Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possibly upgrading to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PGJ

PGJ

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:24 PM

I'm still very much on the fence ever since I heard about free upgrade a while back. I'm apprehensive on if it will end up bricking my machine, or if every application I have will not work anymore.

I have an old machine, pushing over 5 years, so I'm not sure if it would be able to handle it.

I'm pretty sure the smartest thing to do is back up everything first, I'm not sure if windows 10 would wipe restore points, or not.

I'm also not sure if Windows 10 would mess with a partition on my hard drive to restore to factory condition if something really weird happens. My machine has a hidden copy of Windows 7, accessible right after the BIOS check screen, I can press a key combination and it wipes the whole drive and reinstalls the OS.

I ran the Windows 8 install assist and btw, having the screen on 1024x768 is a horrible resolution. The install assist was saying that resolution is required and from what I understand, if you can't meet the Windows 8 minimum requirements, Windows 10 won't work.

So that brings me to my first incompatibility issue, is my computer is not equipped Secure Boot, which I think is something that the BIOS chip has to have, right?

That was the only real issue it had, I think the other issues it showed were cosmetic, like sidebars gadgets.

Oh, I should probably also mention, my HDD is 200GB and I'm about at 50% now, but trying to free up some space by removing junk, so it will be just the OS and only applications I use a lot.

Also, I don't know if it matters, but over a month ago, Windows did that thing where it was forcing people to upgrade. It did that to me too and really got under my skin. It 'finished' with it's psudo upgrade after a couple hours, it only stopped right at the end of the upgrade. It was on a splash screen, before the desktop launch to ask me to accept, or decline the TOS. I declined and it reverted back. I'm really glad it didn't wreck my machine, I would have been livid. Since it did get that far, is that an indication that Windows 10 did work, or was that still not a complete install?

Edited by hamluis, 07 July 2016 - 04:20 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:01 PM

There has been much discussion about the concerns you express about the upgrade. For me, it is a no-brainer. The related article below exemplifies some of the reasons why Windows 7 users will let their "free upgrade" lapse (of which I am one). I am currently trying to absorb as much Linux as I can as alternative to M$.

Hope this helps.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/five-reasons-not-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/?ref=yfp

#3 PGJ

PGJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:48 PM

Thanks. I'll look in to it. I checked my manufactures page and they provided a list of all their models that is Windows 10 compliant and from what I saw, I didn't see mine on that list, so that could be my answer there.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:00 AM

Check the sites linked below.....I feel the first one is probably the better of the three.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-computer-device-app-compatibility-windows-10

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/check-computer-runs-windows-10/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/windows-10-specifications

It is most likely that you may get a warning that some piece of hardware (devices) is not capable.

In such a case you are faced with either replacing the 'device' in your pc with something that will pass the test.....or staying with win 7 for the duration of its remaining life, or updating to win 8.1 or moving to Linux.

You said you run certain apps a lot           depending on what those apps are there may well be an equivalent in Linux.

I moved my entire 'fleet' to Linux and have never looked back. Not because win 10 would brick my machine, but because I have finally become fed up with Msft's attitude etc (privacy issues etc )

Anyway....check carefully if your pc will run win 10.....then read read read  about win 10's issues, what is does and doesnt do.....any further questions....ASK !!

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:49 PM

In the 25 plus upgrades/installs I've done of Win10 on family/friends etc I've had 100% positive results. All are older pc or laptops some with only 2GB of Ram and more than 5 yrs old.

There was only one with a minor hiccup (startup issue iirc) that required one change in the Bios and all was well.

As of late most all issues go away after first update with 10 IMHO.

Be sure and backup prior to upgrade.

Check Activation after Upgrade/updates.

Than do a "Clean Install" using MS MediaCreation Tool

Update and reinstall programs

A quick visit to "Blackvipers SAFE disabled services list" along with a shot of WindowsPrivacey Tweaker and all the MS chatter is well under control.

An alternative thought might be to consider replacing/upgrading the 200GB HD after you do the upgrade. Than set it aside.

The Upgrade shouldn't effect system (factory) partition  but doing a "Clean Install" after the upgrade very possibly could depending on method used.

Always do a Clean Install after an upgrade.

If your HDD is Sata (not IDE) SSDs are very cheap right now (Newegg $80.00 250GB SSD) and breath some new life into an older machine.

If you ever change machines the SSD can easily be moved to it and re-imaged.

If nothing else at least upgrade to a 7200rpm HDD. Either one will make a very noticeable improvement and allow you to keep the original factory image.

On a side note, no programs ness to have Win10 look and act so close to Win7 that even my 87 yr old mother took the change to Win10 lol. (no joke)

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:30 PM

In general my philosophy is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  I've been running the insider versions of 10 on two desktops since 10/1/2014 and the release version on my laptop since 12/26/2015 and haven't found any significant problems with 10.  The test desktops are 6 years old, don't have Secure Boot or UEFI, and work just fine.  I just finished upgrading 28 five year old Dell desktops from 7 to 10 where I do volunteer work and that went without a hitch.  We upgraded these to 10 because they're used for teaching.  However my main 3 year old Dell desktop is running Windows 10 Pro, and there's nothing wrong with it either.  I've installed the GWX Control Panel on that desktop to keep MS from shoving 10 down my throat on it since it's not broken, and I don't have anything on it needing to be fixed.  

You can turn Secure Boot off in the BIOS/UEFI if you have it.  By all means make a full system backup to an external hard drive before making any significant system change.  The only really new things in 10 are Edge and Cortana, neither of which I find beneficial to me.  Re SSDs, they are truly much faster than hard drives, but you can get by without them if you prefer.  I've seen 120 GB ones as low priced as $40 and 240 GB ones starting at $60.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users