Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

learning virus removal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fozzer2016

fozzer2016

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:04 PM

hi  i would like to learn where i could learn virus removal or how you guys learned about it i have tried  join the pro gram but have no joy

any help would be appeciated

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:07 PM

I learned about it by having 18+ years of IT experience. Dissecting malware, infecting myself on VM to see waht the viri do or what the malware do (there IS a difference) but there really is no "formal" training for virus removal and if so they'd go a lot deeper than just removing them.

there's a bunch of programs you can use that will remove them for you, but SOMETIMES (not all the time) you have to manually remove certain aspects of the infection.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,537 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:11 PM

Take a look here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532535/malware-removal-training-program/

Pay particular attention to the Paragraph under the RED Please Note:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:04 PM

Well if we're talking about personal experiences...

I started learning malware removal on another forum, because I was already into technical support at that time. For me, malware removal was only another aspect of it I needed to learn in order to be more efficient at what I was doing. However, the more I learned about it, the more I got into it and I started developing what I can call a passion for it. This is when I became serious and been told about UNITE and technical support forums which also offered a malware removal course (BleepingComputer, GeeksToGo, etc). So long story short, I ended up joining a program and recently completed it here at BleepingComputer. I had the chance to be mentored at the beginning by an expert, so I didn't start that training empty-handed and since I was already studying in IT and quite good when it come to technical support, I was able to apply my knowledge of Windows to what I was being taught and it made it easier (it also made it harder sometimes, knowledge can be an hassle sometimes). I would say that if you are really, really serious about learning malware removal, the best place to do so would be here, or another forum that offers a similar course. I suggest you check out the link Animal posted above and go from there.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:13 PM

Well if we're talking about personal experiences...

I started learning malware removal on another forum, because I was already into technical support at that time. For me, malware removal was only another aspect of it I needed to learn in order to be more efficient at what I was doing. However, the more I learned about it, the more I got into it and I started developing what I can call a passion for it. This is when I became serious and been told about UNITE and technical support forums which also offered a malware removal course (BleepingComputer, GeeksToGo, etc). So long story short, I ended up joining a program and recently completed it here at BleepingComputer. I had the chance to be mentored at the beginning by an expert, so I didn't start that training empty-handed and since I was already studying in IT and quite good when it come to technical support, I was able to apply my knowledge of Windows to what I was being taught and it made it easier (it also made it harder sometimes, knowledge can be an hassle sometimes). I would say that if you are really, really serious about learning malware removal, the best place to do so would be here, or another forum that offers a similar course. I suggest you check out the link Animal posted above and go from there.

Somewhat agree. it will help you GREATLY if you understand how NT works.

However, if you are going in blind, you WILL get frustrated, and annoyed, are you specifically talking about malware removal alone or understanding what it does (depending on which) and how to use counter measures to stop it or cease activity.

IMO, Experience is much better than a {course} haha.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:03 PM

Though you still need to have some kind of training, guidance, etc. prior to do malware remvoval on live system, because the smallest mistake can make a whole system unusable, forcing you to clean reinstall it.

Also, malware removal isn't something taught at school, at least, not here in Québec when you do a DEC in IT.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:20 AM

Perhaps, but there are a couple of things to note:

1) By participating in a malware removal course, you join a community of friends who you can go to for second, third, fourth, etc opinions. Difficult infections might need more than one brain to remove safely.

2) you gain access to knowledge that isn't available to the public - e.g: how FRST works on a low level, How to use ComboFix, etc.

3) You have plenty of people who need help so you can refine your skills while helping others out.

These 3 reasons, among others I will keep private, are major reasons I joined the MRTP here.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:51 AM

BC's Malware Removal Training Program provides hands on experience under the supervision of experts. It also provides access to private discussions in regards to malware removal and use of various specialized tools...much of which is not available to the general public.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users