Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU issue - is this hardware or software?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:35 PM

My Dell XPS 8100 (Windows 7) recently crashed and the screen went beige during a game I was playing. On restarting, after the Windows 7 logo, graphics appear very distorted on the 'Welcome' screen and the screen then turns chequered dark blue - no text/cursor. 

Disabling the GPU using safe mode allows the PC to load, albeit with reduced resolution. I'm wondering is the problem to do with the GPU or the drivers? I updated the drivers for my GPU (Sapphire ATI Radeon 7850 OC) and enabled it. This resulted in a BSOD with a 'bad error pool' message. Now I'm running memtest because my friend and my brother think its either a GPU driver issue or a RAM issue and that I should reinstall/repair my OS. I think its a GPU hardware fault. 

Any ideas? Hesitant on just buying a new GPU without exhausting other options seeing as they can be pricey, especially if it turns out that I was wrong about it being a hardware issue. 

Edited by Skydie, 07 July 2016 - 05:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:11 PM

Find out if it's your graphics card or not,

plug in the monitor via the ONBOARD VGA(or which ever )port you have.

if you get good picture and no BSOD's then the card is going out.

if not. let us know.

-ViperSec.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

Skydie If your Ram have a issue then your pc run but in monitor it remain "No Signal" so clean installing windows may repair it. Notice that before installing windows plug in your Graphic Card
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#4 Skydie

Skydie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:41 PM

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

Memtest came up negative for any errors. After disabling the GPU, reverting to old drivers (even though I was pretty sure I didn't update them) the GPU still caused the PC to unable to load. Disabling the GPU removed this issue. Honestly since last time I had a GPU issue hard resetting the PC caused my HDD to also die - I think - I just decided it was easier to replace the GPU. Bought a EVGA GTX 960. Painless and easy installation. Only issue is initially display seemed dark (as I switched from DVI to HDMI). Found out this is quite a common issue. Fix : https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/  

As an aside, if anyone else is looking to buy a GPU the GTX 960 is cool, but I would wait a month if time isn't so important. The GTX 1060 is coming out soon, the price will decrease. Versus the AMD 7850 the GTX 960 was smaller and easier to fit. Going team green comes at a increase in price but in my opinion its worth the ease of install/drivers. 

#5 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:01 AM

As an aside, if anyone else is looking to buy a GPU the GTX 960 is cool, but I would wait a month if time isn't so important. The GTX 1060 is coming out soon, the price will decrease.

Why don't you go with RX 480 if want to upgrade you Graphic Card
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#6 Skydie

Skydie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:47 PM

@ LiamP5

Wanted a bit of a change from AMD, their drivers always caused me a few headaches every couple of months. Plus with the limited lifetime left of my PC thought might as well get a EVGA with a 3 year warranty. Didn't want to buy anything too expensive as the other parts are pretty out of date. 

#7 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:27 PM

@ LiamP5

Wanted a bit of a change from AMD, their drivers always caused me a few headaches every couple of months. Plus with the limited lifetime left of my PC thought might as well get a EVGA with a 3 year warranty. Didn't want to buy anything too expensive as the other parts are pretty out of date.

AMD drivers are more good than Nvidia drivers. Also EVGA model is worse Gigabyte is more than good and too strong. Right i'm having Gigabyte R9 380 G1 Gaming Graphic Card where i have not any problem instead i got many problem with gtx 750 ti, 460 and gt 640, 730. I'm not telling nvidia graphic card are not good but also i don't like nvidia driver than amd. If you don't like waste too much money than you also can go for gigabyte r9 380(gtx 960 killer) or r9 390 or RX 460/470.
Be happy, always try
for it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users