week I unplug the adapter and let the unit run until it shuts off, usually around 5%.  It recharges normally.  The battery run time has not diminished from 6 hours  when I bought it, three years ago.  The newer Li-ion cells are superior  with more power in a smaller package but this also creates more heat during charge and discharge cycles.

#6 anniyan

anniyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:43 PM

I have a Lenovo unit that has been run mostly on the adapter but once a week I unplug the adapter and let the unit run until it shuts off, usually around 5%.  It recharges normally.  The battery run time has not diminished from 6 hours  when I bought it, three years ago.  The newer Li-ion cells are superior  with more power in a smaller package but this also creates more heat during charge and discharge cycles.

pardon my ignorance, but since i am not a native English speaker i could not understand what you meant by

"run mostly on the adapter but once a week I unplug the adapter and let the unit run until it shuts off, usually around 5%"

you mean the option C mentioned in my original question?

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:49 PM

I've always used method C, just leave the battery in and connect to power for my work laptops and have never had issues with a battery, but then again I rarely use a laptop without power.  I have given my battery to a user who had a failed battery so that they could work until a replacement arrived.  Laptops will stop charging the battery before it gets to 100%, normally 95% to 97%.

I'd recommend against A as a power loss will result in loss of work.  Method B isn't much bette

#8 anniyan

anniyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:41 PM

@Kilroy thanks a lot :) any expert article on the internet which i can refer to on this subject?

#9 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:14 PM

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/features/how-to-prolong-battery-life-on-your-smartphone-or-tablet-600688?site=classic

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 anniyan

anniyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:56 PM

@Captain_Chicken
thank you very much :) excellent find.

i would like to add some more links:

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_maximize_my_battery_life.html

http://batterycare.net/en/guide.html

http://h20239.www2.hp.com/techcenter/battery/battery_basics.htm

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users