Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Beats Special Edition constant overheating

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Syndog

Syndog

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:32 PM

Hi community,

I need some help here, as I've exhausted all suggestions and solutions i've thus far found and tried. 
My notebook is described as above, the full model description is HP Beats Special Edition 15 Notebook 15 - p058na. Let me know if further info is required. Now, it's never been very good, and is only 14 months old (warranty expired). Besides, I wouldn't recommend this model, despite the price. The main downfall is the processor and terrible audio quality.

It recently started shutting itself down, mostly whilst playing video of any format (web/media player) claiming to be exceeding 90 degrees CPU temp. The things I have tried are as follows:

1. Updated the system BIOS, and checked for windows updates - which there were none.
 2. Got inside the laptop and dusted everything off - fan, HDD, everything. It wasn't that mucky, aside from some crud blocking a small portion of the heatsink.
 3. Got myself some thermal paste, cleaned off the CPU and put new paste on - I've done this successfully before with Xbox 360 and PS3, and the laptop was considerably easier to do.
 4. Installed Speccy to monitor my component temperatures, upon startup and with no processes running, it measures the CPU at around 122 degrees celcius!! When I run a program or watch a video, this can rise to the top of the scale at 155! The motherboard is getting too hot too.

Upon completing each of the first three steps, I felt confident when booting it up as it 'sounded better' if that makes sense, but nothing has resolved the overheating issue.

Another thing possibly worth mentioning - some time ago it went through a period of vibrating very loudly, which settled down after a minute or two. I've never tried to run high-spec games of this piece of cr*p, only played lots of video and music.

I'd appreciate further ideas of things to try next, or experiences with this model or other HP notebooks. My online searches don't come up with anything specific to this model and I do believe i've done the essential things to try and resolve this.

I'll check in soon and can post some pictures/screenshots if required - this may be difficult as it shuts down pretty quickly.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:03 PM

Reset the computer?

don't go to windows just insert the recovery disk and boot from it

Don't even think about it if your not sure