Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Self Assigned IP Address

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WilliamCormode

WilliamCormode

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:52 PM

I am having some issues with devices.

Here is my setup (School Environment):

I have a Mac running OSX Server to handle my DHCP and DNS

I have an ethernet patch panel for incoming cables.

The patch panel connects to a ProCurve 4000 switch.

The switch connects through one cable to a Procurve 2910

I have been adding projectors to rooms and connecting them to the ethernet. I have been repurposing all of the old ethernet ports that already existed in the rooms by removing the boxes, rejacking them, and plugging them into the projectors. Up until yesterday I havent had any problems with any of the projectors. Now the last two projectors that I have done are giving me self assigned IP addresses.

I tried connecting a Macbook air into it using a USB ethernet adapter and the Macbook picked up an IP address but it was the same one that the last computer using the adapter had. No websites would load but I could ping other computers on the network.

The only thing left that I can think of is to just run a new ethernet cable but I was hoping someone had other ideas before I did that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:59 PM

Seems like the settings may not have migrated properly.

One that seems particularly vulnerable to odd problems is the system firewall. Luckily the fix is a relatively easy one; all you have to do is remove the firewall's preferences and then reboot the system.

To reset the firewall, go to the /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/ folder and remove the file called "com.apple.alf.plist," and then restart your computer. After the system boots, you may be prompted to allow incoming connections to numerous programs and services, so accept these for now (you can always go to the Firewall settings and deny or remove entries later on) and then try connecting to the network again. While configuration changes from migrating or restoring a system can lead to this problem, at other times major system crashes or power outages can do the same.

Only other thing i can think of is:

Go into System preferences
Then Network preferences
Click on "Advanced" button in bottom right corner
Go to "Proxies" tab
Uncheck (disable) the "Use passive FTP mode" box

I hope that helps some.

-ViperSec

Edited by Viper_Security, 07 July 2016 - 05:02 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 WilliamCormode

WilliamCormode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:09 PM

I saw that reply on another thread. It doesn't apply here. I can't do that on the Epson projector and the firewall isn't turned on for the Mac. The fact that it happens on both means it has nothing to do with the settings on the Mac.

Update: I unplugged the cable leading from the patch panel to the switch and plugged it into another Mac and I am connected to the Internet. Leading me to believe the problem is in between the patch panel and the projector.

The cable works because I can ping other computers. I used a cable tester and it lights up.

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:13 PM

I saw that reply on another thread. It doesn't apply here. I can't do that on the Epson projector and the firewall isn't turned on for the Mac. The fact that it happens on both means it has nothing to do with the settings on the Mac.

Update: I unplugged the cable leading from the patch panel to the switch and plugged it into another Mac and I am connected to the Internet. Leading me to believe the problem is in between the patch panel and the projector.

The cable works because I can ping other computers. I used a cable tester and it lights up.

Well, i tried sorry i couldn't help you.

good day.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:59 PM

"picked up an IP address but it was the same one that the last computer using the adapter had.

Sounds like running out of IP's. How many devices do you have and whats your DHCP pool?

#6 WilliamCormode

WilliamCormode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:38 AM

"picked up an IP address but it was the same one that the last computer using the adapter had.

Sounds like running out of IP's. How many devices do you have and whats your DHCP pool?

I thought about that but I have over 2000 addresses available to devices that are plugged in directly and no where near that many devices that can plug in. I just did a scan and there are only 188 hosts alive right now.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:13 PM

Now the last two projectors that I have done are giving me self assigned IP addresses.

More likely there is a problem with those connections than a system wide issue.  Don't make a issue bigger than it really is

#8 WilliamCormode

WilliamCormode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:07 AM

Ran a new cable and it works fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users